Thread: Help new guy with multiple problems on first MB - 1998 C230

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help new guy with multiple problems on first MB - 1998 C230

Just bought my first MB, it's a 1998 C230. It runs ok mechanically, but has multiple problems. None seem very serious except one, which the more I learn the harder it seems to repair. The kicker is I only paid $500 for the car, so I can put a few bucks into it and still have a good daily driver. I am not looking to make it perfect, just a very nice driver. Here's a list of what's wrong. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

1- First, the problem that has me most worried. The center vent does not blow any air. I cleaned out the whole cabin filter area and blower motor area, installed a new cabin air filter, and airflow through the side vents increased greatly. However, the center vent is still dead. I did notice that there is a pale gray plastic vacuum line that is disconnected,, the open end of it is behind the engine toward the drivers side up near that EGR valve area. The line goes up toward the passengers side near the top of the firewall and disappears into a plastic channel that holds a bunch of wires and things. It's nearly impossible for me to trace. Any ideas on this? I am hoping that perhaps finding where this connects to and connecting it would help the center vent situation. There's no way that I want to tackle the job of removing the dash.

2- Rough idle. The car runs great but it idles rough when in gear. I did find one brown vacuum line that was broken that goes to some mechanism in the front of the engine under the black plastic cover in front of the valve cover. I repaired that with a piece of rubber vacuum hose and that made a noticeable improvement. Clearly the gray vacuum line that I mentioned above connects to somewhere, and I am hoping that with some help from you guys I can figure out where. Even if that doesn't help the center vent it will help plug up yet another vacuum leak.

3- The top of the center console doesn't stay latched. Where can I get another latch mechanism? I don't know for sure but it appears that the striker for the latch that is screwed to the forward edge of the console opening may be broken. Where do I get one?

4- Windshield wiper doesn't move. I hear a groaning moan when I turn it on, so there is power to the motor, but no movement of the arm.

5- How in the world does the cup holder mount in the console? I have the inner workings but can't see how it's mounts in the opening.

6- The car rides very hard. Is that normally shocks, or is there another common problem I should look at?

7- The car has a tan interior. The shifter knob and steering wheel are both a mess. Any decent place to get refurb or replacements?

8- A/C doesn't work. The "EC" light stays lit. If it's gas, compressor, etc that's easy. Is there another typical W202 problem I should look at first? What does the "EC" light staying on typically mean?

9- The dome light comes on when I open the door, but doesn't go out on it's own. I have to manually turn it off at the light. Any ideas what that could be?

10- The rear cover (facing driver) of the center package shelf brake light is missing. Where to best get one? (tan)

11- Best place to get tan carpeted floor mats at a reasonable price?

12- Radio display blank. Won't turn on. Ideas?

13- One of the wheels is badly damaged. Best place to get a replacement cheaply?

14- Best place to get a set of four wheel centers. The ones on the car are in bad shape.

Lots of questions there. I know it's a lot but I would certainly appreciate any help. I have always liked these cars, and I would like to rescue this one. Thanks so much in advance.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug427; 05-24-2015 at 05:57 PM.