Thread: Hedlight Interchangability

Headlight Interchangability

I recently picked up a 99 C280 Sport with light front end damage. There's no branding and from what I can tell I just need a headlight, a corner and bumper.
    I have a 96 C36 for parts, and noticed the headlights are different.
    Any chance someone could shed a little light on the subject?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151014_053103.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	2805  
    Last edited by joef; 10-20-2015 at 09:01 AM.

the pre-facaelift models which came out 94-96 has h4 headlights and different pins/connectors than the facelift models from 97-00 that uses h7 bulbs which became standard, i believe... the pre-facelift also has the fog lights beside the low beams (inner light closer to the grill) where as they have it under the main light and the high beams are on the facelift models... hope this helps,

the picture below is from my preface-lift model... I switched my lights to 6000K HIDs and 3500K yellow fog light bulbs..

Thanks for the reply.
    Is it possible to replace the post units with pre units? Purely out of convenience as I have a set. Or is it more trouble than it's worth.
    I figure I'm going to put the C36 kit on it, since I need a front bumper anyways.

I would think the units should interchange easily, but you may have to be creative with the harness to get all lights functioning as they should.
    KOMPRESSED

possible yes... but you would have to change the wiring pattern/diagram on it... just keep the pre-s to the pre-s and vice versa... imho

most parts are interchangeable... but requires a lot of modification.

possible yes... but you would have to change the wiring pattern/diagram on it... just keep the pre-s to the pre-s and vice versa... imho

most parts are interchangeable... but requires a lot of modification.

I have mine just if you're in the states just need a lenses on the one free mines a 2000 c230 markers are separated from headlights I would suggest the aftermarket ones I got

I bought some Xenon full headlight kits off Ebay about a year and a half ago. The ballast they came with went bad in about a month. I replaced them with SLIM 35w ballasts and the light is much brighter white and still going strong. No blueish tint at all, very crisp clean bright white lights. The high beams are OEM bulbs and are much more yellow, including the halogen HELLA driving lights have a tinge of yellow. The normal lights are as bright as the high beam AND driving lights together- consequently I never use the high beams any more, yet the lows do NOT blind people at all because of the diffusers on the lense and the fact I aimed them properly (which most people lack courtesy...my pet peeve)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	2855

Name:	A3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	2856
    ps- I also put my Mercedes star emblem back on the front of the car because the Brabus black button emblem in the pictures above looks like crap in comparison.The OEM star is much classier looking.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 12-07-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Name:	IMAG0401.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	2858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0414.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	2857
    I have hid in my lows I tested for beam spread before road driving makes a pretty dam good line for being halogen housing no death flair from signs at all halogen in the highs ima run 35 wat bulb with a 55w ballast for the highs
    Last pik is with halogen low first 2 with hid Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0394.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	2859