Thread: KW Suspension

KW Suspension

So I am going to be putting the KW Suspension kit on my C36 with the next few months hopefully. Id like to start to document what I have done just in case any one else wants to do it.

Since its not a conventional coilover you can actually break the set up directly through KW and purchase the adjusters through them and run any shock or spring you want.

This is the response from the American KW rep regarding front and rear adjuster prices.
    "The front height adjusters are part #19000029 and they are $106.99 each and the rear height adjusters are part #19000048 and they are $110.99 each."

I'm going to keep my Bilstein shocks for now and look at pricing for swift springs.

Currently still organizing and pricing things out before any triggers get pulled.
    Last edited by SBC36; 09-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.

I could not find race springs the same diameter as the Mercedes OEM springs. You will most likely have to modify the spring cups to accept 3" I.D. or 2.5" ID if going to Swift barrel springs which are very nice choice. I never measured them exact but the OEM Merc spring are something like 100mm inside Dia. (almost aprox 4" ID).

I was going to go through the trouble of building some swivel cups but have to say I just ended up going with the conventional Mercedes spring pad setup which is really hard to beat both cost and setup wise.= for ride height adjustment. KW stuff is way over priced in my opinion- they are marketing to the typical deep pocket Mercedes/Porsche owner. Just fo a good set of Koni yellows and ditch the Bilstein idea- You have superior dampering adjustment with a far better bang for the buck. I would also look to use the H&R Supersport springs up front for the C43 V8 cars and a taller Spring pad )possibly a #2 or #3 to bring it up to about 25-25.5" fender height for a good camber curve and bump range. Anything lower and the toe goes to hell in deep travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    I could not find race springs the same diameter as the Mercedes OEM springs. You will most likely have to modify the spring cups to accept 3" I.D. or 2.5" ID if going to Swift barrel springs which are very nice choice. I never measured them exact but the OEM Merc spring are something like 100mm inside Dia. (almost aprox 4" ID).

I was going to go through the trouble of building some swivel cups but have to say I just ended up going with the conventional Mercedes spring pad setup which is really hard to beat both cost and setup wise.= for ride height adjustment. KW stuff is way over priced in my opinion- they are marketing to the typical deep pocket Mercedes/Porsche owner. Just fo a good set of Koni yellows and ditch the Bilstein idea- You have superior dampering adjustment with a far better bang for the buck. I would also look to use the H&R Supersport springs up front for the C43 V8 cars and a taller Spring pad )possibly a #2 or #3 to bring it up to about 25-25.5" fender height for a good camber curve and bump range. Anything lower and the toe goes to hell in deep travel.
    So I am still in contact with the rep from KW getting the spring specs for their kit because the adjusters change which spring diameter you need obviously but I am sure swift will make something that is the correct diameter for the KW adjusters. The reason I am going with KW is because when I was in Germany last month in the town of Fichtenberg where KW's main factory is based out of (town of around 2500 people), my friend knows the owners well from work related business. I got a full blown tour of their factory from the bottom up, unfortunately they dont allow cameras or any pictures inside otherwise I would post them. I was very impressed with their quality standards and handmade, tested products.

I may get different shocks but as for now Ill keep what I have in there.

How much is the kW setup?
    "The Best or Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by SBC36 View Post
    So I am still in contact with the rep from KW getting the spring specs for their kit because the adjusters change which spring diameter you need obviously but I am sure swift will make something that is the correct diameter for the KW adjusters. The reason I am going with KW is because when I was in Germany last month in the town of Fichtenberg where KW's main factory is based out of (town of around 2500 people), my friend knows the owners well from work related business. I got a full blown tour of their factory from the bottom up, unfortunately they dont allow cameras or any pictures inside otherwise I would post them. I was very impressed with their quality standards and handmade, tested products.

I may get different shocks but as for now Ill keep what I have in there.
    If KW is truely making new smaller sizes perches to accept 3"ID or even better the 2.5" ID springs (because I am a huge fan of barrell springs) then I a very interested.

