Thread: Possible trans upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They are fairly abundant and different nm choices based on what the gearbox went into from the factory- my car does not and never will see massive power- just a good street runner. Rumor has it the gear throw is a tad sloppy but I can live with that over a mush 4-tronic. ps- I finally got it up off all 4 earlier today-going back out there for a few hours to mess with another vehicle of mine that needs attention. Might get some time today still to tear into it I hope. Just in the house for a lunch break.

What is harder to source is the dual mass flywheel, and the shifter linkage, brace, etc parts. They can be costly if bought separate or if you try to acquire new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160828_113054.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	3116
    Last edited by Vetruck; 08-28-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    They are fairly abundant and different nm choices based on what the gearbox went into from the factory- my car does not and never will see massive power- just a good street runner. Rumor has it the gear throw is a tad sloppy but I can live with that over a mush 4-tronic. ps- I finally got it up off all 4 earlier today-going back out there for a few hours to mess with another vehicle of mine that needs attention. Might get some time today still to tear into it I hope. Just in the house for a lunch break.

What is harder to source is the dual mass flywheel, and the shifter linkage, brace, etc parts. They can be costly if bought separate or if you try to acquire new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160828_113054.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	3116

Hi Vetruck, I am from Europe, Romania, and i have the same issue as you, I want to upgrade my car's automatic gearbox(722.4->722.6). Did you manged to make the swap and adapt the computer to the new gearbox?
    In Europe I can find this kind of gearbox without problems, but i am interested on how the things worked with your car.

Thanks and best regards,
    Gogu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogu48 View Post
    Hi Vetruck, I am from Europe, Romania, and i have the same issue as you, I want to upgrade my car's automatic gearbox(722.4->722.6). Did you manged to make the swap and adapt the computer to the new gearbox?
    In Europe I can find this kind of gearbox without problems, but i am interested on how the things worked with your car.

Thanks and best regards,
    Gogu.
    Ive actually pulled the entire drivetrain and the car is pretty much been in storage for the last year and a half. I have another project I finished 3 months ago and am working on another vehicle right now which may take another few months at most- then I am getting back to the Mercedes project. The Mercedes is just a 4th vehicle and 100% play car so this is why it is sitting in wait. I will not have computer issues with mine since it is a 1994. I have a vacuum controlled automatic trans I took out of it so I do not have computer control issues like the later models. I researched this extensively and this is why I am modifying this car since the 1994 is the only w202 year without this problem.