Thread: srs bas esp abs lights are all on 1999 c43

srs bas esp abs lights are all on 1999 c43

All I did was Change the steering wheel out for an aftermarket wood wheel. Now i have the SRS light (which i expected and can live with because my c280 had this light on when i installed a wood wheel) However The 1999 c43 i now own doesnt like aftermarket wheels. Im using a momo hub for w202 so I have the clock spring in place as well as the horn everything works. I lined up the mark on the steering hub and the mark on the center spline. The abs, esp/bas lights are all on now. I turn the wheel full left and full right to do the reset. all the warning lights go away. but turn back on shortly after. Is there any way to code out these lights? or at least trick the abs and bas/esp lights into thinking the air bag is hooked up and working correctly using the SDS? I know the systems themselves are fine because ten minutes before changing my steering wheel there were no lights on my dash. hopefully someone else who has a c43 with aftermarket steering wheel can chime in on this. Any help or advice is appreciated. I know that on older model 202s only the srs light comes on. when the air bag is unhooked.
    1996 C280 elegance edition - SOLD 9/21/2013.
    1999 C43 AMG - Bagged, Daily driver.

Controlled area network is not happy with you ...

You're using the stock clock spring but with unplugged airbag?
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    You're using the stock clock spring but with unplugged airbag?

LOL at remo, This I know! Maybe im just to anal about my cluster being lit up like a xmas tree took it for a spirited drive. the ABS and ESP systems seem to be operating still however the lights are on. Super puzzling. I guess ill be taking it to my local tech soon. And yes using the stock clock spring. I learned the hard way to not remove it on my c280. Couple hundred dollar mistake.

I'm puzzled why on earth you would trade that nice factory wheel for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    I'm puzzled why on earth you would trade that nice factory wheel for something else?
    my steering wheel is supposed to be the two tone blue and black steering wheel. the entire top is dry rotted and crumbles in my hand when I would make turns. the left side of the wheel has gotten so bad that the leather is peeling away from the frame. I would really like an oem wood wheel eventually or have my current wheel restored with the factory blue leather on top. Finding a OEM wood wheel to fit the AMG air bag is next to impossible. The one i did find however is $799.... So I went with an aftermarket Mahogany wheel from grip royal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3182.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	2240

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	2239

disregard the headliner i was in the process of putting it back in the car after repairing it.
    This will be my temporary setup until i can source a decent used OEM wood wheel that will fit my airbag, OR am able to have this wheel repaired. I didnt know of any reputable upholsters in the SD area that could do the job and havent looked into shipping it somewhere.

Name:	IMG_3281[1].jpg 
Views:	1784 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	2241

You can pay an upholstery shop to recover the blue part. Can't be too expensive. Getting this done in mine.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    You can pay an upholstery shop to recover the blue part. Can't be too expensive. Getting this done in mine.
    Let me know what it ends up costing you. I found this website also, Might give it a shot.
    http://www.craftcustoms.com/pages/Wh...witchboard.htm they can turn any OEM wheel into an OEM wood-wheel I have requested a quote to restore my amg wheel as they have done many mercedes wheels as it would appear from looking at their gallery.

If the wheel change is semi permanent you could possibly measure the resistance of the airbag and install a suitable resister to mimic.. that should help your situation. I've never measured the resistance on an airbag, it would require current to fire but I would still take extreme caution checking it
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Quote Originally Posted by Pagz View Post
    If the wheel change is semi permanent you could possibly measure the resistance of the airbag and install a suitable resister to mimic.. that should help your situation. I've never measured the resistance on an airbag, it would require current to fire but I would still take extreme caution checking it
    I have read somewhere that a two ohm resistor will do the trick and momo even supplys one with the W202 hub that plugs into the airbag portion however. when i installed that on my c280 it still had the srs light and my tech told me it would need to be coded out via SDS. or something along those lines.

I might have a correct resistor lying around. Or you can just pull the fuse to shut the light off but that would disable the srs altogether from my understanding. Non of this I would really suggest. Tampering with the SRS system can get you in legal trouble if something happens and you cannot sell a car unless buyer is aware of the srs system being inop w/ light illuminated.

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    I might have a correct resistor lying around. Or you can just pull the fuse to shut the light off but that would disable the srs altogether from my understanding. Non of this I would really suggest. Tampering with the SRS system can get you in legal trouble if something happens and you cannot sell a car unless buyer is aware of the srs system being inop w/ light illuminated.

How much do you want for the resistor? Is it possible for you to mail it to me in a regular letter envelope?
    Im not to worried about the legal issues of having my SRS disabled. I would never sell the car without putting the stock steering wheel back in to turn off all those warning lights lol. Honestly I really dont plan to sell this car, I would be at a loss if i did right now & It was sold to me by a buddy and fellow car enthusiast. He was once a member here also, his SN was D&W (Ed) he had the tan C230k RHD and LM1 reps back in Australia, He also is the owner of the stanceworks featured Accuair'd battleship grey W108 280se, And he was the previous owner of my C43. Except when he owned it. It was static on cut springs with chrome 18in monos from a E55.

You can get one like it at Fry's electrics for like $2.

Ill text you what ohms to get when I get home and a picture of the package.

You need a three ohm flameproof resistor. Mouser, Newark will have them. You will have to turn off the SRS light after you install the resistor. Fold the leads of the resistor over once to assure a tight fit in the yellow airbag connector. Tape it with electricians tape.

Oh yes, DO NOT attempt to measure the resistance of the airbag!

Quote Originally Posted by nhmercracer View Post
    Oh yes, DO NOT attempt to measure the resistance of the airbag!
    so any 3ohm flame proof resistor will work? What about the watts? If I take my multimeter and attempt to test resistance, What happens? bag fires? Not going to do this but just curious what would happen lol. thanks for the help NHMERC & REMO
    Last edited by SD202; 07-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Yeah its going to be the airbag and the clock spring. You need to reset the clock spring sensor. So if the ECU can't read the airbag or clock spring you'll have to just live with Christmas light in your car.
    And good luck on not blowing your airbag

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_AMG View Post
    Yeah its going to be the airbag and the clock spring. You need to reset the clock spring sensor. So if the ECU can't read the airbag or clock spring you'll have to just live with Christmas light in your car.
    And good luck on not blowing your airbag

airbag is fine, It would take an idiot to blow it. or someone with mischievous intent. My question about the lights has been answered, thanks tho. turns out its a 3.3ohm resistor in the harness that remedies the problem for those who have the same issue. link to said resistor
    http://www.amazon.com/3-3-Ohm-Flamep.../dp/B0002ZP0US