Thread: Help new guy with multiple problems on first MB - 1998 C230

Help new guy with multiple problems on first MB - 1998 C230

Just bought my first MB, it's a 1998 C230. It runs ok mechanically, but has multiple problems. None seem very serious except one, which the more I learn the harder it seems to repair. The kicker is I only paid $500 for the car, so I can put a few bucks into it and still have a good daily driver. I am not looking to make it perfect, just a very nice driver. Here's a list of what's wrong. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

1- First, the problem that has me most worried. The center vent does not blow any air. I cleaned out the whole cabin filter area and blower motor area, installed a new cabin air filter, and airflow through the side vents increased greatly. However, the center vent is still dead. I did notice that there is a pale gray plastic vacuum line that is disconnected,, the open end of it is behind the engine toward the drivers side up near that EGR valve area. The line goes up toward the passengers side near the top of the firewall and disappears into a plastic channel that holds a bunch of wires and things. It's nearly impossible for me to trace. Any ideas on this? I am hoping that perhaps finding where this connects to and connecting it would help the center vent situation. There's no way that I want to tackle the job of removing the dash.

2- Rough idle. The car runs great but it idles rough when in gear. I did find one brown vacuum line that was broken that goes to some mechanism in the front of the engine under the black plastic cover in front of the valve cover. I repaired that with a piece of rubber vacuum hose and that made a noticeable improvement. Clearly the gray vacuum line that I mentioned above connects to somewhere, and I am hoping that with some help from you guys I can figure out where. Even if that doesn't help the center vent it will help plug up yet another vacuum leak.

3- The top of the center console doesn't stay latched. Where can I get another latch mechanism? I don't know for sure but it appears that the striker for the latch that is screwed to the forward edge of the console opening may be broken. Where do I get one?

4- Windshield wiper doesn't move. I hear a groaning moan when I turn it on, so there is power to the motor, but no movement of the arm.

5- How in the world does the cup holder mount in the console? I have the inner workings but can't see how it's mounts in the opening.

6- The car rides very hard. Is that normally shocks, or is there another common problem I should look at?

7- The car has a tan interior. The shifter knob and steering wheel are both a mess. Any decent place to get refurb or replacements?

8- A/C doesn't work. The "EC" light stays lit. If it's gas, compressor, etc that's easy. Is there another typical W202 problem I should look at first? What does the "EC" light staying on typically mean?

9- The dome light comes on when I open the door, but doesn't go out on it's own. I have to manually turn it off at the light. Any ideas what that could be?

10- The rear cover (facing driver) of the center package shelf brake light is missing. Where to best get one? (tan)

11- Best place to get tan carpeted floor mats at a reasonable price?

12- Radio display blank. Won't turn on. Ideas?

13- One of the wheels is badly damaged. Best place to get a replacement cheaply?

14- Best place to get a set of four wheel centers. The ones on the car are in bad shape.

Lots of questions there. I know it's a lot but I would certainly appreciate any help. I have always liked these cars, and I would like to rescue this one. Thanks so much in advance.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug427; 05-24-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Doug go to pick n pull for your parts and what size wheels are you looking for and where are you from as I have a set of 15" rims that I want to sell

I'm in Houston. Where are you and what wheels are you selling? I have 15" now. I'll look for a pick and pull around here that has the parts.

Doug im in Washington state the wheels are stock but are panted black im asking $100 for them they have fair tires on them im not sure how much it would be to ship them I have a pic of the car with the wheels on the car look for my post my c220

Doug im in Washington state the wheels are stock but are panted black im asking $100 for them they have fair tires on them im not sure how much it would be to ship them I have a pic of the car with the wheels on the car look for my post my c220 in Members Gallery
    Last edited by 96c280man; 05-25-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks, but not really into the black, and I'm sure shipping would be prohibitive as well.

In Charge
    I may have a set of centercaps. If I find them, you can have them.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

That'd be awesome. I have the caps that are on the car. They're the plastic ones that should be silver with the Mercedes star on them. Note that I said SHOULD be silver !!

All the silver paint on them is long gone, they look terrible. They or the ones with the blue on the would be fine. Let me know, if they're in decent shape I'll buy them from you.

Hey Doug, how's your progress?

Regarding the air vents.....
    First of all check the wheel on the center vent to be in open position.
    Air vents are operated by a vacuum element (below), so if your center air vent does not operate it's an indication your below might have a rip or the line that goes to the below is cracked. Also how's your vacuum pump, do you hear constantly surging (vacuum pump is located in the trunk behind the rhs covering. Not working vacuum element might create a vacuum leak=> therefore problems with engine idling. The engine vacuum system and all other vac. systems are connected thru a manifold.

I just changed my fresh air/recirculate vacuum element, and i had to pull the dash. I have few printouts on this subject, so if you'are interested i can e-mail. For the dash removal I'm gonna post the video on youtube maybe in a week or so.

8. EC means - econo mode, the A/C compressor is NOT engaged. Press AUTO for the A/C to work.
    1995 C280 charcoal metallic

Hi, Andy. I got the center vent to work. There was a light gray vacuum line that goes up into the top corner of the firewall area by the passenger side that was disconnected. It connects under the intake manifold at the rear of the engine. Once I connected that, it seems to be working, except that occasionally I hear a sort of screeching whining sound coming from the center vent now.

My main problem is the darned key not turning. I have to go through the time and expense of towing the car to a dealer because they will not sell me a new car without physically having the car on hand. It's the most bizarre policy I have ever seen. That being said, I am trying to save this car from going to the wrecker. However, if the new key doesn't fix it and it needs $1000+ in computer work as I have read, I am done with it. I will keep my fingers crossed that once I drag the car to the dealer the new key will work.

As for the air conditioning, I have tried to hit the auto button, it doesn't work. I'm assuming that something mechanically is wrong with they system. I am not going to every try to work on it until such time I know that the car will start with the new key. Once that happens I have to try to have the system filled to see f lack of freon is the problem.

One thing at a time, this car has been a challenge, and the local MB dealers are the worst, most disinterested that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

I hear u. MB dealerships are the worth. They like pips with new expensive rides, cause they can milk them for cash. Try to find an independent shop. At least u can talk to the guy.

Sorry, i dont know much about the ignition key, can't really help. I remember seeing a cable coming from the shifter. Not sure whats the purpose, also ive noticed sometimes its hard to turn the key need to turn the steering wheel a bit. Must be some kind of a lock.
    Well good luck..

In reply to item #4, here is a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ca6h6HRskU . This is a how to remove and replace but, hopefully this will help.

You mentioned you are in Houston? Try one of these places: http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locat...ouston_SW-239/
    http://www.pullapart.com/ (McAllen, Tx)

You got a really good deal on the car. Once you put in about $4000, it will be real nice.