Thread: Desperately need ideas to check for key not turning - might have to junk the car

Desperately need ideas to check for key not turning - might have to junk the car

My key suddenly stopped turning in the ignition. The car is a 1998 C230. I charged the battery, checked the terminals, checked every fuse, checked all connections under the hood, just about everything I can think of. Still no luck, the key won't turn. I used to hear a sound of some sort of electronic action when I inserted the key into the receptacle in the dash, I no longer have that.

Running out of my limited knowledge of the car and not having any diagnostic options left, I called three local M-B dealers. All three demand that I bring the car to them to make a key. It will cost me many hundreds of dollars to tow the car to them, in addition to $350 for a key, and after all this the key might not even be the problem. I can't gamble that kind of money with a car I only paid $500 for. The frustrating this is the car ran fine after I bought it, this only happened the other day out of nowhere.

Can anyone think of anything else I can check. My only option if I can't get this to work at home is to junk the car. I can't spend over $600 for a tow and key, only to find out the darned car still won't run. I have to say out of frustration that Mercedes Benz is hands down the worst, most disinterested organization that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. They're terrible.

Hi Doug, sorry to hear about you problem. I'm going to assume you only have one electronic key and not another to try. Question: when you insert the electronic key does the ignition grab onto it (grip the side of the key)?

One thing I thought of trying if it is the electronic key you have, open your drivers side window, get out of your car (with key), close the door and hold the IR up to the sensor on the door handle, depress and hold the lock button on the key. If the doors lock and the window closes its not your key. If not, most likely you just need a new key. No need to take your car to the dealership.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Capt; 05-30-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Added comment
    2000 C280 Sport

im assuming you have the smart key (infrared)... i believe there is a cycle count on it... cant you just go to the dealership, show your ID and registration as proof of ownership and get a key? not certain that the car would start with the new key

Thanks, guys. I have only one smart key, that's all the previous owner had to give to me. The remote part of the key that works the locks works fine. It's the transponder inside the key itself that doesn't seem to be working. I called every MB dealer in the Houston area. Every one of them says that MB refuses to allow them to issue a key without the car physically on the property.

My only hope is trying to troubleshoot this at home. I did notice one small think that may or may not mean something. The horn does not blow. Does your horn blow on your car with the ignition off? I'm just grasping at straws to see what may be an issue. I'm hoping it's an electrical problem and not the electronic system that recognizes the key.

Any ideas that any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Yea that's the new law that came out. You have to tow the car to them and show you are the owner.

I would start with a key.

Horn not working only means the power isn't applied to it since the EIS isn't turning.

I read somewhere that this is related to the shifter and some sort of a release cable that leads to it.

I had this happen to me occasionally until Remo fixed my shifter which was sometimes getting stuck and wouldnt go into park or whatever.

The key has been working fine ever since

Also my key would get stuck in the ignition and i would have to fuk with it for a while till i was able to get it out.

Just my idea. Hopefully it helps...

Try going through your shifter a few times before turning your key maybe
    Last edited by predrag1; 05-31-2015 at 11:27 AM.

You can't row the shifter until you turn the key. His key won't turn. That's a key / EIS issue.

Sorry to hear your having trouble with your key they can be a night mare when they go wrong best of luck just don't scrap it.

How about the steering wheel?

Try putting the car on Neutral position and try turning the key also change the battery thats inside the fob.

You should be able to bypass the key lock look for a tool in your glove box that's bronz color _/- <~ kinda looks like this poke it in that little flap bottom left? In the shifter it releases the shifter lock

... You guys realize there is no neutral safety switch on DAS3 cars, the shifter module in communication with the EIS via CAN (network). Getting the car to go in neutral is only helpful for the pick n pull tow truck driver. If the EIS took a shit, your not gonna start the car.

No ignition trickery, no fancy alarms, no remote starters, no used keys, no stupid eBay monkey business.

Doug,
    So just to fully understand, The key goes into the lock cylinder but doesnt turn tumbler or does the key turn through pos ACC and START and nothing happens? Here at the MB of Georgetown(TX) you do not need to tow the vehicle in, only need to show proof of ownership to order a new key. $190 for smart key, $35 for plain jane.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by aMz64 View Post
    Doug,
    So just to fully understand, The key goes into the lock cylinder but doesnt turn tumbler or does the key turn through pos ACC and START and nothing happens? Here at the MB of Georgetown(TX) you do not need to tow the vehicle in, only need to show proof of ownership to order a new key. $190 for smart key, $35 for plain jane.

Adrian
    Hi, Adrian -

The key won't turn at all. You insert it into the ignition switch, and no turning is possible, and there is no "clunk" that indicates that they key was read or accepted. Also, it's not a lock cylinder, per se. It's just a rectangular receptacle or hole, there is no real key. The key is a plastic case so to speak with the transponder inside that just plugs into the rectangular hole in the dash. Is that type of key also $190, or is that type more? It's a 1998 C230.

Can I submit proof of ownership to you via mailed documents or do I need to get out there. I'll buy a key from you tomorrow if I can do it through mail. If not I have to find out a way to get out to you. Do you have a way for me to contact you directly?

Doug

Doug,
    Sorry if I was misleading. I meant "Here" as in my area. I am not a MB employee in any way. I went through a similar situation, but with an actual key not a FOB being stuck. I was given a bunch of grief at the MB of Austin. The MB of Georgetown only asked for a title with my name and VIN to order key. The only bad part is that any ignition component purchased from them must be installed by them and cannot leave the location. Not sure if that is the norm. A google search of "MB of Georgetown TX" should get you the numbers to contact the proper department.

Adrian

Good to know next time a problem like this comes up.

Well, I finally was able to get a trailer and bring the car to the dealer. Ordered a new key, it was 277.00 plus tax (ugh). Put the key in the ignition, and VROOM....started right up. Dodged another bullet there! Just wanted to let you guys know how it worked out. Now on to more problems with the car, checking them off the list one by one. Next up is a very rough idle when in drive, and a inoperative A/C. New post at the top on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
    My key suddenly stopped turning in the ignition. The car is a 1998 C230. I charged the battery, checked the terminals, checked every fuse, checked all connections under the hood, just about everything I can think of. Still no luck, the key won't turn. I used to hear a sound of some sort of electronic action when I inserted the key into the receptacle in the dash, I no longer have that.

Running out of my limited knowledge of the car and not having any diagnostic options left, I called three local M-B dealers. All three demand that I bring the car to them to make a key. It will cost me many hundreds of dollars to tow the car to them, in addition to $350 for a key, and after all this the key might not even be the problem. I can't gamble that kind of money with a car I only paid $500 for. The frustrating this is the car ran fine after I bought it, this only happened the other day out of nowhere.

Can anyone think of anything else I can check. My only option if I can't get this to work at home is to junk the car. I can't spend over $600 for a tow and key, only to find out the darned car still won't run. I have to say out of frustration that Mercedes Benz is hands down the worst, most disinterested organization that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. They're terrible.
    You dont need to junk the car i have this same problem with my 202 everyone said i needed a new FOB, no i just jerk the steering wheel and the key turn, try jerking the steering wheel and turning the key good luck

Got the key finally from the dealer. $300 later and I am back up and running. Damn, it just shouldn't be this hard and this expensive to get a car key. Looks to me like M-B "solved" a problem that just didn't exist. Talk about stupidity through over engineering, compounded by M-B corporate policy for key replacement that borders on ludicrous and abusive.....

Last summer the same thing happened to me. MB of North Houston got me a key next day. All I had to do was show proof of ownership.
    KOMPRESSED