Thread: How to tell if Tensionser is bad?

How to tell if Tensionser is bad?

1994 c280

I had the tensioner replaced when I did a bunch of work on 3/11. I've only put on 25k since then.

I am about to go across country Friday and asked a tech to look over the car before I headed out. He said the tensioner is close to failing, which I find hard to believe since I had it replaced such a short time ago.

I pushed on the belt and there is some movement, but nothing I'd consider really loose. It's not squealing either. I looked at the gauge and the white line on the picture is where it's currently at.

My question is, how can he tell it's bad from a visual inspection? What do I need to look for? I've changed the belt a few times myself and know how to tighten it. However the tech wouldn't even swap the belt out for fear of the tensioner giving up the ghost. Now if I were not driving across country, I'd just go out there and tighten now. But now he's got me spooked and time is NOT on my side if something goes wrong. I don't see how it could be bad after 25k though, that doesn't seem right.

Thoughts appreciated.

How is the bearing in the roller ? Loose, noisy, rusty, check plastic for cracking, spin it and check if it's got a lot of play. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.

dot specification for trucks is 1/4 inch max play in belt I believe or 1 inch anywho aslong as it feels tight I wouldn't worry bout it

Where did you have the work done? Is it still under warranty? Some of these things do come bad and will wear, but if this mechanic isn't the one who replaced it I would check with the original mechanic and see what he says....at least call and check before you go out and replace something that could still be good. Also while you're at it check the paperwork and see what the warranties are (90 days parts and labor or 90 days labor with 1yr parts?) The last time I had mine done was two years ago and it is still going strong.....just my two cents....

Thank you for the replies, that helps put my mind at ease.

I had the work done at Continental Imports in Gainesville and they were top notch. Warranty was two years and I'm a bit past that. I talked to the service manager and he said the would warranty it even though we're outside the time frame. They found it unlikely that it would shot out, but also said it could be a possibility. Unfortunately they are 3.5 hours from me now and I am moving across country Friday. So it's just not in the cards to bring it by them.

There is some noise, which I'm quite sure is the tensioner shock (I remember that particular noise and replacing it myself about ten years ago) but that's it.

I'll check the play tomorrow and roller. When I pressed it down today, I'd say it was an easy 1/4 inch play. Firm, but not as firm as it should be. You're probably right, I'll more than likely be OK, but given the trek (about 3k miles) it's hard not to worry about it after he said it was worn out.

One thing about my c280 though, is that it has never left me stranded, ever.
    Last edited by SLCPUNK; 07-31-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Old school trick
    take a long Philips head screwdriver and place it on a non moving part near the pully,
    hold the handle near your ear, the screwdriver should carry the vibration to the handle and listen for anomalies between the pullys

this should help where any noises are coming from also
    rev the motor from under the hood and watch the pullys for any visible warped turning (loose bearings or just plane warped)
    Last edited by vaspen; 07-31-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: DAM ENTER!q

How to visualy check if a tensioner is going bad? - simple- if the tensioner arrow mark you have indicated in the picture above is jumping around excessively from a single position then it's on it's way out. A good new tensioner will only moderately move off a somewhat fixed position when you give the motor throttle imput, a bad tensioner will jump around regardless of throttle imput.

id take a vid of what my jeep dose on the power steering buut I don't wana scare anyone lol "wobble wobble wobble"

Drove from St. Pete beach to New Orleans yesterday with no problems. So far...so good. (touch wood.) Gas mileage is poor though , but I've got a fairly heavy load.

Thanks again for the feedback.

bah thts good I usualy have about 80,000pnds under my load XD

I pulled into my girlfriends driveway today and I feel my power steering go and my battery light come on....so I am like WTFFFF and I shut the car off pop the hood and see my pulley popped off and the belt slipped off...So luckily my buddy who is a certified mechanic who just happens to live a few streets away from my girlfriend swings by after I call him up and he tells me I will need a new pulley and new belt. So I will be replacing this tomorrow morning.
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars