Thread: Pressure Gauge

Pressure Gauge

Hi,

I would like to fit an oil pressure gauge to my c230k engine, now I think the best way to do this is to put a tee piece where the low oil sensor is on the sump and fit the sendor there (correct me if i'm wrong). Now my question is does anyone know what size the thread is for the low oil sensor?

I'm based in the uk so any links to a UK source that sells them would be even better.

Thanks.

this is what my mechanic did on my car
    it looks very nice.

he replaced the oil pan plug with an oil sender sensor and ran a cable through the firewall to the gauge,
    this job with cables was very time consuming
    Last edited by kowalski; 05-07-2015 at 10:41 PM.

By Oil pan plug do you mean the one for draining the oil out or the low oil light sensor? Yours looks good btw. This engine is actually in a Mercedes 190e so i'm wiring it up to my original oil pressure gauge as I don't want any dead gauges on my dash. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.

You guys realize there is no oil pressure in your oil pans . It's just a place where your oil runs down into and sits until the pump picks it back up.

There's always a test port near the filter housing with constant pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    You guys realize there is no oil pressure in your oil pans . It's just a place where your oil runs down into and sits until the pump picks it back up.

Thanks, this is what I was trying to find out. Do you have a picture of where the test port is? Because I was looking over it last night and I couldn't see anywhere obvious to put the pressure sender.

I don't have a picture but look at the oil filter housing, should be a 5mm Allen plug.

my oil pressure gauge/sensor is screwed into oil test port.
    the oil temp gauge/sensor is screwed into bottom oil pan replacing oil drain plug

Remo, is this the one No.29? If so do reckon that's a big enough to use for an oil cooler feed too?

http://mb.ilcats.ru/part/vin/wdb2020...oup/045/clid/1
    JJJ.

I can't seem to get that site to load the picture.

I am tearing apart a m111 head tomorrow. Ill take a pic for you guys to tap.

If anyone is interested, I have a lightly used oil pressure gauge, sensor and adaptor for a mercedes. I only used it for a handful of track days prior to removal and selling my car.

I am not certain I would use that pressure port for an external oil cooler, there may be a better spot to tap. You must also consider a spot to dump the oil back in. May I ask what the purpose of that is? (Large turbo, or track abuse?)

I can't seem to get that site to load the picture.

I am tearing apart a m111 head tomorrow. Ill take a pic for you guys to tap.

If anyone is interested, I have a lightly used oil pressure gauge, sensor and adaptor for a mercedes. I only used it for a handful of track days prior to removal and selling my car.

I am not certain I would use that pressure port for an external oil cooler, there may be a better spot to tap. You must also consider a spot to dump the oil back in. May I ask what the purpose of that is? (Large turbo, or track abuse?)
    Cheers Remo, any info gladly received. Yes, I want to fit an oil cooler (along with pressure & temperature gauges) as I might be doing some track days with the C230K. As for an oil return I was considering using the sump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M 111 Oilfilter housing.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	2637  
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 05-08-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    JJJ.

So does anyone know what thread size the oil pressure test port is? As I think the placement of it will require an L shaped adaptor, most common seems to be 1/8 NPT but there is also 1/4 npt.

I believe it's 12mm x 1.5

So you need an adaptor from 1/8 npt to 12x1.5.

Okay so on the M111, the place to tap oil pressure would be on the side of the block, below the exhuast manifold. It's been many years but I had an oil pressure gauge on my 111 powered 202 back in the day. There isn't much at the front timing cover, there is a 12mm Allen plug but not certain what its there for, not an ideal plug for tapping anything as the belt tensioner is in front of it.

The plug on the side of the block is 12x1.5 thread. Plenty of space for a pressure sensor, maybe even a Y splitter to get the temp sensor as well. I will post exact picture of that when I remove the cylinder head.

Okay so on the M111, the place to tap oil pressure would be on the side of the block, below the exhuast manifold. It's been many years but I had an oil pressure gauge on my 111 powered 202 back in the day. There isn't much at the front timing cover, there is a 12mm Allen plug but not certain what its there for, not an ideal plug for tapping anything as the belt tensioner is in front of it.

The plug on the side of the block is 12x1.5 thread. Plenty of space for a pressure sensor, maybe even a Y splitter to get the temp sensor as well. I will post exact picture of that when I remove the cylinder head.
    That's great as that is where I was originally going to take a feed from. Here's a photo of a pressure sensor retro fitted to a C200/C230K courtesy of Abbas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M111k OIL P.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	2638  
    JJJ.

Thanks guys, all your help is greatly appreciated.

I can't open attachments using the mobile version.

Just an update, I was under my car today and have found the bolt in question so thought I'd take a better picture in case anyone wants to do this mod in future. Its the grey allen key bolt in the picture.

Yup it's either a 5 or 6mm Allen. That's your oil pressure test port.

Anybody got any ideas on where to take an oil feed for an oil cooler besides using the Vito van set up? Would converting the oil filter top to accept two O/cooler hoses work?
    JJJ.