Why? These cars have extremely long (tall) factory springs, so a slight reduction in free height of a spring so as to make room for the adjustable perch and top can perch would be a great setup for #1) setting corner weights, #2) using lighter weight spring assemblies (unsprung weight), and #3) the ability to use a magnitude of spring rate choices for cheap cost in order to tune a suspension balance. I jst am skeptical of added weight as well as how it would stay on the spring index unless its bolted or welded in. My guess is you are SOL and have to use KW supplied springs of OEM Merc sizes.

I am extremely happy with the outcome of the mismatching sets of H&R springs I used on my car (not the standard application for my car, but choices I opted for knowing they were for heavier nosed cars) but I would still like a slightly larger front spring rate in order to take out just a tad more brake dive. I was looking to just put some 15lb spring rubbers in (or maybe even try a pair of 25's if 15 still is not enough), but I would rather have this done without deadening active coils.

Dean
    Last edited by Vetruck; 09-02-2014 at 09:24 PM.

ps- I should note that what I jsut posted does not imply in any way that my setup would not turn heads- The little lady has commented many times how fun her car is to drive night and day difference compared to how it was when were first bought it.....it's just that to me being a chassis dynamics whiz, I seek perfection and I know my car is still leaving just a teenzy little 2 or 3 percent on the table under hard braking. Weight jacker setups would be a nice addition. Please keep us posted on what you find out with spring I.D choice using the KW setup.

Right now I am compensating for roll balance with the front Koni's on full(Highest of 3 rebound settings) and the rears on middle. I would like to get the fronts down to middle also so as to not hold the nose down under hard brake dive 1) lowering the front roll center and the entire roll axis angle, and two the rebound holding it down there and causing the tires to skip over heavier bumps under hard braking. A slight more increase in spring rate and decrease in rebound would suit me perfect. I could loosen the car better under heavy braking into very tight corners it the front stayed a little more put. I do not know how you guys with standard spring packages are turning. These cars really need a good increase in front spring rate over what the vendors are selling.

I will lastly note that I also put in a little more antidive with how I clocked the front Kmac bushing when I installed them and aligned it, This helped the brake dive also over the factory A-arm angle,
    Last edited by Vetruck; 09-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike51809 View Post
    How much is the kW setup?
    I think its around $2,000 but I am going to split the kit up and use some different parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    If KW is truely making new smaller sizes perches to accept 3"ID or even better the 2.5" ID springs (because I am a huge fan of barrell springs) then I a very interested.

Why? These cars have extremely long (tall) factory springs, so a slight reduction in free height of a spring so as to make room for the adjustable perch and top can perch would be a great setup for #1) setting corner weights, #2) using lighter weight spring assemblies (unsprung weight), and #3) the ability to use a magnitude of spring rate choices for cheap cost in order to tune a suspension balance. I jst am skeptical of added weight as well as how it would stay on the spring index unless its bolted or welded in. My guess is you are SOL and have to use KW supplied springs of OEM Merc sizes.

I am extremely happy with the outcome of the mismatching sets of H&R springs I used on my car (not the standard application for my car, but choices I opted for knowing they were for heavier nosed cars) but I would still like a slightly larger front spring rate in order to take out just a tad more brake dive. I was looking to just put some 15lb spring rubbers in (or maybe even try a pair of 25's if 15 still is not enough), but I would rather have this done without deadening active coils.

Dean
    Yea im still waiting for the spring specs from KW and then we will know what kind of springs we can match with the kit.

I have the KW clubsports, love their suspension! But for the amount they cost I do wonder what other kits you can get for less coin and similar or same results. I am also very picky when it comes to origination of the parts, there is a lot of knock off Chinese crap.

I've heard the customer support with KW is really good. But I just don't know how they come up with the prices and why is there such a dramatic price increase between KW V1-V3. The clubsports ran me $6k. The V3 were a bit less. (Not for a 202 though)

6k, really Remo? I'm a bit shocked. Are they more expensive in the U.S.?
    JJJ.

For my 911, so I'm sure the markup is greater on Porsche.