Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 C280 on 18inch Monoblocks (18x8 and 18x9). Need suspension suggestions

...and my car is still too soft for my liking, but I built it for my woman to daily drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    those Bilstein turning are nothing more than OEM replacement. You might as well just keep your current shocks. you're not going to be happy with the results when you lower a car that low. when you lower a car you need to limit the suspension travel with a little stiffer suspension in order not to have it rub and try to limit increasing suspension geometry that will cause havoc on your alignment.
    Gotcha.

Don't get me wrong--I just want a shock that I can replace with over stock that is meant for more lowered cars. I am not looking to auto-x this nor am I looking for a stiffer shock to help me on hard braking or taking turns. I would keep the stock shocks but I am afraid they will just end up leaking and bust because they weren't meant to be used with lowering springs.

I've had some serious suspensions on past cars. Koni is a quality maker (when mated with Ground Control/Eibach coilovers/custom springs and custom top hats top many 1000s of dollar setups) and the yellows in past cars have always been a great bang for the buck. I am just looking for a shock to handle some typical soft weight lowering springs. Koni's for the price aren't worth it for me. If these Bilsteins can hold up and not bust/leak after a couple of months, that's more than worth it for me.

But again--I do appreciate your feedback. FYI i've had VERY stiff springs on my old cars which were perfect for what I had at the time. This car though, is different and will not be used the same way as those.

So how do you expect to slow the suspension travel when a wheel hits a pothole or such with the car that low and a weak shock valving? Fine to have soft springs, but better limit compression speed with a good damper. At very least you'll be sorry unless going with the firmer bilstein sport. You said to me 3 times now what ride quality you want, I get that, but you can not have your cake and eat it too. Lower car needs firmer more limited travel...period. Or you are going to ground out on bumpstops and rub tires on fenders. You can't go low and soft.

That's the risk I am willing to take. at 71x4 compared to the Koni's at being almost double the price, the itch isn't worth the scratch for me.

Roads here in VA aren't bad though. I've gotten used to swerving for potholes over the years too with pat cars and expensive forged wheels.

Trying to save loot though with my C280 aka my daily.

I was sold on getting the H&R springs....but after doing some searching...I am unsure which ones to go with.

I want the lowest drop, but don't know which one works best to get the job done. It's between H&Rs, Eibachs and Vogtlands.

From the numbers on paper, the Vogtlands are the lowest at 40mm all around aka 1.5x drop. H&R at 1.4 and Eibachs at 1.2.

I've read though, this doesn't matter and the Eibachs are probably the lowest? Is this true?? I haven't found much info on the Vogtlands though..... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    Auxiive, can you honestly say your steering controls are OK with over -2.0 degrees camber? My car was a handful and quite darty/scary at time for the Mrs. I had to quickly invest in the kit to correct that. I do not see others cars being different in specs then my cars OEM adjustment range.

Also guys, we have shocks, not struts.
    Of course there's a noticeable difference, but I've become used to it. Before buying my first c280, I had a ls400 that was on bags and had -6.0 of camber. It's definitely not the best idea to have that much camber, but I was just saying that if I were in his position, I would invest in better shocks before buying a camber adjustment kit because he can live with it for a couple weeks until he gets more money for the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BolivianFuego View Post
    I was sold on getting the H&R springs....but after doing some searching...I am unsure which ones to go with.

I want the lowest drop, but don't know which one works best to get the job done. It's between H&Rs, Eibachs and Vogtlands.

From the numbers on paper, the Vogtlands are the lowest at 40mm all around aka 1.5x drop. H&R at 1.4 and Eibachs at 1.2.

I've read though, this doesn't matter and the Eibachs are probably the lowest? Is this true?? I haven't found much info on the Vogtlands though..... thoughts?
    From my knowledge, the lowest you can go is a 2.0" front, 1.9" rear with H&R super sport springs.

Also, here's a DIY for rear camber arms. This saves you a lot of money and it's relatively easy to put together.
    http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ar-camber-arms

Thanks man! Where can I get a front one too?

Edit: I found the super sport springs. Thanks! Will probably mate those with the camber kit.

I don't believe there's a DIY way of adjusting front camber/toe properly, so you'd have to buy the kmac kit off of their site.
    http://www.k-mac.com.au/pages/newpro...ercedes_05.htm

It's costly, but definitely worth it. Look around, maybe there are members looking to sell their front camber kit for cheaper.

WOW!!! That's crazy expensive! That alone is about what I am spending on shocks and springs! Is there no other options besides Kmac?

I know it's expensive, but it's worth it from what I've heard.
    And from my knowledge, Kmacs are the only option for the front. I'm 99% sure, but I could be wrong since I just bought my first w202 3 weeks ago and don't know everything about 'em.

Thanks man! Looking in to it now.

Kmac Bushings installed. They offset the front A-arms inward to bring the bottom edge of the tire in towards the centerline of the car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1902731_10201947625760700_1042367174_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	2534

Name:	1932450_10201947625560695_1328037943_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	2535

Name:	1888676_10201947623520644_64292540_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	2536

Nice! I tried to contact the rep on MBworld I think? Haven't heard back yet though.

Do the A-arms need to be taken off the car to install?

Edit: I found the H&R Super Street springs but everywhere I find it it says it only fits C43s. Do they not fit my C280?
    Last edited by BolivianFuego; 04-02-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Yes, the spring will fit your c280

Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't a dumb question. Will order them and mate to bilstein sport shocks.

Still undecided on whether I should get the camber kit or not. Just took a hit to the pocket with a fender bender I got into with my other car.

Some eye candy. Got my wheels back today from the shop. Got i refinished. Looks fresh and brand new!

Front:

Back:

looking good!

Thanks man!

Any word on that momo hub?

i just lowered my 99 c280 about 3 weeks ago with the same intentions as you. i used eibach springs and bilstein sport shocks. i got a real good deal on them used off craigslist ($250 for everything) which is really the only reason why i went with eibach. but i must say the ride is as comfy as before. it doesn't really feel much stiffer over bumps. took me a crazy back breaking 12 hours to do the fronts and only 4 for the rear. this was my first time working on suspension and i did all by myself. if i had a helpful hand i can imagine it would have been done in about half the time. and i also used regular spring compressors not the Mercedes. yes i know they say its dangerous but i got the job done

Before

Name:	20150311_111111 (1).jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	2574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150311_111101 (1).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	2575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150311_111055 (1).jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	2576

AFTER. BTW i went with #3 pads all around. i think i should have done #2 in front and #3 in rear. but it is how it is for now

Name:	20150326_114914.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	2577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150326_114920.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	2578Attachment 2583
    Last edited by adge_dre; 04-08-2015 at 06:57 AM.

and my monos that refinished in my garage. 17s for the front and 18 for the rear. only because once again, i found for really cheap on craigslist ($200 for all 4) and yes they are oem. so thats what ill being running for now in the meantime while i look for a pair of 18s to go in the front. one of the rims has a scratch on the face which i havnt decided if i will get it repaired yet or not. but yeah just thought i would share

Name:	20150209_162821.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	2579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150131_223933.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	2580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150129_183746.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	2581

THe thinner OEM wheels and tires do not show near as bad alignment problems as you will have when you bolt on the Monoblocks and fatter low profile tires. Just be aware of the difference once you do put them on. The car will suddenly become darty.