Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Possible trans upgrade

Doing more research today, Apparently I think I can confirm the same 722.4 mercedes bolt pattern as the Jeep Wrangler NSG370 manual 6 speed trans. These are even less expensive. Does not look like the G56 (Getrag 238) will bolt to the W202 without an adapter plate. A direct fit of course would be much easier with over the counter componants

https://highgeartransmission.wordpre...sion-for-sale/

Great gear ratios that work very well with my current 3.07 rearend.

Current trans (722.4 auto 4sp):
    4.25/2.40/1.48/1

NSG370 manual 6sp trans:
    4.46/2.61/1.72/1.25/1/0.84

Fcuking hell Vetruck, reading the last few posts you'd never think you were a moderator! You'd want to put your ego back in the box.

It's alright informing and assisting people on here of what you know but really that seems to be just spin off of you trying to impress everybody that you are the guru of all car related mechanical aspects.

Seriously, its getting boring and not for the first time. And sadly on that note I have to be candid and say it doesn't encourage me (anyway) to really pay too much attention to your posts or log on to the site more often for that matter.
    JJJ.

Thats fine. Dont like that i research and spend my money wisely so be it. My experience is what lead to knowing this guy does not have this down yet or ever will.

He wants to prove different then post up a video of in car footage of one of his instalks where he drives the car around upshift i ng abmnd downshifting in normal traffic as well as a bit more spirited drinig. All in one 5 min video- not going to hapoen because what ive researched so far is no one can get the 722.6 to shift correctly in a retrofit app.

JJJ, I come into here a few hours later to see if there is any response and in the process I re-read what I wrote as well as others here-

In your blind bias against me, what part of this did you fucking fail to read? Repairing and modifying vehicles is ALL about experience. Yes I have that, why does this offend you. And why are you blind to see when I talk about what I do NOT know?You might pull your own head out of your ass partner.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones Jr. View Post
    Fcuking hell Vetruck, .... you trying to impress everybody that you are the guru of all car related mechanical aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    ... I am not keen on doing at all if this requires any kind of intermediate experience with tuning- not my forte' (40 years hot rodding cars tells me if I have not learned it yet I will most likely never)...

...I am not an expert in this field...

...I did state I am a rookie when it comes to computer program controls on a car...
    Ever stop to think if I was such an expert on "everything" why i would come into a car forum and talk about possible upgrades and ask questions? You're not very bright are you? Afterall, this is exactly what car forums are about. Discussing things about repairs and modifications in order to better make decisions. I'm making the correct one not using this guy or a 722.6 after my research which started here in this forum.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 05-30-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Im having a hard time getting info on these transmissions as for bellhousing pattern and dimensions. Here is a few things Ive dug up so far in searches.

It appears there are in fact a few different bellhousings for the NSG370, Scrolling down this page you can see two of them in a picture where the left appears to have the W202 MB blot pattern. Question is the overall length and where the shifter will come up through at. I "think " so far this is the NSG370 case for the 2.4L Jeep Wrangler/Liberty motor.
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge.../manual/nsg370

A very short video showing a Mercedes 6sp manual trans- the bellhousing looks the same as our W202:
    https://youtu.be/PFlTYK_dLj0

Just some more pics and info- this shows a remote shifter which could be modifies if looks easily enough for placement in the W202 console:
    http://www.rodionenkin.de/de/pages/m...sche-daten.php

This is the 716.6 series transmissions in Mercedes-Benz cars and SUV's. There is a version of it that has an "Automatic slave cylinder" that is a clutchless assembly on the SLK. I need to keep researching the existence of slave cylinders for a clutch pedal assembly- not looking for clutchless in a manual trans- I'm sure this requires computer controls.

I have in fact 100% guarantee confirmed through multiple sources that these 716.6X manual transmissions will in fact fit the M111 engine.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-6...wAAOSwjMJXCrg6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	3033

Vetruck there's no need for three posts to reply to my criticism of you name calling people (Russel) and your general small dick mentality and to compound matters you massage your ego into the bargain. Moderator my ass. One post with substance to reply to my post would have done and there's no need either to quote me and edit my quote, how fcuking childish could you get. But hey, am I surprised in your general carry on and your retorts to me, absolutely not.

Do everybody a favor, grow up and behave in civil manner.
    JJJ.

So you have a more clear answer-

First response was to you - which you bring absolutely zero tech to this post - I think this is referred to as trolling

Second response was to all else reading this in regards to Russell and the operation of 722.6 with his tuning.

both one and two were on my cell phone with limited access.

3rd post was when I was finally on my PC and could sort back through what was said. Your attack and bias against me was proven wrong via quotes. So who's acting childish and not bringing tech to this post? JJJ
    As for being a moderator, I am simply a regular person in this forum and asking questions and sorting through research. I moderate the suspension forum.
    Don't like asinine response posts then contribute to tech.

