Thread: 96 C280 - Cant pass emissions, Catalyst stuck as NOT READY...

96 C280 - Cant pass emissions, Catalyst stuck as NOT READY...

Hey Guys,
    I'm new to the forum but I couldn't find this exact issue... Hoping someone here can help. So here is the background on the car. 96 C280 with 127K w/ I6 and sports package. It was my fathers car but he passed away last June. I've had it in my garage up until recently and I honesty want to keep it knowing how much he fiddled with it. Now the problem... I know he always had some issues with random emissions issues thru the years, usually related to broken vacuum hoses, a questionable aux air pump and old wires. I know he swapped out the front and back O2 sensors in April. I know he was prepping to get the car to pass emissions but he kept throwing codes. So now its my turn... I hooked up my scanner and got a P0400, and with some googling I tested the egr valve (worked perfectly) but found the common clogged egr tube... I cleaned it with a speedo cable from amazon followed by a steel 3/16 wire rope run backwards on a drill. I then reset the codes with my scanner, followed up with getting some temp tags for the car. No more codes thrown but not finished yet... So far I have been driving it around for 2 weeks and 200+ miles and have gotten all the sensors to go READY with the exception of the catalytic converter. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next? Illinois will NOT pass you unless all are ready. Do I need to reset it again and drive some more? Is there a known good driving cycle to get everything tested? Ive seen one that is just silly, speed up to 25 for 30 sec and then stop then to 26 for 30 sec and stop, etc... It's just not do-able in any consistent form in the city... You'd get pulled over and searched for odd behavior. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated... I would hate to sell or give it away.
    Thanks in advance!
    RomanST
    Last edited by RomanST; 01-31-2015 at 06:09 AM.

im sorry for your loss...

did it ever throw any other codes after you drive it around?

Thank you. It did throw a p0306 once, the very first day I started driving it around after about 2 miles on its first trip out, but I reset it immediate after that... I blamed that on 6 month old gas and inactivity. I did inspect the cables (clean and new-ish looking) and pushed everything in around there, no spark or anything. The plug also did not look fouled or anything. I since then filled it up with 93 oct gas and some fuel-dry, I think he used 87 oct for most of its life (he got the car around 40-50K). My scanner shows no pending or normal faults.... just that one stubborn not ready.
    Last edited by RomanST; 01-31-2015 at 10:11 AM.

I will look up the criteria needed to run that monitor but typically that one runs after a good drive up the freeway 30-40 miles. It's the Evap monitor that is a complete bear.

Took my C43 340 miles to clear the code after I replaced my EGR and reset the ECU.

Good luck.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

My 96 C280 has never been ready on the catalytic for emissions. CA allows for 1 not ready monitor at least on an OBDII car. I'm surprised that it's not the same in IL.