Thread: Coilover Recommendations?

Coilover Recommendations?

Decided to get coilovers for my 2000 C230. Looking on ebay right now leaning towards KSport coilovers. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Link to the search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...+w202+coilover
    Last edited by DGr1FF; 06-13-2015 at 05:43 PM.

I have tons of experience with coilovers, but not with the W202. Was hoping Trent (Dearlove) would chime in and give imput on his he had custom made from Ceika.

What I CAN tell you is the rears are not coilovers, they are weight jackers. It is impossible to make all 4 corners of a W202 into Coilovers with factory suspension mounts. All the kits you see are mainly shocks with weightjacker perches intended for the conventional spring pockets.

Just to add my 2 cents worth. Vetruck is spot on, the rears are not coilovers - always take the photos with a pinch of salt especially on eBay. If you want to fit rear coilovers start chopping, fabricating and welding the chassis. As for fitting coilovers to the front which I've considered but dismissed simply because the inner wing was only designed to take the shock load not the load from both spring & shock. My concern is damage in the long term to the inner wing and I have mentioned this potential problem before on here where I've known of reported cases on W201's (190E's) suffering cracked inner wings due to coilovers - the W202 is more or less the same design as the W201. The last guy (well experienced racer) I know of who fitted coilovers on the front (on his hot road car) welded in bracing around the top of front shock mounting to join the chassis rail and bulkhead and also at the inner wing to where it joins the chassis rail.

Having said all that maybe there isn't an issue with W202's, maybe the inner wing can support both shock & spring and not causing any type of distortion when both are working under pressure?

Me, I'll stick to the adjustables yellow Koni's that Vetruck recommended along with Eibach springs as I'd have my doubts that sub €1000 'coilover kits' would perform much better on a W202 daily driver compared to the Koni's - can't prove that, just my suspicion.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 06-21-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    JJJ.

I appreciate the responses guys...wow some invaluable information that I'm glad I found out now. Could you toss a link to the adjustable yellow Koni's as I'm having trouble finding them? Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm very picky about my ride height and wheel gap which is why I'm looking for something adjustable. Thanks.

Have a look here: http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...99-Which-shock

There's others to choose from too like Bilstein and H&R etc. If I didn't buy the Koni's I'd have gone for H&R as they are good value here in Europe anyway.

There's also two types of adjustable Koni's that I'm aware of, the one's I have are monotube that are only adjustable off the car and I think the other type is a twin tube but adjustable on the car - you'll need to double check that, see Vetruck's post #58 in the attached thread above.
    Now, just for the record I'm not saying don't fit coilovers on the front, what I am saying is I wouldn't, that's all.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 06-21-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    JJJ.

Although the pictures in that link show them as coil overs, they're not. They'll be split spring/shock, which will do fine.