To sum you up Vetruck, you are just arrogant and ego driven person which makes a lot of you posts unsavory to read. And that's a pity because on the tech aspect there's no doubt your knowledge could assist members here just like myself but as I stated earlier you use this forum to beat your own chest and a by product of that is you passing on tech info, that is not a proper way to behave and it's not nice either.

There's a clear history here as this is not the first thread/post where you are in confrontation with someone. Also, I'm in no doubt what so ever you acted similar or worse on other forums too.

I'm out now, the floor is all yours and good luck.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 06-09-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    JJJ.

^^^Like I give a shit what you think.

Fucking idiot can't post to the topic.

A-n-y-w-a-y-s.....to the topic-
    I have been research all kinds of variations to transmission swaps. I have found numerous adapter plate applications for jeeps to chevy trans, V8 MB adapters to bmw trans,, OM60X series diesels to ford trans,,etc,,,etc. Even taking bellhousing swaps to other retrofits. Problems arise with clutch assemblies, shifter linkages, clocking of the trans positions, etc...all the typical stuff you see with any frankenstien type modifications.

So after all this, as well as hunting for the elusive 717.404 C36 5 speed all through European EBAY etc to no avail (this I will keep trying until I am seriously ready to have to commit and bit the bullet) it looks like right now my decision is to find a clutch pedal/reservoir assembly first and drop my motor and put it on an engine stand for a rebuild top freshen up gaskets, the head, etc. No luck on aftermarket cams from Catcams. They are no longer doing the M111 cams after numerous emails with the secretary trying to gather info.

My outlook is to try and convert a BMW E46 M3 5sp manual trans into this car. I have some messages to a few companies getting more intell on specs and priciung for componants. Shifter looks like I can fabricate something fairly easy to work. I am looking into an adapter option wioth a company, but if that does not pan out (which I do not expect it to) then I will resort to purchasing a BMW box and do some experimental (sacrificial) work to if cutting and welding the current auto box flange I have to the BMW box. This will take several cuts and tack welds in short increments to fit the end play and get the alignment correct, but I think this will be a very fun project since I am a very proficient fabricator/welder. What I can;t do I have a professional welder buddy that can with a 3 phase liquid cooled TIG that can.

BMW boxes like I listed are a dime a dozen at around $500 on ebay. A very cheap price for trying such an experiment to see if I can get one to fit.

Dean

Would like to hear from anyone that has heard or seen a BMW box used in a W202?

Ive come across a dogleg 5 speed direct fit. Problem I have is its a 1:1 4th, not 5th. Which means I need to go up in the rearend ratio. Currently have 3.07's and would need at least 3.46's. Starting to think doing a BMW 3.91 diff with LSD would be more of a fun project- however- I need to pick up the VSS signal that currently comes from my current 1994 diff. I need to look into VSS signal sensors- possibly one on the driveshaft near the trans output yoke.

this venture would mean adapters for the drive plates/ halfshafts, and still probably with anything I do a custom driveshaft. Can't believe how limited factory parts these cars lack- Ive been research possibilities for days now on end. This option would give me the elusive LSD rearend which is a big void with MB cars. here is the ratio comparisons to my current and what it would yield finished.

Name:	mb1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	3036

Name:	mb2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3037

I came across all the parts I need for a 6 speed swap from a W203 6 sp car in europe. Having everything shipped to me for under $1650 including pedals. Car had 78K on it. I will have a few fitment issues I am expecting, but will work it out and see it I can get the notorious long throw shifting to a little better feel. Cheap enough to experiment with and will certainly be much more fun regardless then what the 4-tronic is.

Gear ratio is 1) 4.46 2)2.61 3)1.72 4)1.25 5)1.00 6).84
    4tronic ratio is 1) 4.25 2)2.40 3)1.48 4)1

Also plan to try and use a 3.27 diff in place of my current 3.07

Here are the comparison in shift rpms and gear top speed for current and then 6sp swap with 3.27's

Name:	mb1a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	3038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb3a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3039
    Last edited by Vetruck; 06-18-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Here is this gear ratio calculator tool for anyone interested.

