Thread: windshield wiper not working

windshield wiper not working

so today in NY it snowed....went to try and push some snow off the windshield and it got stuck a little bit past half way and now its not moving when i use the stalk. i can manually move the wiper from the left side to right side and etc. and when i turn on the wiper..i can hear the motor running but its not going anywhere. can anyone help me with this problem?

Originally posted by junklar
    try this
    http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/wiper.html
    yea i saw that thread but that was for a working/moving wiper...mine aint moving at all lol. where in NYC are u at btw.

OG Moderator
    you need at least a new wiper motor, there is a plastic gear inside the motor that a worm gear moves.. the worm gear breaks and then the plastic gear strips in one spot. id recommend doing everything but its pretty pricey.
    at least replace the motor and linkage (linkage isnt very much).. the gearing is pretty expensive, you can probably hold off on that, but should really lube the gearing up, like in that link that is posted up.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

wait so i messed up the motor?? just by pushing some snow?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Green Lantern
    wait so i messed up the motor?? just by pushing some snow?
    well the reason that the wiper stops in the middle of the windshield and then all you can hear is the wiper motor working but nothing happening is because the wiper motor is internally broken.
    I think it was just going anyway.. and the fact it had something in the way put a lil too much resistance on it and it broke.

you can check the motor yourself if you take it all apart and open the back cover on the motor.. there will be a whole bunch of plastic shavings and a small piece of metal in there.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

i see...how much is this new motor?

OG Moderator
    not sure bud.. a couple hundred no doubt. youd have to call the dealer or look on ebay for one.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...@Wiper%20Motor

I would suggest opening up the wiper and try to figure out whats wrong before you go ahead and buy parts for the car.. you are going to need to open it up when you buy the new part

I'm in Queens.. where are you located?
    1995 C280

$180 dollars?? that sucks bad....damnit. freakin car is getting more and more expensive to maintain...first the rear main seal now this....im kinda near the Queens/LI border...

$180 dollars?? that sucks bad....damnit. freakin car is getting more and more expensive to maintain...first the rear main seal now this....im kinda near the Queens/LI border...
    maybe you can find one in the junk yard for $40

it really is expensive to maintain.. i put in over $2500 ever since I bought the car 6 months ago from an auction in LI, and it still has problems (whining sound, control arms need to be changed).. Also, I repaired a lot of things by myself

What year is your car?
    1995 C280

OG Moderator
    >>I would suggest opening up the wiper and try to figure out whats wrong before you go ahead and buy parts for the car<<

I think this is good advice. Also, read the posts in the other MB forums on the net. There are lots of posts in regard to repairing the mono wiper. Many people have been able to just repair components. You need to find a good parts person to get the parts if you are looking for new. I think Rusty at buymbparts.com has been good at getting sub-parts verus the whole assembly.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

motor was dead...fixed at a "friend" mechanic for $350 :cry:....told my parents we got ripped off and so we did....

Can anybody recommend a good white lithium grease?

Originally posted by xvvvz
    >>I would suggest opening up the wiper and try to figure out whats wrong before you go ahead and buy parts for the car<<

I think this is good advice. Also, read the posts in the other MB forums on the net. There are lots of posts in regard to repairing the mono wiper. Many people have been able to just repair components. You need to find a good parts person to get the parts if you are looking for new. I think Rusty at buymbparts.com has been good at getting sub-parts verus the whole assembly.
    What kind of sub-parts can Rusty get? I am looking for a tiny part that makes up a part of the drivers side mirror. It actually helps hold the glass of the mirror in the housing.

motor was dead...fixed at a "friend" mechanic for $350 :cry:....told my parents we got ripped off and so we did....
    Wow.. they probably charged more because it was a mercedes.. that's what an autobody shop did to me
    1995 C280

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    so today in NY it snowed....went to try and push some snow off the windshield and it got stuck a little bit past half way and now its not moving when i use the stalk. i can manually move the wiper from the left side to right side and etc. and when i turn on the wiper..i can hear the motor running but its not going anywhere. can anyone help me with this problem?
    I know this is an old thread however the same thing has happened to me. I was wondering did anyone manage to fix their non moving wiper by opening it up and lubing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    I know this is an old thread however the same thing has happened to me. I was wondering did anyone manage to fix their non moving wiper by opening it up and lubing it?

I am having the same problem on my 1998 C230. Went to the grocery store, it was pissing rain wiper worked mint. Came out of store started car went to use wiper and all I could hear is the wiper motor running and the wiper arm wouldn't move, thank god it stopped raining too....Is this just the motor?? I am bringing it in tmrw for my mechanic to have a look. I know there is a car at the junkyard in my area and I am going to wipe the whole assembly if this is the issue. Any help in the mean time. Thanks
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars

lubricate the arm with silicone lubricant... but if u must open the wiper motor assembly, grease it generously.

Got a used wiper motor from the junkyard for $50. Did it myself in about an hour. Problem fixed