Thread: windshield wiper replacement

windshield wiper replacement

Not a real glamorous post (lol), but helpful nevertheless. I stopped in walmart tonight to grab a cheap battery for a racecar ive been building and took a peek at what wiper blades, if any, they had for the w202. Turns out they stock quite an assortment of direct fit wipers. I bought the most high end one they had (BOSCH Icon 24A). Imust say it is functional as well as has an extremely clean and modern housing compared to the OEM blade i replaced. cost with tax was about $19.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	2491
    Last edited by Vetruck; 03-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.

best ones are german SWF

Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    best ones are german SWF
    You realize Bosch is German also?

I did a little search right now on SWF and I am seeing standard looking OEM replacement. SWF however does have a higher division wiper names Valeo- BUT when you do a search on line comparing the two types the Bosch ICONS are by far the favorite on all the online boards I just read. I think you may need to take a look before you post a bold statement like that. The Bosch ICONS have a very nice look compared to the SWF wipers with the typical OEM look.

In Charge
    Been using Bosch wipers for a few years now. Works great for me.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Perfect for California. Rains 3 times, then dry rots on your windshield all year.

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    Perfect for California. Rains 3 times, then dry rots on your windshield all year.
    Lol. That is exactly why I stated the function is so.ewhat standard but more focused on the nice year round appearance of the Icon blade arm.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150302_142932.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	2493
    Last edited by Vetruck; 03-02-2015 at 01:31 PM.

I had the Bosch icon years back. All the new MB use something that looks the same. But much cleaner then some metal blade

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    You realize Bosch is German also?

I did a little search right now on SWF and I am seeing standard looking OEM replacement. SWF however does have a higher division wiper names Valeo- BUT when you do a search on line comparing the two types the Bosch ICONS are by far the favorite on all the online boards I just read. I think you may need to take a look before you post a bold statement like that. The Bosch ICONS have a very nice look compared to the SWF wipers with the typical OEM look.

SWF was standard as OEM for MB w202 cars.
    I only use aftermarket SWF or MB genuine nothing else.
    Valeo bought SWF some years ago

I tried Bosch wipers a few years ago and they were not good, i didn't like them.
    They were screeching on my window when i used them, not very smooth, maybe they have better blades today?

Bosch is german, this company doesn't always do great parts, they had some dips on component quality a few years ago, don't know if they still have issues?

Bosch may be a German company, but they have parts being made worldwide. I remember sitting in a Bosch class, another tech was questioning the quality of Bosch o2 sensors from autozone vs the same brand o2 sensor you would get in a dealer packaged box. Bosch claimed it was the same, several techs wanted to argue that. Was a bit comical to see the instructors get all pissed.

I'm sure the Bosch icon wiper is made in china, and that's fine, as long as they make the important parts in the correct parts of the world I'm not complaining.

if bosch have random component quality from around the world, i would only buy german made parts for my car
    maf, o2 sensors, cps sensor etc. etc.
    Made in Deutschland über alles!!

It's the case with all the known 'quality' suppliers. Everyone is outsourcing to china,

Contitech belts are almost all coming from Romania as well as factory out of the box brake pads on a lot of euro cars. Who would think a small country like that supplies large amounts. Quality seems to be ok. I'm sure even Chinese parts will soon get better as they figure it out.

i had a contitech belt made in Rumunija fit on my car, it started to shread within 15000km's
    maybe these had a factory issue as i saw nylon threads peeling from the belt edges.

too bad brands in origin country goes to developing countries for manufacturing parts just to save a few bucks