Thread: Saved from the crusher

Saved from the crusher

Just when I thought the journey would end with this 1994 C280 it has been revived and postpones an appointment with a crusher. About a month ago I was involved in an accident where I was rear ended and sandwiched. As the car is twenty years old I knew right away the insurance company would total the car. With two destroyed bumpers, tented hood and coolant leaking from under the car, I thought this was it.

Before the accident

After the accident

In the end the insurance did deem the car a total loss with repair estimates over $9K. I received a decent settlement for a car of this age and then they told me the salvage value should I want to keep the car....$250. Well against the advise of everyone I know, I bought the car back. This of course leads me to the first part of my journey. I started tearing things down and started putting together a list of things that were needed. The radiator had a hole carved into it from the power steering pump so that was first on the list. The radiator support was shaped like a Pringle so that was added to the list. It was only later that I discovered I also needed a fan clutch bearing, fan clutch, and fan blades. All these items took the brunt of the hit and although visually looked fine, nothing was salvageable. Here is where a bit of luck came my way. Through a classified on this forum I was able to get the hood, radiator support, radiator, ac condenser, electric fans and power steering cooler lines. This left me only to have to source the headlight lens and the mechanical fan parts. While I had everything apart I also decided to change the water pump. This delayed the reassembly for at least a week as I waited for parts delivery. Slowly everything started to come back together but it was hard at times as seeing a broken up car in the garage everyday makes you wonder if the right decision was made. Slowly things started to come together and the car started to look like a car again.

Fitting of the support, electric fans, power steering cooler lines and radiator

One of the more difficult parts to source was the headlight lens as I had retrofitted the Factory Xenon headlights. Prices ranged from $396 to $125 with the cheaper one online. As you can already guess I went the cheap route and while I had to wait for a week and a half for the lens, it was indeed the correct xenon lens and for that I'm thrilled. The headlight wipers had to be deleted as the motors took a big hit and were mearly a bucket of small parts. The focus has now shifted from making a C280 the factory should have built to a cheap daily runner. Also gone is the C36 look.

Waiting for the waterpump, belt drive parts and headlight lens (the blackeye look). Used hood installed with a new genuine grill.

Once the mechanicals were done it was discovered the ac system had completely discharged. The system held the previous charge for three weeks after the accident so I thought this could be at the condenser connections as those were shifted a bit getting the waterpump and radiator sorted. One o-ring and two punds of freon later and the ac is again working. Pulled a vacuum before charging the system and it held overnight so this recharge ends the mechanical repair of the car. It is fully operational abeit a bit ugly.

Beginning to look like a car again

Testing the o-ring repair

Now that the car was running I was able to drive it over to my storage garage where I had kept the stock bumpers after I did the C36 body kit upgrade. Just for consistency I removed the AMG side skirts and painted door moldings as with the stock bumpers the car would look "off". In anycase here she is just waiting to get the hood painted. BTW if anyone in the SF Bay area has a hookup for someone who can paint the hood, please let me know. Thanks.

Current state just waiting for paint

Prior to side skirt removal
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

Good job. 250 usd is peanuts for a car you know the history of.

They sold me back my C43 for $300
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

yay! she lives!

Took it for a 100 mile shake down drive and so far all seems good. During the drive I realized how nice it drives and how much it was missed.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

ugh, I already regretting selling my 94 C280 to a scrapper. now I REALLY miss it. there's just something about pre-update w202's with an m104.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-