Quote Originally Posted by wichipong View Post
    bilsteins all the way!
    In terms of quality/durability?

a known brand is always better.
    go with koni's if you want more fun and adjustability

Quote Originally Posted by arar_hany View Post
    In terms of quality/durability?
    for me is price and ride comfort... havent tried any other brand

As everyone has their own opinions as to what shock is best- I too have one but will leave that out.

What I will add is the fact that with shocks "you get what you pay for". Quality costs money. the more expensive is not name branding, it is in fact quality and the ability to adjust to tailor the ride better than a non-adjustable. Internal valving type and quality (meaning :linear or digressive) is important when it comes to low piston speed control but high piston speed bleed-off the deter harshness. Low piston speeds are shaft movement into the shock body at 1-10" per second, high piston speed is more refered to at 11"-25" per second. A linear valved shock will either not damper low speeds, or will control low speeds and become too harsh at high speeds. Digressive is the way to go. Adjstablitly allows for difference in spring rates and vehicle roll rates. A stiffer spring generally will require a higher rebound (release) rate of damper. Konis are really the best as for having these qualities of the common over the counter option- however cost shows Konis are generally most expensive for that reason.

i'm about to purchase the cheapest alternative for my W202 C280 Sport for now... and I will see how well they perform and how long they will last.
    Found a pretty good deal on FCP euro for Bilstein B4 touring. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...43-amg-b361856

Quote Originally Posted by arar_hany View Post
    i'm about to purchase the cheapest alternative for my W202 C280 Sport for now... and I will see how well they perform and how long they will last.
    Found a pretty good deal on FCP euro for Bilstein B4 touring. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...43-amg-b361856
    These are an OEM replacement, so they should make your ride feel a lot better if your current shocks are shot and the rest of your suspension is stock (not lowered).

About three years ago, I replaced the original Sachs shocks (they had only 20k miles) with KYB's
    The original Sachs were too "loose" the car floated a bit.

The KYB's put an end to that. They give a tighter ride and yet remain comfortable. The cost difference with Bilsteins was not an issue.
    I simply felt that the KYB's did as good or better a job. I know many will not agree with my choice.

In Charge
    Decided to swap out my Koni's and use Bilstein B8s. They should be going in soon. Will report my opinion.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

In Charge
    So I have the B8s in and really like them. I think it suits my needs in terms of comfort and firmness, and IMO a better ride than my old Koni adjustables.

I recommend them if you want a slightly more comfortable ride.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

In Charge
    So I have the B8s in and really like them. I think it suits my needs in terms of comfort and firmness, and IMO a better ride than my old Koni adjustables.

I recommend them if you want a slightly more comfortable ride.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

How's the body roll control in corners? These cars suffer badly from a narrow tall chassis and a low roll center without correction ability especially when the car is lowered a bit. Nose dive is a problem also.konis have a high rebound to help fight roll in corners, how's the bilsteins compare?

In Charge
    So far so good. No noticeable diving under normal braking and a few slightly hard stops. I am actually surprised. In the corners, not sure. Have not tested them as hard as I know the Konis would go. I suspect low roll but not less than Koni as I used them on their hardest setting.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

I've just ordered Kyb shocks for my 230K sport suspension. Bilsteins from the agents were 3 times the price. And kyb were the only one's to have a sport shock in stock in South Africa will report back on ride and differences. Though I think it should be better as my original Bilsteins are on 294000 km even though they don't really bounce nor are tgey leaking .

I reckon the new shocks will transform the car Abbas. When I replaced my original shocks none were leaking and it would pass a bounce 'test'. The difference was night & day with the new shocks.
    JJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbaso View Post
    I've just ordered Kyb shocks for my 230K sport suspension. Bilsteins from the agents were 3 times the price. And kyb were the only one's to have a sport shock in stock in South Africa
    Where did you order the KYBs in SA?
    As for Bilsteins, they are R1,000 a piece straight from the Bilstein distributors. Almost R2,000 at MB though

I got them through my local parts store. Were like R600 or abit less each. My friend owns the store so phoned quiet a few places till he found them.

Nice. And how happy are you with them in the last 3-4 month's you've used them? I won't really mind getting the KYB if they are good I had also looked at Konis, but they seem hard to find, and therefore need too deep digging in pockets.
    (If it matters, I'm in JHB, with 1999 C230K)
    Last edited by sicelo; 12-21-2015 at 05:07 AM.

I must say that my original Bilsteins had about 295 000km on them and they would have passed a bounce test. If monwy were not an issue I would've fitted the Bilsteins. They car is better no problems with the KYB I just fitted the rear. I had a good set of standard Gabriels that I'd taken off a previous w202( was on the car for 2 months) that I fitted to the front. I also plan on changing them before the 3 year warranty is up as my friend would just send them for rfc (return for credit). So overall I think they're worth the price

Thanks very much for the feedback. I will look at the KYB too because unfortunately I'm also cash-strapped for the time being. Interestingly, my rear shocks (which are the ones I want to change) are also passing the bounce test just fine, but there is really bad sag in the rear of the vehicle (so much that sometimes I wonder if the root cause is not springs instead). Car has 230,000km.