Thread: About to pull the trigger - how much of a concern is rust?

About to pull the trigger - how much of a concern is rust?

Hi... new here. I'm a W204 guy, but have always had a love for the 202. I've been hunting for a 1998 C230 (don't want the supercharger, do want the new interior) for a while, and finally found what I think is the one. I want it as a project/winter car.

128K miles. Newer brakes, tires, just had the AC fixed this past spring at the local MB dealer (could see a new drier under hood) - very clean underhood, quiet - drives and shifts well. Very clean inside - not well equipped but that doesn't bother me. A/C is cold, carpets are clean and it just got a new right rear window regulator. Wheels are in okay shape except one which has some gnarly curb rash - from the service records it looks like it got a new tire out of the deal from that one.

Negatives - the hood has a bit of a bend in it. It looks like either someone lightly tapped another car or they tried to close it from all the way up without pushing the release buttons. At any rate, it's minor and I can deal.

The worst part - the car has rust on both rear fenders. It's right at the leading edge of the wheel arch and I would say is 1/2 dollar sized. It's bubbled - not broken through. The undercarriage is clean and rust free, and it makes me wonder if the repairs for the rust wouldn't be that major.

It's carfaxed and checks out. Nothing on record, regularly serviced at the local MB dealer here.

--
    I guess the takeaway is this - should I be concerned with the rust - or is it not going to be that expensive to have repaired? The car has obviously seen a few automatic carwashes in its day - so the quality of the paint they would have to match is not that of a new car. I can go after it with an orbital and make it look great later. The car is white over ash MB-Tex.

Both of my w202s have had rust in the same exact spots. Can't prevent it in the northeast... Check the front fenders bottoms where they meet the side skirt. They rust there too. I got my c280 in '06 had a quarter size rust spot in the rear, sold it in '12 and it was maybe a 1/2 dollar sized. Wouldn't worry too much...
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

Hey and welcome. I had the same problem but my buddy who owns a body shop fixed it up for me. Rust is like cancer though it could always come back.
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars

I'd be a little concerned about it if I were going to be driving the car for 50 years.

Worst case scenario is every 15 years you spend less than $2,000 to have a pro body shop repair it.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

I agree with Sulaco 100%
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars

best solution is not to drive your car in winter if you have salt on the streets.
    or buy an audi with aluminium body

Might depend on the price. Is this a $1000 beater or $5000?