Thread: C36 AMG Piston Rings

C36 AMG Piston Rings

Doing a complete rebuild on my C36 and wanted to share the ring sizing. The top ring is 1.2mm, second ring is 1.5mm and the oil ring is 2.5mm. That is with the 91mm bore for the AMG pistons. Mercedes does not sell only rings and at $1100 per piston for some rings it’s not worth it. I ordered some from Total Seal as a custom kit for my engine so if you need some un-unobtainable rings give them a call
    "The Best or Nothing"

Thanks for the heads up. I may be heading in that direction fairly soon. Tearing down the car right now for a trans swap finally and am going to just pull the entire motor for a lookover. I am still up in the air what I am going to ultimately do with this car but I certainly am not getting rid of it...lol. WOuld like to turbo it with mild boost-5-8psi and I see I can pick up a long block 2000-2002 230K motor (without supercharger) for about $800 to my doorstep with only about 100K on it. my current 1994 C220 M111 motor has about 240K. Probably a cheaper route. I doubt I would put 5K on it a year driving wise over the next 20 years.

THis car has been regulated back to a complete spare play car. Wife was driving it full time up until about 16 months ago. Its been sitting in the garage collecting dust. I figure a 6-9year upgrade in technology in the motor would be a good thing over the first year M111 bearing wise, head wise, etc. Might not be worth a rebuild for me.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 10-24-2017 at 11:34 PM.

I believe those late 111k motors aren’t massively different from the 202 chassis engines. I can’t remember the compression differences between the supercharged engine and the na but I know rings and engine components are available for that engine. The bearings in a 104 are the same as a 103/603 engine which the 104 AMG crank is from (603). I had 220k on mine when I tore it down and the mains looked great. Rod bearings looked great. The bottom ends are just well made