Thread: Worrying clunking noise

Worrying clunking noise

Hey , so the other day i was reversing out of my garage and had to stop suddenly (to avoid running over my cat :P) and i heard this clunk noise from the front wheels ,
    so i did some testing to try and figure it out , when i reverse and stop suddenly the front wheel shudders and makes a bad clunking noise
    i was wondering if anyone would know what part would be causing this (ie , ball joints , tie rods etc)
    i figured i should fix this before it gets worse.

In Charge
    Check your springs, shock bolts are tightened, and your brake pads.

Have you popped off your wheel and looked at the car yet?

i have removed the wheel and looked and have failed to find any obvious loose bolts etc , i should probably have a more in depth look , if it helps the shudder clunk doesn't happen when braking going forward , and if it helps as well there seems to be a slight amount of play in the steering wheel when car is switched off i don't know if this is normal or not ,
    thanks for help

does it clunk going over speed bumps and what not?

its hard to tell because i dont really take any notice all i really hear is a the odd squeak but not really any noticeable clunks

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin w202 View Post
    Hey , so the other day i was reversing out of my garage and had to stop suddenly (to avoid running over my cat :P) and i heard this clunk noise from the front wheels ,
    so i did some testing to try and figure it out , when i reverse and stop suddenly the front wheel shudders and makes a bad clunking noise
    i was wondering if anyone would know what part would be causing this (ie , ball joints , tie rods etc)
    i figured i should fix this before it gets worse.
    Jack the car up and see if the lower control arm bushings are toast.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by W202FTW View Post
    Jack the car up and see if the lower control arm bushings are toast.
    Yes will do , what is a tell tale signs of failed ones? and is there a proper procedure for finding this? i have seen people put a pry bar in and wiggle it but im not sure if that's an effective method or not ?

if the lower control arms bushings are gone then over bumps there will be a very noticeable clunk

+1 on the LCA bushings.

Had to replace mine recently, clunk for me was only noticeable in reverse for some reason though.

Quote Originally Posted by 8=Anonymous=8 View Post
    +1 on the LCA bushings.

Had to replace mine recently, clunk for me was only noticeable in reverse for some reason though.
    Thanks , ill take a look into the LCA bushes , where did you purchase them from in AUS?

Just through Imparts, gotta look back for the price though.

In looking at the lower control arm bushings look mainly at the rear ones!! You will need a small flashlight. In looking at them it is pretty obvious if it is toast or not. My lil 96 c-280 did the same thing, only in reverse could you hear the clunk. Check out fupabox vids there be a link in the top of repair section. He covers alot!! I changed mine out with the help of a 25 ton press.

Quote Originally Posted by taz069 View Post
    In looking at the lower control arm bushings look mainly at the rear ones!! You will need a small flashlight. In looking at them it is pretty obvious if it is toast or not. My lil 96 c-280 did the same thing, only in reverse could you hear the clunk. Check out fupabox vids there be a link in the top of repair section. He covers alot!! I changed mine out with the help of a 25 ton press.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10407390_10203032326271834_8466436571421026867_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	2396
    is this the bush u meant? sorry about the bad picture its the best picture i could get before work :P

Hard to tell with that pic. The rear bushing is going to be toward the cab of the car not toward the front. The front bushings look solid, and the rears at least on mine with factory bushings are shaped like a pyramid. 3 points out from the center with the bolt thru the middle, with open spaces at 3 points. Mine were so wore out that the you could see the center bolt was in a totaly wrong position. Watch the stiky on fupabox!! As in his vid when i tore mine apart i could simply push the center section out by hand.

better get this polybushing for inner arm, replacing larger bad factory bushing seen in the other picture

I have to agree with Kowalski go with poly bushings unless you have access to a large hydrolic press!! The bushings I got were rocko's and had the metal casing around the bushing and were a pain in the arse!!

Quote Originally Posted by taz069 View Post
    I have to agree with Kowalski go with poly bushings unless you have access to a large hydrolic press!! The bushings I got were rocko's and had the metal casing around the bushing and were a pain in the arse!!
    Haha ok i will have to look for some poly bushes then.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin w202 View Post
    Haha ok i will have to look for some poly bushes then.

i think there is only one set of poly bushings available and that is for the wrong designed inner bushing, poly bush ONLY replaces the larger bushing

maybe there's a company making full sets of polybushings for w202, however i am not familiar with any company?

Drop fupabox a line in his vid he replaces i believe both lower bushings with the poly bushings.

Hows the front end work comming along??