Thread: elusive noise on startup in gear

elusive noise on startup in gear

when I start the car cold or warm and put it into a gear (only in gear) it makes a takakakakakakakakaka noise only at idle this has eluded me sense ive had the car
    mechanically sound, runs like a champ no idea as to what it is ...

Ive got the exact same thing with my 98 c230! I plan on checking into this weekend. I'll let you know if I find anything. Anybody else know anything?

You guys really feel lucky eh?

... Because you will need lots of luck guessing correctly on posts regarding clunks and thuds and kakakaka

Ill take a shot at this. I think I know what the problem is.

I have a feeling these car suffer from stuck lifters with high mileage/ possible sludge buildup. Reason I say that is I recall when I was first checking out my car to buy a few years ago. The car had 164,000 on the clock and the person I borrowed it from could not get it smogged (Bad cats). When I borrowed the car for a few days to weld a new cat in it and see if I could get it to pass before I bought the car, I remember it getting an intermittent ticking of the valve train that would sometimes come and go. Onbe time it got quite loud after the car was about warmed to operating temps. I walked over and grabbed my handy old school "Marvel Mystery Oil" and overfilled the already full oil dipstick by another 1/4qt with MMM. The noise was gone in about 2 minutes and has never returned 25-30k later.

I've had the lifter noise as well before, come and go especially at the track.

What Vaspen is describing is like collapsed engine mounts / trans mount causing an exhuast heat shield somewhere to clap on cold start which is elevated idle speed

Mine turned out to be the belt tensioner shock absorber. Easy and cheap fix...

I'm 90% positive it's the supercharger clutch going bad reading a few articles on mercedes Benz.org I'm selling the car hopefully in the next 2 weeks just need a 4 door awd Subaru sti lol

once the supercharger gets warm the noise goes away leading me to believe the clutch and bearings need replacement within the next20-25k