Thread: Rotor "warp" and directional vane question

Question Rotor "warp" and directional vane question

So to continue my issue as mentioned in this post about "warped" or pulsating rotors, I thought I'd start my own post.

We've already determined that the rotors aren't top quality (Centric drilled) but I discovered today that I might have two right side rotors. I say this because the part number listing from where I bought shows a "left front" and a "front". I had bought two "fronts" because I did not notice the other one that was denoted "Left". The direction of the holes and vanes appear to be correct for the right side. I've read conflicting statements about vane direction in relation to evacuating heat. Does it really matter? Does it make sense that my rotor could have developed hot spots because the vanes are the opposite way on the left than the right?

I'm thinking that the description on the website is wrong and I'm going to try and contact them about it since I would have ordered a left and right had they been correctly listed.
    These rotors have only been on my car since January.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	2785

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	2786
    KOMPRESSED

Can't imagine there would be a problem using the same disc/rotors for left and right. Modern M-B discs are not handed even with directional/curved vanes from what I know.
    JJJ.

If you are extremely hard on them then yes it does make a difference if they are curved vane rotors.

I am not seeing vane direction in your photos, you are only showing the face of the rotor and not the vents. The face IS showing the drilled hole patterns as being the same direction, but often the pattern can spiral in on one manufacturer and spiral out on another manufacturer even though the vanes in the vent go the same direction. The vanes (If curved vanes) should spin with the vent catching the air at the outer rim and propelling it through the vent towards to inner hub (not the other way). You vanes very well could be straight vanes (not curved) if so then direction does not matter- My guess from looking at the drill pattern is they are curved vane rotors. It looks from the pattern that the left is going correct direction, yet the right is backwards. The drill pattern does not look like it would fit a straight vane rotor. The last of the 3 drill pattern holes AND the first of the next 3 drill pattern holes look like they share the same curved vent (which is a common drill pattern)

The 2006 C6 Z06 Corvette actually had left hand curved vane rotors ONLY on both sides of the front of the car from the factory. This was to save cost. The right side rotors did ineeed heat up quicker and caused problems with track use. It is very common to immediately change the quality of those rotors to aftermarket if tracking a Z06.
    http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10156-01

Let me show you a photo from Wilwood what a curved vane rotor vent looks like-

Name:	SRP-Drilled-Performance-Rotor-dw-lg.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	2787

and also a straight vaned rotor-

Name:	SRP-Drilled-Performance-Rotor-n-Hat-dw-lg.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	2788
    Last edited by Vetruck; 10-08-2015 at 12:47 AM.

Thats what I was thinking as far as "scooping" the air towards the hub. Here is a picture from Centric. They show the curved vanes on the non-drilled version too, but I don't see a L/R application.

Name:	128.35052_DRA__ra_p.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	2789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125.35052_DRA__ra_p.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	2790
    KOMPRESSED

That second picture showing the vane direction would be the right side rotor. Those are fairly heavy duty rotor design. The question is more with the metal quality Centric uses, not the rotor size/shape. A curved vane rotor has more mass and strength then a straight vane rotor.

I found a multi-piece rotor for my application, but they are over $600/ea. This led me to investigate building my own setup, while hopefully retaining the AMG 4-piston caliper. I haven't had any luck as wilwoods rotors are either too small or too large in diameter. I need a 13.5"x1.1" and they have 12.8" or 14". And all I can find for Brembo are their GT kits. Same with Stoptech.
    KOMPRESSED

I just ordered OEM Brembo front rotors. Hopefully that will solve my issue.
    KOMPRESSED