Thread: Finally lowered my 99 c280

Finally lowered my 99 c280

So here it is, my 1999 c280 on bilstein sports with H&Rs #2 spring pads all around.

Wheels are 17x8 AMG repros.

Enjoy

I haven't noticed any issues yet but how do I go about correcting camber?

ride height looks like my euro factory setting on my c43 before i dropped my car

camber is corrected by 4 wheel alignment and adjustable camber arms which prevents your tires inner side shoulder getting worn
    with camber arms you get even tire wear across the tire tread

I really like the setup so far but one thing is bugging me; when I make a really sharp turn like a u-turn or going around a cul de sac, after turning the wheel one full rotation so that my tires are turned almost all the way and the wheel is at the 12 o'clock upright position- the wheel pulls turns itself the rest of the way as I roll forward (to the 6 o'clock %100 turned position) instead of straightening itself back out as it should.

Is this due to negative camber or something else?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by drewdowns; 04-22-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by drewdowns View Post
    I think my wheels might be 17x8.5 not 8.

I really like the setup so far but one thing is bugging me; when I make a really sharp turn like a u-turn or going around a cul de sac, after turning the wheel one full rotation so that my tires are turned almost all the way and the wheel is at the 12 o'clock upright position- the wheel pulls turns itself the rest of the way as I roll forward (to the 6 o'clock %100 turned position) instead of straightening itself back out as it should.

Thanks in advance.

did you get an alignment after you lowered it? you would most definitely need adjustable camber arms to correct it and get a lot of life in your tires or just face camber wear like a man...

I'm holding off on having it aligned because I don't have the camber parts yet.

Has anyone else had this issue before installing adjustable camber arms?

And what exactly do I search for online? 4 adjustable camber arms for a w202 for front and rear?
    Last edited by drewdowns; 04-22-2014 at 08:17 AM.

mine dose it too when I turn 3/4 the way it pulls the rest itself makes drifting a bitch lol

Quote Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
    mine dose it too when I turn 3/4 the way it pulls the rest itself makes drifting a bitch lol
    I guess this is just something the car does after lowering, probably due to negative camber.

I found out today the camber is out by about 2 degrees. The guy at the shop told me Mercedes and BMW set camber slightly negative (maybe .5) from the factory to make the car handle better. I decided to go for a set of rear adjustable camber arms I found on the forums here and an adjustment bolt from the dealership that can help me dial in maybe .5 on the front. This I'll be sure to post results after installation and alignment

h&r springs

lol holly shit when i opened this i thought it was my car becuase i had lowered it recently and my new wheels look somewhat the same i was like what the hell i never posted my car haha anyways. here is what my car looks like with just H&R sport springs. everything else is stock suspension wise. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	234.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	2114

Quote Originally Posted by drewdowns View Post

Thanks in advance.
    yeah by the way my steering wheel does the same thing when turning and i don't know what its from. i did a 4 wheel alignment and that didn't fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sako818 View Post
    lol holly shit when i opened this i thought it was my car becuase i had lowered it recently and my new wheels look somewhat the same i was like what the hell i never posted my car haha anyways. here is what my car looks like with just H&R sport springs. everything else is stock suspension wise. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	234.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	2114
    Haha it does look very similar.

And yeah about the turning issue; its definitely due to the camber being out even if it isn't noticeable with the naked eye. There are rear adjustable arms that you can buy on the forum here and an adjustable bolt from the dealership (I picked up 4 2 for each control arm on the front and it cost me $100) I will post an update as soon as I find the time to install everything.