Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, a couple minor issues with 99 C43

New here, a couple minor issues with 99 C43

Hi all, im new here, long time W202 owner/driver from the east coast of Australia.

Just moved up from the 95 C180 Esprit ive had for over ten extremely trouble free years and 353,700klms with hardly a cent spent. Still got the car, will likely keep it.

Had my 99 C43 for abit over two weeks now, just rolled over 110,000klms yesterday, exceptional condition. The oil light came on about a week after i got it telling me to add 2.0lts, dip stick says slightly over full ( it covers the letters "max" on the dipstick ) Got another level sensor coming, no big deal at all.

The minor issue im having is only when cold, id say prior to entering closed loop operation, but not certain on that. Never happens warmed up.

If i put the boot in, itll go 'ok' til about 3,200-4,000rpm, then all of a sudden pull strong as an ox. When warmed up, itll pull strong the whole way, no issue.

It doesnt seem to be running rough, but this car is so bloody quiet its hard to say for sure. It was much worse when i first got the car, over the course of a week it improved a fair bit, but has no leveled off.

I have had the trans serviced and it was like new, works perfectly. I also did the reset on it and that improved its shift points, but that isnt the issue here.

If i start the car up and allow it to run for 3-5 minutes before i drive, all actually seems fine.

Im interested to know what people think could be the cause of this only when cold issue.

Apart from this, the car is everything i dreamed it would be, and its still a W202

Hmm. Neither of mine do that. But as a rule of thumb on an older car with more than 300 hp and a transmission that costs a fortune to rebuild, I never give much throttle below 40 Celsius on the temp gauge. My transmissions are fine, and I need them to stay that way!

But that's not answering your question at all. Sorry. Is it delivering any trouble codes? Could be a stored code with no check engine light.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Welcome to the forum, I dont see to many C43's for sale over there with low km's!.

Must be Low grade Ausi fuel?

It's not a common fault I've seen, as Sulaco mentioned, get the codes read theres possibly a stored code with no check light.

Could be MAF or o2 sensor related. Or maybe the butterfly's in your manifold are not closing(long shot, but seeing as its got low K's and been sitting alot the oil inside might have turned to glue - I've heard this happens with M113's sitting in parts yards)

Regards,
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Quote Originally Posted by AMG KC View Post
    Hi all, im new here, long time W202 owner/driver from the east coast of Australia.

Just moved up from the 95 C180 Esprit ive had for over ten extremely trouble free years and 353,700klms with hardly a cent spent. Still got the car, will likely keep it.

Had my 99 C43 for abit over two weeks now, just rolled over 110,000klms yesterday, exceptional condition. The oil light came on about a week after i got it telling me to add 2.0lts, dip stick says slightly over full ( it covers the letters "max" on the dipstick ) Got another level sensor coming, no big deal at all.

The minor issue im having is only when cold, id say prior to entering closed loop operation, but not certain on that. Never happens warmed up.

If i put the boot in, itll go 'ok' til about 3,200-4,000rpm, then all of a sudden pull strong as an ox. When warmed up, itll pull strong the whole way, no issue.

It doesnt seem to be running rough, but this car is so bloody quiet its hard to say for sure. It was much worse when i first got the car, over the course of a week it improved a fair bit, but has no leveled off.

I have had the trans serviced and it was like new, works perfectly. I also did the reset on it and that improved its shift points, but that isnt the issue here.

If i start the car up and allow it to run for 3-5 minutes before i drive, all actually seems fine.

Im interested to know what people think could be the cause of this only when cold issue.

Apart from this, the car is everything i dreamed it would be, and its still a W202

I very recently had an issue driving my C230K on a cold start - noted that the supercharger (acting as an air pump) was louder than usual. I took it on the road [note, no check engine light] immediately and noted that the transmission hesitated when shifting between 1st and 2nd (in sport mode) and then 2nd to 3rd (in regular driving and in winter mode). After warming up it drove fine. Took it to work and spent a very long late night diagnosing the issue: Found the ECU sending a load signal too high to the transmission and while also causing the engine to run lean during cold starts.

Ordered a remanufactured ECU for $300 (including sending my core in), replaced the ECU and my cold start problems went away

On a side note, my transmission is still leaking a decent amount of fluid from the rear main seal and the pilot bushing.

