Thread: upper control arms

upper control arms

Can some one please provide a 100% positive answer, on what the part number is for c43 amg "upper control the only thing I really picked up on is,,, that the control arms differ from one being for sport suspension and the other is not...
    A man who knows how to, will always have a job, a man who knows why will be the boss....

I researched this a lot when I purchased some new upper and lower arms for my car. There are in fact two different designs. Most things you will see will state that the AMG and the Sport version Mercedes W202's had "reinforced upper control arms" that went with the Code 956 sport package. The arms themselves are NOT reinforced. The rubber bushings used in standard and the Code 956 arms ARE different. The 956 arms are stiffer.

What I confirmed though is most of the reputable after market parts manufacturers all make their replacement arms now with the stiffer code956 quality bushings. You can find the inferior softer bushings but those arms are a lot more rare AND are more expensive.

I will also note for my chassis dynamics expertise that with long spindle suspensions like these car do not exert a lot of force on the upper control arms as exerted on the lower control arm bushings. The bushing when new really will feel pretty much identical, its just the stiffer ones will hold up longer to abuse over years of use.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 09-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.

the difference is in a bump stop (well some sort of stop) on the post face lift ones

to confirm with everybody, i called the dealer and the correct number for amg are the following 210 330 8807 right side/ 210 330 8707 left side.
    A man who knows how to, will always have a job, a man who knows why will be the boss....

Quote Originally Posted by SnowwhiteMerc View Post
    to confirm with everybody, i called the dealer and the correct number for amg are the following 210 330 8807 right side/ 210 330 8707 left side.
    The thing that has always concerned me about buying inventory from a Mercedes dealer is old stock. How long ago were those parts made and bushings have been sitting installed on arms sitting on storage shelves. Those parts were in car models dating to 2003 in the SLK. So I highly doubt any production run has been done to restock old inventory since the cars have now ventured over the 10 year mandate to stock replacement parts. You will definately be buying old inventory rubber bushings.

Might I suggest what info I supplied above as for all manufacturers using the AMG specs for all replacement arms of this nature. it is silly for aftermarket to make several types of bushings in replacement arms of multiple application. For cost and inventory, they only reproduce the highest of a part line spec.

I can promise you these Moog arms are every bit as good, less in cost, and have better quality bushings that wil last longer then only old inventory OEM ones you will find.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...d=MOOG-RK90422

Been thinking about finishing up the renewal of the front end suspension on my w202.

Are the upper control arms something that will cause a big difference in handling if replaced on an older w202? I have 173,000 miles on my C230k and I've replaced all the bushings in the LCA, steering rack, lower ball joints and shocks in the front end of the car. Will changing out the Upper control arms do much or do they deteriorate at such a slow pace that it won't be necessary as this mileage?

Those MOOG Upper arms are an attractive price, plus I've read that the upper arms are alot easier to remove and replace on your own. But if it's not really necessary or effect handling that much, then i don't want to do it right now.

I'm torn between replacing the front upper arms, or the all the little rear ones that make up the independent multi-link suspension. It seems like changing the latter out will impact handling more.

Thank you for your answer
    1999 C230K Sport
    Upsolute Chip
    BMC Airfilter

Yea upper control will make a in handling and drive quality, the upper control arms hold the whole knuckle which everything is connected to calipers wheels and lower controls with that, the knuckle would fall down, @ vetruck I got uro parts uca's for 120 for both that shipping included, I usually by dealer parts when its something that relys on electrical or drive train..

Watch out for URO .... Better keep an eye on those upper arms! I've had BMW URO (customer supplied) control arms where the pressed in balljoints came apart. Bad day! Our repair facility no longer installs that brand of parts.

yeah i heard something about them prior to buying them, but i needed something quick, and affordable to finish my bag set up, being that the threads on the passenger side stripped..