Thread: Change rear end ratio in C43 AMG

Change rear end ratio in C43 AMG

Hi all

What the title says, i think swapping out the stock rear end ratio in the C43 to a higher one of around 3.3ish :1 could improve it hugely.

Can it be done at all? If its been done, any info would be great

If i go a 55 engine swap im still looking toward a CL55, they all seem to be very low klms and well cared for, not really that much dearer than an E55 or CLK55 either, both of which generally have reasonably high klms.

Thanks in advance!!

I believe a 99' C230 kompressor had a 3.27 from the factory.

The swap is peanuts, but you will have to change coding in your trans computer. Otherwise you'll make it 2 yards and the car will lock you in limp mode.

And to be honest, going to that ratio w/out limited slip is pointless. You will be the king of single-tire burnouts every stop light.

230 K is with 3.46 but it's more intersting if it is that strong....

Yes it has to be one of equal or greater strength, or it wont last a heart beat.

I know the trans control needs to be reprogrammed yes, this is the biggest part i need to know if it can be done.

I cant spin the wheels at all now with the stock ratio unless the road is wet, ive got some pretty sticky Michelin Pilot 255s on there, although i would certainly like an LSD in there if it could be had.

Its far from pointless.

You're quite good if you're not spinning at every corner! Believe me!
    The only thing I'd do to a 43 is make it breath better and remap it.

P.S. ....if not turbo it... :P

Seems to breath very nicely as it is, remapping it may help since im on 98RON. Im not really sure what more you'd do to improve its intake or exhaust enough to warrant the effort.

After years of Corvettes and know just how much work can be done there its good to have a car that was built very well from the start. One plus for the Corvettes was the fact i could very easily remap and tune from my lap top while i drove the car. On the 94 i had i did so much porting and even cut the intake manifold open to remove more, then welded it back up... Glad those days are gone... It made a big improvement though.

I wouldn't be concerned with the strength of it .. They never fail on anything!

So you reckon the diff from the 230 will be as big and strong?

I did some looking around and found a couple places selling a Quaife diff that apparently just goes straight into the C43 with every required item included, although its dear as f***...

Can anyone confirm beyond doubt that there is indeed a Quaife part specifically for the C43?

Here in the states, the C43 and C230 have the same size pumpkin. Just different ratio.

Do you happen to know the diametter?

EDIT: And if you/anyone knows the diameter of the half shafts will be great!
    Last edited by KrumB; 09-02-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Are they a straight swap? As far as i know there is no C230K in Australia though.