Also, the instrument cluster will illuminate the oil-lamp if there is both low AND excessive oil levels. Non-combustible substances will collect on the bottom of the oil pan and cause the oil level to rise [Mercedes TSB DDAF18 40-U-8042A].
    Last edited by W202FTW; 01-23-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Sorry i havent got alot of time at the moment so thisll have to be real quick til later

Firstly thanks for the welcomes

Its absolutely not transmission related.

There were no codes a week ago when it was checked out and had transmission serviced.

Fuel used is 98 RON BP premium unleaded.

This time of year in Australia, itll be well over 40°c after 2 or 3 minutes of running. Very warm weather here lately

Idles perfectly fine right from cold. Foot all the way down or just part way down, issue is the same, obviously the pickup is alot more savage when it hits if youre at WOT.

Oil light tells me to add two litres of oil, the cluster in the 230 is different according to the manual. But thats ok, its sorted, got new part coming to swap out.

Pagz, you mension butterflies inside the manifold, what do they do and where are they?

Is there a way to check the DTCs without a computer or is there something i can get for a laptop?

Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Pagz View Post
    Welcome to the forum, I dont see to many C43's for sale over there with low km's!.

Must be Low grade Ausi fuel?

It's not a common fault I've seen, as Sulaco mentioned, get the codes read theres possibly a stored code with no check light.

Could be MAF or o2 sensor related. Or maybe the butterfly's in your manifold are not closing(long shot, but seeing as its got low K's and been sitting alot the oil inside might have turned to glue - I've heard this happens with M113's sitting in parts yards)

Regards,
    My first thoughts were possibly the MAF causing a minor issue when cold until the O2 sensors come into play and correct it, but id expect they would give a more permanant correction than something that re-occurs every start.

I used to do alot with C4 Corvettes tuning and drivability wise, mostly 94-95 but others as well. I dont have any info on the operational parameters of the Mercedes engine management system though, so i dont know under what conditions they go into closed loop, or if the O2s get the most absolute say in fuel management.

The fact itll run flawless when warmed up leads me to think the O2s should be fine, but i dont know enough to be certain.

Its got full books with every service, but there is work completed that was NOT listed in the book.

Welcome! I cant really help you with your problem but would like to see some pics of your car in the members gallery some time. All the best with your car issue.
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars

Quote Originally Posted by 98Benzo View Post
    Welcome! I cant really help you with your problem but would like to see some pics of your car in the members gallery some time. All the best with your car issue.
    Hey no problem I will get around to that soon!

Ive just got home from work, so after the car cools down i will try to get the air filter box off and look at that MAF and throttle plate.

Ive never seen how the filter comes off but looks like the whole box clips in place??

Pagz, i see some sort of vacuum operated device at the front of the intake manifold, is this some relation to the butterflies you spoke of? Is this EGR? If that was open when cold it could be the cause...

Under the AMG cover is an item missing from my engine compared to pics ive seen. There are a few unused plugs there. What is missing and is it a USA only piece of emissions equipment not fitted to my Australian model?

This here:

Just another quick update, i pulled the MAF out and pulled it apart to clean it, it was not really the cleanest ive seen. Put the car all back together and it seems to still run identical, which i sort of expected it would.

Another thing i noticed when sitting still, slight throttle applied, the engine RPM will go up and down abit, where i expect it should sit steady.

That would be the vacuum pump I believe. I've never seen one missing that piece! Can't imagine why the aussie model would not have it!
    CURRENT:

Hmmm, well mine must still have it somewhere, cause the dash vents all work and change position without the engine running!! So do the headlight adjustments!!

My 95 C180 wont change anything vacuum related without the engine running, except the central locking, but the vacuum pump for that burned its motor out so i removed it, rebuilt it with a new motor, which was chinese and lasted two weeks. So i removed it again, lock the fuel door from inside the boot, lock the boot with the key, then dont bother locking the doors. That is the ONLY thing that has ever stopped working in that car, the engine harness has alot of silicone on it ( for obvious reasons im sure youll all know well ), but it still runs perfect

That's a very curious situation you have going on there. Where would they relocate it and why? There's an auxiliary pump in the trunk in the same spot as your C180 that should handle all battery operated vac operations. This one is the main pump that runs with the engine, I believe. Or I'm completely wrong..??

It's the air pump indeed.

Here's a thread with someone having their's rebuilt:
    http://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c5...-location.html

And it's the SECONDARY. The one in the trunk is primary. I had them backwards.

