Thread: Any tips on a new muffler for a 2000 c230 kompressor?

Any tips on a new muffler for a 2000 c230 kompressor?

Hey everyone. I have a 2000 c230 kompressor and wanted to switch out the muffler.

I want a more aggressive sound to it , without it sounding obnoxious like a fartcan. Ive been looking around the web and different stores, but I can't decide which is the best for my buck. I'm willing to spend from $400-$1400 ... I had a friend that has a c180 with a badass, deep sound when idle and when reving. Thing is, that I have lost contact with him.

Anyone have any experience with the muffler being switched out for better performance/look?

Thanks in advance !

I had the front box removed (the one just after the cats). Really happy with the sound. Worth a try as it's very cheap to get someone to remove it and weld in a straight pipe in it's place. Something around 4-5kg (10LB) weight saving too.

Edit: I'm presuming that the exhaust system on U.S. models are the same as Euro models.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 08-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    JJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones Jr. View Post
    I had the front box removed (the one just after the cats). Really happy with the sound. Worth a try as it's very cheap to get someone to remove it and weld in a straight pipe in it's place. Something around 4-5kg (10LB) weight saving too.

Edit: I'm presuming that the exhaust system on U.S. models is the same as Euro models.
    Nice. I'll check that later this week.

Have you done any other mods to your car ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLKW202 View Post

Have you done any other mods to your car ?
    Exhaust wise, no. Cat delete (bolt-on bolt-off for emissions test) would be next along with fitting larger copies of the standard exhaust tips to the back box. Other than that I wouldn't be interested in doing anything else really. Ideally, I'd like a complete new exhaust system but only on the basis that it provided worthwhile weight savings and didn't sound like a fart in a can.
    JJJ.

Exhaust wise, no. Cat delete (bolt-on bolt-off for emissions test) would be next along with fitting larger copies of the standard exhaust tips to the back box. Other than that I wouldn't be interested in doing anything else really. Ideally, I'd like a complete new exhaust system but only on the basis that it provided worthwhile weight savings and didn't sound like a fart in a can.
    What do you replace the cat with?

What about wheels, or interior?

Quote Originally Posted by BLKW202 View Post
    What do you replace the cat with?

What about wheels, or interior?
    The cat is replaced with a straight pipe (with new flanges added that allow it to bolt to the original pipe) or two pipes in my car as there's two cats side by side. So, come emissions testing time it's only a matter of unbolting and bolting in the cats. Beware, I don't know if you could get away with that in California or on any OBD2 car. Check first or somebody on here might advise.

My wheels are standard Sport versions, 16'' with 205/55 tyres. I do want to replace the wheels but will sticking to 16's from a W208 CLK, the version I want are known as Toliman's, they are forged and very light @ only 6.2kg/13.5lb each. See photo below.

Again my interior is standard Sport (5sp manual), the only mod so far is a Stack boost gauge, just have to decide where to mount it permanently. I do have another extra gauge for fuel pressure but that's a direct mount on the engine fuel rail. Again see photos below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolimen.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	2729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STACK 2.0B ST3111_on.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	2727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauges 001.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	2730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Gauge.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	2728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M111K  Fuel press Schrader valve.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	2731  

Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 08-22-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    JJJ.

The cat is replaced with a straight pipe (with new flanges added that allow it to bolt to the original pipe) or two pipes in my car as there's two cats side by side. So, come emissions testing time it's only a matter of unbolting and bolting in the cats. Beware, I don't know if you could get away with that in California or on any OBD2 car. Check first or somebody on here might advise.

My wheels are standard Sport versions, 16'' with 205/55 tyres. I do want to replace the wheels but will sticking to 16's from a W208 CLK, the version I want are known as Toliman's, they are forged and very light @ only 6.2kg/13.5lb each. See photo below.

Again my interior is standard Sport (5sp manual), the only mod so far is a Stack boost gauge, just have to decide where to mount it permanently. I do have another extra gauge for fuel pressure but that's a direct mount on the engine fuel rail. Again see photos below.
    I want to change my wheels to a slightly bigger size with smaller thread size.

Still undecided to which size rim and which size tire

If you want a bigger wheel size I'd opt for 17's but many fit 18's. As for the tyre width & profile I couldn't advise off hand. Just watch the weight of any new wheel and tyre combination as some are very heavy.

Check out this: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    JJJ.

Hey did you leave your muffler on when you did the exhaust mod ? Or did you take both resonator and muffler off ?

Only deleted the resonator near the cats, the back box is left as original. I don't think it would a great idea to remove both from a noise perspective. The back box does most of the noise reduction I'd reckon.
    JJJ.

Only deleted the resonator near the cats, the back box is left as original. I don't think it would a great idea to remove both from a noise perspective. The back box does most of the noise reduction I'd reckon.
    Got any video ? I would like to hear how it sounds without the resonator !

Sorry no video at present.
    JJJ.

Sorry no video at present.
    How does it sound when revving ??

O.k. I think. A nice growl and a deep sound at idle. Better still the car lost about 10lbs by taking the resonator out, it was fairly heavy. So, it's a win, win.
    JJJ.

O.k. I think. A nice growl and a deep sound at idle. Better still the car lost about 10lbs by taking the resonator out, it was fairly heavy. So, it's a win, win.
    Gotcha. Sorry for the late response. Lol