Thread: 4 cylinders -> 6 cylinders swap, rpm tacho reading

4 cylinders -> 6 cylinders swap, rpm tacho reading

Hi I am wondering what do people that have done 4 to 6 (or more) cylinders engine swap do to make their tacho read correctly?? I have replaced the 4 cylinders in my c220 with a 6 cylinders engine and my rpm tacho reads 50% more than what it actually is. (engine 4000rpm tacho shows 6000rpm)

It has been running like that for years and I just read the actual RPM from my RSM no big issues.
    But it would be really sweet if the tacho reads correctly and we all know analog beats digital when it comes to things such as RPM tacho. :P

surely ppl that have done swapping the 4 cylinders out for 280/36/43 have managed to make it work?
    Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by evevevevev View Post
    Hi I am wondering what do people that have done 4 to 6 (or more) cylinders engine swap do to make their tacho read correctly?? I have replaced the 4 cylinders in my c220 with a 6 cylinders engine and my rpm tacho reads 50% more than what it actually is. (engine 4000rpm tacho shows 6000rpm)

It has been running like that for years and I just read the actual RPM from my RSM no big issues.
    But it would be really sweet if the tacho reads correctly and we all know analog beats digital when it comes to things such as RPM tacho. :P

surely ppl that have done swapping the 4 cylinders out for 280/36/43 have managed to make it work?
    Any thoughts would be really appreciated.
    I know this is an old thread, but you can use the instrument cluster from the donor car to make it read correctly. Model year does matter though and will not be comparable with certain years.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================