By the way, you can scan for trouble codes at most parts stores for free if you just go in and ask them. If you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store for $5 called Torque and use a $20 bluetooth OBDII scanner to check/erase codes and much, much more (like real-time diagnostics, sensor monitors, etc).
    Last edited by Sulaco; 01-24-2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: link
    CURRENT:

Guys,
    Not all M112/M113 are fitted with air injection(so the space is ment to be empty in front of the intake manifold),the pump is used to inject fresh air into the exhaust to improve emissions on startup,mostly used in the American market.

None of the AU or NZ new C43's had the air pump(as well as the second set of o2's)

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post

By the way, you can scan for trouble codes at most parts stores for free if you just go in and ask them. If you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store for $5 called Torque and use a $20 bluetooth OBDII scanner to check/erase codes and much, much more (like real-time diagnostics, sensor monitors, etc).
    No parts stores in Australia do that as far as i know, but i would certainly rather do it myself if possible. I had many years on the PCMs used in Corvettes as well as F and B body cars, its just a matter of getting everything i need for a real car i guess

Guys,
    Not all M112/M113 are fitted with air injection(so the space is ment to be empty in front of the intake manifold),the pump is used to inject fresh air into the exhaust to improve emissions on startup,mostly used in the American market.

None of the AU or NZ new C43's had the air pump(as well as the second set of o2's)

Regards,
    Cheers mate, it certainly didnt appear as though something had been removed. I dont think ive ever seen any Australian car with air injection reaction systems fitted.

So what can you tell me about these butterflies Pagz?

If i was to disconnect the battery for a couple hours, is this going to be a potential inprovement if it forgets any bad habbits its learned or will it be of no use?

KC,
    The intake manifold is dual length ,butterflies are actuated by the diaphragm at the front of the manifold,from the solinoid you'll notice the small rubber line entering the lower front area of the manifold, this is not removable and is connected to a vacuum storage chamber/non-return valve that runs the length of the manifold. Often(and on the CLK55 I just got from Ausi) the rubber hose is brittle and perished and will fail at some stage, The manifold is expensive and a non-serviceable item,though some people find ways to pull it apart and repair it is not a simple task to make it as good as factory again.

You could actuate the butterflies by compressing the diaphragm by hand,If the change in power you experience is fairly extreme then I don't think this will be the problem, but worth a look anyway!

I don't think the battery disconnect will be of much use, it would be best to have all the stored codes read!.

Cheers!

Apparently no codes there at all when they looked abit over a week ago.

The change isnt what id call extreme, its just got nothing down low at all apart from quick snaps on the throttle, taking off from lights is where youll see what im refering to, revs build smooth but steady, then slow a little in their building around 3,200 before full power about 4,000.

What youre refering to could possibly be an issue.

What is the purpose of the dual length and under what situations does it change state?

No OBD2 socket on this car either apparently, only the round one under the bonnet on the left.

Guys,

Regards,
    absolutely correct.
    no euro C43's had the air pump fitted.
    mine is the same as Pagz C43

no secondary o2 sensors either, rears are plugged on mine

Any check engine light on yours?

KC,
    Was the scan performed by a MB service garage?.

Yep no OBD2 either,we need the standard 38 pin for diagnostics.

Varying runner length is to improve cylinder filling , I cant find the exact RPM when they change over but they default to the open position(short runner high RPM state) when there is no vaccum, when the engine starts and vaccum is created they close to form the long runner suitable for low down torque. have you tried actuating them by hand?.

Cheers,,

Quote Originally Posted by AMG KC View Post
    Any check engine light on yours?
    euro cars never had the CEL warning display in speedo cluster, only US cars had this option.
    wonder why MB never activated the CEL on euro cars?
    without CEL you never know when o2 sensors and airmass sensor go bad

KC,
    Was the scan performed by a MB service garage?.

Yep no OBD2 either,we need the standard 38 pin for diagnostics.

Varying runner length is to improve cylinder filling , I cant find the exact RPM when they change over but they default to the open position(short runner high RPM state) when there is no vaccum, when the engine starts and vaccum is created they close to form the long runner suitable for low down torque. have you tried actuating them by hand?.

Cheers,,
    Certainly was mate yes, by a Mercedes Benz trained person no less!!

I havent had a chance yet because the engine was too hot to touch it there yesterday, i dont work til 6pm today so i will have a gander abit later in the day.

Is there an adaptor of sorts to connect a WiFi or bluetooth scan tool to our cars?