Thread: Just bought a 2000 C200 Estate, need help with a few issues

Just bought a 2000 C200 Estate, need help with a few issues

I just bought a 2000 C200 Estate here in Australia and have a few issues I would like to fix. I have done a few searches but any advice on the following problems would be very much appreciated.

1) Headlining needs fixing. I have done this on other cars (BMW's) but this Mercedes looks a bit more difficult to get the headliner out. Is there any instructions for what needs to be removed and how to get it out for the estate?

2) Part of the rear seat is torn and I thought I might be able to just replace this part rather than the whole back seat base. It is the child booster seat part. Are they easy to replace? Can I find one from a sedan or does it have to be an estate?

3) Wiper stops part way up obscuring the driver's view (right hand drive). What is the usual cause of this? Clean the wiper motor tracks?

4) Needs some new interior parts: centre console box lid, rear passenger door handle/arm rest (just the vertical cover part), front door speaker cover. Any tricks to any of these?

5) My wife wants some front cup holders. I see there is a part from US cars that goes in the console. Are these easy to obtain and fit?

6) Temperature LED display missing a few segments. Is this something that can usually be fixed with some soldering and if so how do you get the instrument cluster out?

7) The driver's seat has a small tear. If I find a replacement will the seat from a sedan fit?

8) Do they have anchor points for child seats?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by johna; 05-23-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Hi Johna, this link may help with the wiper issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ca6h6HRskU.

I just replaced my cup holder in a C230 U.S. version (part# B 66 92 0 102) the instructions mention C-class, E-class, CLK coupe and cabriolet, but not estate specifically , but it may still work. I can P.M. you the directions and diagrams if you'd like.

Today I managed to fix one of the problems. I removed the front wiper mechanism which was quite easy and realigned it. Someone had put it back together wrong previously. It works great now and doesn't block the driver's view.

I also eventually found the child seat anchor points which are simply on the back of the seats (wagon). I hadn't seen them before as the carpet almost covers them.

The rear wiper doesn't work, and I posted a question about this in the repairs section.

I also found the front interior lights were missing bulbs but when I put bulbs in the lights are on permanently. I think this could be a faulty switch?

We are quite happy with the car, but unfortunately it does have a bit of rust on one the doors and around the sunroof.

I also have a question about the automatic transmission. It seems to not change up a gear when going up hills. Even if you stop accelerating. Once you reach the top of the hill it will then change up a gear. Is this normal?

Also, I am used to cars with temperature gauges that get to a point (half way) and then stay there (unless something is wrong). In this car the temperature goes up to 3/4 and down to 1/4. It moves between those positions depending on whether moving or in traffic. Is this normal for the W202?

Today I managed to fix one of the problems. I removed the front wiper mechanism which was quite easy and realigned it. Someone had put it back together wrong previously. It works great now and doesn't block the driver's view.

I also eventually found the child seat anchor points which are simply on the back of the seats (wagon). I hadn't seen them before as the carpet almost covers them.

The rear wiper doesn't work, and I posted a question about this in the repairs section.

I also found the front interior lights were missing bulbs but when I put bulbs in the lights are on permanently. I think this could be a faulty switch?

We are quite happy with the car, but unfortunately it does have a bit of rust on one the doors and around the sunroof.

I also have a question about the automatic transmission. It seems to not change up a gear when going up hills. Even if you stop accelerating. Once you reach the top of the hill it will then change up a gear. Is this normal?

Also, I am used to cars with temperature gauges that get to a point (half way) and then stay there (unless something is wrong). In this car the temperature goes up to 3/4 and down to 1/4. It moves between those positions depending on whether moving or in traffic. Is this normal for the W202?

edit
    Last edited by Hario'; 02-03-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: double post.

Regarding gearbox, it probably needs a fluid and filter service, they get sluggish with old burned fluid, holds a lot mind.

Temperature gauge wandering is probably because the radiator needs replacing, take a look at the front fins and brush them with your finger, if they flake away into dust it needs changing. Mine needed this, sits at mid point all day now.

Remove the plastic sill covers and check there for rust also..