Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dreaded head liner sag

Right on, your Headliner looks great with that Denim color. Ill have to redo mine real soon.

Some pics of mine

This is my work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	2652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	2654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	2655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2656  

Quote Originally Posted by chorixo80 View Post
    This is my work
    That looks great. What material did you use?
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

Nice headliner guys. I'm also into doing mine as well. It's starting to sag. That black denim marerial looks great. Something I would choose to keep it simple and not going too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbsickness View Post
    That looks great. What material did you use?
    leather imitation

I have not done mine yet because I still am not completely sold on what I bought. It will look fine, but I guess I am waiting see some fabric something to just scream "use me"

Finally got time to work on this today. What a pain in the ass. There was orange sticky crumbs smeared everywhere by the time I finished getting everything apart. Glad that is over. It will be a piece of cake putting it back together though. I should have all the parts refinished within two weeks. Still debating on the fabric I bought. Ill try piece on the a-pillar plastic and see how it looks in the car prior to doing the headliner.

The Orange sticky crumbs was the worst.. My sunroof shade had completely came apart and all that orange stuff got on the metal beams. Cleaning that stuff out was a PITA.

99' C230 Kompressor - 97k Miles

So far so good. I need to do the pilars next. She wanted that posh look. Kind of like her Gucci bags I guess. It actually looks really good next to the other interior colors. Gives it a little Rodeo Dr.(Beverly Hills) feel...lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0245.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	2687

EDIT TO ADD INFO: This is Burlap from JoAnn's Fabrics (Thank you again Den for the discount coupon). The burlap does not stretch hardly at all so it is real tough in the sunvisor countour areas, but with a little finesse it managed to lay down well/ The glue I used is the 3M Super Trim Adhesive Yellow (Automotive). It was very nice stuff to work with. I sprayed two coats on both sides as per directions. 3m also has a "headliner and trim adhesive- ( also automotive) but is not as heavy duty nor as heat resistant but it allows more working time. This Super Yellow stuff you have to work quickly and with a buddy system- do not try it yourself- too hard to handle for one person. The headliner adhesive gives 60mins working time, this heavy duty stuff sticks on contact and only allows for about 20 mins tops even thought the can says 4 tact, 30 mins working time.

I started by laying the material flat upside down, spaying it completely once, then the headliner backer board- that used almost one full can- then immediately went for the second coat right away. Gave it about 2 minutes after that and started to assemble the rear center first(Since I finished the second coat there about 5-6 mins earlier and was already tacking), working towards the sunroof opening with both sides folded towards the center line still. I then went right and left off that while my buddy held the fabric up in front of the sunroof. Once that was tacked enough and rubbed in for about 5 mins, he grabbed one side up front and I grabbed the other corner as we each pulled and pressed around the sunroof opening to meet in the front center. LF and RF tabs of the fabric lay over in triangle form at this point I started working the dome lamp and visor pockets until the entire fabric lay in place.

The beauty of this yellow spray is that the burlap is somewhat see through with mesh type square openings. The glue is pretty much the same color as the fabric so any bleed through was not an issue- nor was too much build up of adhesive. It really bits in place after about 10 mins tact time and is stuck dry in 20 mins. The can says 48 hrs "cure" time so I will keep it in the cool garage out of sunlight for another week, then I will install it.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 07-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by chorixo80 View Post
    This is my work
    Looks great!
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

In Charge
    Vetruck- I like it. It is different and compliments your stock interior well. Good stuff you got going on, wish I was closer need mine redone.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

My camera is terrible. The color looks like crap in the pictures. I posted it on my fb page and so far there has been 3 friends that have now seen it in person. All 3 said the pictures do not do it justice. Here is also a pic I took last night of my interior with my crappy cell phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0247.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	2691

I have to be honest and say I wasn;t real sold on this fabric from the start. The wifey kindof help me pick it out and she likes it. Once I did it I thought it looked better, however, once installed I do not like the texture of th eburlap. Seems kind of cheap to me- however she seems to love it so it is all that is important. Her car.

Headliner looks good makes me wish I'd done something like that when I had mine redone. Guy even messed it up somehow cos if I tap the headliner I get a rattle. Any suggestions what it could be Vetruck its got sunroof aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbaso View Post
    Headliner looks good makes me wish I'd done something like that when I had mine redone. Guy even messed it up somehow cos if I tap the headliner I get a rattle. Any suggestions what it could be Vetruck its got sunroof aswell.
    Two push tabs in the rear near the rear glass, one metal clip the pushes back inside the rear dome light. Two "slip clips" that connect when the headliner foam is pressed towards the rear glass on install, the metal trim molding that u-channel inserts over the front lip of the sunroof opening, the front dome light area is held by a 3 screw bracket under the rear view mirror, sunvisor screws, and finally the side hand rail screws. That is all the possibilities of a rattle.

Some really great looking headliners here.I wasn't even thinking of changing mine but now I'm considering it, although I'd better sort the rust on the outside first!

I never posted any finished shots of the headliner. Mainly because my camera sucks. Here are two I shot of the rear area. I opted NOT to cover the B-pilars in this material because it does not stretch. I just sanded and painted 5 coats of paint onto them.

Name:	KIMG0322.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	2739

Name:	KIMG0323.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	2740

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    Dean, I just got a coupon for Joann's: 50% off one item including fabric. I got it from Safeway grocery store. I'd give it to you buy my family will probably use it.
    If you get the JoAnn app you get the coupons right on your phone!
    *auto upholstery shop owner*

is there a DIY write up on the removal of the headliner?

I'm ready for the fabric, but I'm not 100% sure what type to apply. I have so many ??????????????????????????????????

The fabric has me worried it'll stretch with moisture and time, so I thought of imitation leather, but then there's heat. I live in SoCal. I don't want to do all this work and end up with a big failure.
    Also, what size foam did you use?

I did not use any foam. I just rubber all of the old glue off the headliner backing-it is a crumbly mess but basically will just rub off with a dry rag. I remember looking up and finding a video on youtube for removal of the headliner. I was able to lower and fully recline my passenger seat and slightly bend the headliner foam to get it out the right front door. I am also in So Cal and this burlap is so incredibly durable I do not think I will ever have a problem with it ever again in the car's lifetime.

A tip: There were two rear clips that are hidden holding the backing to the roof. Once you remove the rear dome light the rear is released by moving the entire backing panel towwards the rear of the car about 1 1/2"/ Do not try to pull down on the rear until you slide it backwards in direction.

Black leather you must!