Thread: 2000 C280 Underbody Leak

2000 C280 Underbody Leak

Hi guys, first post here and hopefully not the last.

I've recently bought my first MB, a 00 C280 with 157k miles. Drives excellent however there is a small oil leak from under the car. I got under it and the bottom of alternator seems oily, so guessing something from around that area where engine oil flows is causing the leak. I thought it might be the electrical connector for Transmission so bought a whole kit but now seems like leak is from somewhere else. Also, since the oil gets blown rearwards, a lot of under car is greasy.

Here are some pictures, hoping someone more experienced than me can give a suggestion as to where its leaking from.

back of the engine is the rear main seal.
    remove tranny to access RMS, this is not a cheap repair.

also check around your top valve covers, olio leaks down on the exhaust manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    back of the engine is the rear main seal.
    remove tranny to access RMS, this is not a cheap repair.

also check around your top valve covers, olio leaks down on the exhaust manifold.
    I wouldn't say its back of the engine. Seems like from under or near 1st spark plug on passenger side but near front of engine (where air flow meter is).

wipe with paper around spots, drive car make a new inspection where it comes from?
    M113 engines have leaky valve covers olio leaking down on exhaust, maybe you have a similar issue, olio is scattered around the engine by wind pressure?
    I bet your M112 has the same issues like the M113 engine

gasket for oil test port next to the harmonic balancer is also leaky

harmonic balancer internal seal is also leaky