Thread: How much wheel travel?

How much wheel travel?

Just curious if anyone knows how much wheel travel, front an rear A 202 has? To be specific the 97' C280 non-sport....

They have about 3" of travel within the designed articulation path. Beyond that the tire footprints need correction.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in the process of turning my c280 into some what of an off-road car- that probably sounds strange to most but so far it has done very well on a few drives up main divide (forest road in Cleveland national forest) probably the most crucial modification was all the heavy gauge steel plate and bracing I added underneath to completely cover an protect anything that would leave me stranded if I were to go dragging the car across a bunch of rocks. The front bumper cover has been removed an steel 2x4 tubing welded/tied into the unibody frame rails, from that I have some 1x3 tubing that goes around the core support. My front skid plate starts from the bottom of radiator core support an goes back to a piece of square tubing i welded between the points where lower control arms mount to. Transmission pan is protected in the same way an so are the plastic fuel tanks. The rigid fuel lines I have covered front to back with square tube that I cut in half. The front bumper I made has two large d-ring shackles welded on both sides which are way more solid the the factory tow hook point. I took the differntial out an cleaned it out really well in solvent tank then ultra sonic that we have at work then went to town on the spider gears with my stick welder. For now wheels are oem with 205/75r15 General grabber AT2 tires. Tight turns on asphalt are a little noisy now even worse in parking lots. Suspension hasn't had much done besides some rubber/poly coil spacer type things that you see in "leveling kits" for trucks but that's because my plan is to build some custom control arms that are 4 " wider on both sides (started on the uppers today at work) if I can afford some decent coilovers I'd love to stuff a set in there but that obviously will require some more rethinking an fabrication especially the upper mounts. The more practical option would be to buy some springs in what ever spring rate an length I need an some remote resivoir shocks that are compatible with my dimensions. Front an rear sway bars are gone an there's probably some stuff I left out but you get the idea..... Oh yea to supplement the factory headlights when doing off highway runs at night a 40" led light bar was installed on hood ( relocating to roof soon) I've had the car up a few trails that some people wouldn't consider trying in their mostly stock or slightly modified jeeps, tacomas, etc. it's been through some mud up to the bottom area of doors an decent size water crossings that had mud coming up over the front an down through my open sun roof. The thing has been a lot of fun. Definitely not what I woulda guessed when I first bought the car

I've ridden at Widomar many times in life. Have taken Main divide in my motorhome and my lowered pickup truck from Ortega to the OHV park

I haven't been to wildomar but I've rode a lot of the trails in that area on my drz 400. When the right gates are open a decent ride is from Silverado up to Santiago peak then down twords the 74 next to Hell's Kitchen. Ranger says Silverado burn area should be opened back up on October 1st. Soon as it is I'm taking the Benz across