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-...l_ratio_teeths

Here the parts I have to work with. Should be here in a few days. Coming from Denmark to USA Calif. It is very hard to source any swap parts here in the US unless you completely piece everything together. These fortunately like stated are off a crashed W203 with only 78K. It is a 716.633 trans/ shifter/ flywheel/clutch/slave/ throwout bearing/crossmember

Name:	L360573A.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	3080

Pedal assembly is out of a Crossfire from here in the states. Already has aluminum pedals that somewhat match my current auto pedal set.These pedal assemblies retrofit into several cars W202, W208, W210, W211, S202, and of course the mentioned the Chrysler crossfire. Comes with master cylinder

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	3081

my current pedal assembly:

Name:	SAM_1134.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	3082

I will also note that luck was on my side. They shipped the parts to me without any extra shipping cost (saved me 200 GBP- the shipping was included to the European Union countries but they sent it to me tin the US without any extra charge. Plus, that next morning was the pullout of GB from the EU and the GBP to USD dropped from 1:48:1 to 1.32:1. Getting everything to my doorstep including the pedals from Florida USA for under $1300. Just a replacement rebuilt 722.4 would cost me $2000. I still have $700(apples to apples) to work with- need to get a clutch reservoir, and have TMR make me a braided line from slave to MC+ fittings- and quite possibly a new clutch based on how this one looks when I get it. Driveshaft fitment will have to wait and see, but probably at most $100-150 for some alterations to my current unit.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 06-27-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Update: I'm on a holding pattern. It appears there was loss/damage to my shipment coming from overseas. Looks like I may just be getting a refund and starting over. Time will tell. The foot pedals arrived from a different source though- they are in very nice condition. Just glad this car has been delegated to a spare vehicle/project car- It can sit for months if needed. I am waiting for a final response from the company I bought the parts from to see if they can get an acceptable replacement.

Name:	20160706_172950_resized (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	3096

Got lucky today and found a rare US spec C-class W203 with a 6sp manual. Car was wrecked with 112K on the clock. Picked up this trans, the dual mass flywheel, shifter, linkage, and mount for $1000 locally. $300 less then the problem purchase I previous had. The clutch and pressure plate seen better days so I will just buy new ones. Project is back on track.

Name:	20160718_183916_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	3099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160718_184034_resized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	3100

nice work,

I haven't read through the whole thread in a while, but did you consider a 5 speed from a 190e 16v?

Way too had to find. yes I was looking for a 1:1 5th gear. This trans will work great. I have been so busy with the race team lately I have not had any time for my own life or cars. I have almost all the parts I need to get this started. just need to get a new clutch/pressure plate and a few little goodies. This will be a slow project but will definitely be finished by the end of this year.Kind of also waiting for some cooler months to get started so I do not sweat to death in the garage.

THis has the 1:1 5th also with the added OD 6th which will make for a nice Vegas run car from so Calif. (4 hour drive)
    Last edited by Vetruck; 08-17-2016 at 08:07 AM.

prob going to put one of these in my c36, see if they hold up against the torque

They are fairly abundant and different nm choices based on what the gearbox went into from the factory- my car does not and never will see massive power- just a good street runner. Rumor has it the gear throw is a tad sloppy but I can live with that over a mush 4-tronic. ps- I finally got it up off all 4 earlier today-going back out there for a few hours to mess with another vehicle of mine that needs attention. Might get some time today still to tear into it I hope. Just in the house for a lunch break.

What is harder to source is the dual mass flywheel, and the shifter linkage, brace, etc parts. They can be costly if bought separate or if you try to acquire new.

Name:	20160828_113054.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	3116
    Last edited by Vetruck; 08-28-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    They are fairly abundant and different nm choices based on what the gearbox went into from the factory- my car does not and never will see massive power- just a good street runner. Rumor has it the gear throw is a tad sloppy but I can live with that over a mush 4-tronic. ps- I finally got it up off all 4 earlier today-going back out there for a few hours to mess with another vehicle of mine that needs attention. Might get some time today still to tear into it I hope. Just in the house for a lunch break.

What is harder to source is the dual mass flywheel, and the shifter linkage, brace, etc parts. They can be costly if bought separate or if you try to acquire new.

Name:	20160828_113054.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	3116

Hi Vetruck, I am from Europe, Romania, and i have the same issue as you, I want to upgrade my car's automatic gearbox(722.4->722.6). Did you manged to make the swap and adapt the computer to the new gearbox?
    In Europe I can find this kind of gearbox without problems, but i am interested on how the things worked with your car.

Thanks and best regards,
    Gogu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogu48 View Post
    Hi Vetruck, I am from Europe, Romania, and i have the same issue as you, I want to upgrade my car's automatic gearbox(722.4->722.6). Did you manged to make the swap and adapt the computer to the new gearbox?
    In Europe I can find this kind of gearbox without problems, but i am interested on how the things worked with your car.

Thanks and best regards,
    Gogu.
    Ive actually pulled the entire drivetrain and the car is pretty much been in storage for the last year and a half. I have another project I finished 3 months ago and am working on another vehicle right now which may take another few months at most- then I am getting back to the Mercedes project. The Mercedes is just a 4th vehicle and 100% play car so this is why it is sitting in wait. I will not have computer issues with mine since it is a 1994. I have a vacuum controlled automatic trans I took out of it so I do not have computer control issues like the later models. I researched this extensively and this is why I am modifying this car since the 1994 is the only w202 year without this problem.