Thread: why did I have to put spacers

why did I have to put spacers

Ey guys, so today i finally got my wheels put on, everything went smooth till I got to the fronts, without the spacers the back end of the wheels was rubbing against the control arm, I have read up on these wheels before I put them on and never read anything on needing soacers, the spacers where about a 16th of an inch, and helped me clear the rubbing, any input? Wheels 18 x8.5 f x 9.5 r

A man who knows how to, will always have a job, a man who knows why will be the boss....

because ideal offset for our cars is 32-35 and your kicks are et44... maybe even et46 rears... you need spacers to bring out the wheel and clear the insides.

I'm using 15mm spacers all around to run this set of wheels on my C280.

Thanks guys I really did know this, I guess I didn't do enough research lol

@snowwhitemerc what tire size and spacers are you running with? i have the sAme rims and im rubbing a lil bit with my fenders rolled im running 245/40 and 20mm spacers

Quote Originally Posted by joshwwahhh View Post
    @snowwhitemerc what tire size and spacers are you running with? i have the sAme rims and im rubbing a lil bit with my fenders rolled im running 245/40 and 20mm spacers
    I'm running 225/40 in the front and 235/40 in the back, I only have spacers in the front, honestly not sure what size they are, they didn't have marking on them and I didn't have a micrometer to measure them but wild guess i would say there .250 thousands of an inch, I'm dropped on bilstiens h and r springs

Really no spacers in the rear? And your not rubbing on the rear insides at all?

Really no spacers in the rear? And your not rubbing on the rear insides at all?
    Yeah bro no spacers in the rear at all and no rubbing what's so ever on top of that my rear springs are shot, there making my back sag a little

Hmm ima try running those rims without spacers in the rear. I actually just took em off :/ lol

Hmm ima try running those rims without spacers in the rear. I actually just took em off :/ lol
    Yea I still got mine on, I shouldve took them for the salt but ill deal we just washing them off when need be, but lmk what happens w/o the spacers

man it must suck having to change wheels and worry about salt and rust on the roads back east. But yeah You guys could always try smaller tire sizes before going with spacers. I ran a CLS 18x9.5 on a c280 at +8et using a 25mm spacer and a 215/40/18 tire. front setup was a CLS 18x8.5 +8et after 20mm spacer with 215/35/18
    1996 C280 elegance edition - SOLD 9/21/2013.
    1999 C43 AMG - Bagged, Daily driver.

@snowwhitemerc yeah i sure will!
    @sd202 i think i may have bought tires too big for the fitment i want i just got my 245/40 so i will run with these for now til i need new tires then ill go smaller tires im thinking 235/35 in rear.

@snowwhitemerc yeah i sure will!
    @sd202 i think i may have bought tires too big for the fitment i want i just got my 245/40 so i will run with these for now til i need new tires then ill go smaller tires im thinking 235/35 in rear.

yeah that size will fit. Just not "stanced" or "fitted" lol Just run em. no point in throwing out good tires. get your moneys worth. then change it up. if you have a really bad rub you can always try to give it a slight roll/pull.
    1996 C280 elegance edition - SOLD 9/21/2013.
    1999 C43 AMG - Bagged, Daily driver.

@sd202 already pulled and rolled my fenders still rubs on bumps i just need to run smaller tires but i will be running these for a while