Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C32 front brakes on a W202?

Lightbulb C32 front brakes on a W202?

Will a W203 front brakes fit on a W202...a C32 front brake conversion is looking mighty tempting..
    2006 xB - bubble tea mobile
    1984 AE86 SR5 - project levin
    1986 AE86 GTS - project trueno

OG Moderator
    I think you can, mark cummings said it could be done .

OG Moderator
    Yes it will fit

since C32 caliper fit on W210
    so It will fit W208 and W202 as well..

Regardz,

J Irwan

Re: C32 front brakes on a W202?

Originally posted by ExSLKBoy
    Will a W203 front brakes fit on a W202...a C32 front brake conversion is looking mighty tempting..
    hahahha youre thinking about it cuz it cost around 700 bucks from the dealer
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

203 421 09 12 Brake Disk

002 420 19 83 Caliper Left

002 420 20 83 Caliper Right

003 420 42 20 Brake pads

220 421 01 71 Screw for brake disk

124 214 04 71 Screw for calipers

220 540 07 17 Brake pad indicator

I think those are the part numbers.... i think

The reason why I say is I was always under the impression that AMG parts always began with HWA but these didnt just your normal A.

I dont drive to hard so my brakes are still pretty much ok. Maybe when it comes time to redoing my brakes I'll do this set up. It is like 800 and change not bad.

Incase you wanted E55 brakes

HWA 210 421 01 98 Caliper Left

HWA 210 421 02 98 Caliper Right

210 421 18 12 Disk Left

210 214 19 12 Disk Right

OG Moderator
    Anyone

has a snapshot of Original E55 front caliper..?

As I recall their looks just like a regular caliper... no fancy AMG label/logo on them..?

Regardz,

J Irwan

bump for the people needing the part numbers for whatever they need it for.

OG Moderator
    I hear that it won't fit right, as you have to fit the caliper on the opposite side -

Given that the calipers have sequential pistons, the order of them would be reversed, decreasing the effectiveness of braking.

Also, note that the rotor/disc will only come unidirectional, so it will be reversed on the other side, further reducing effectiveness, especially in cooling.

I wouldn't do the C32 "upgrade" personally.

In Charge
    Are E55 (up to 02) brakes 4 piston or 2?

Edit: I read that the 2000-2002 have 4 piston calipers.

Do you think that the E55 brake calipers can direct bolt on to the W202? They already have the same size rotors. Basically, I would like to step up to 4 piston.

Any insights?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

In Charge
    Originally posted by J Irwan
    Anyone

has a snapshot of Original E55 front caliper..?

As I recall their looks just like a regular caliper... no fancy AMG label/logo on them..?

Regardz,

J Irwan
    Here you go:
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Denlasoul,

The C43 has the same brakes as the E55, W210, not the W211 or the new one.

I was told to check into the brakes off the SL600 Final Edition. They are 4 piston, aluminum Brembo's with 13.7" rotors.

I hear they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc.

But If you wait a week or so I will have my new brakes that are of better quality than the Mercedes AMG stuff, and are much lighter and will have more braking force.

Cost is about half of Aftermarket Brembo Setup.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by speedybenz
    Denlasoul,

The C43 has the same brakes as the E55, W210, not the W211 or the new one.

I was told to check into the brakes off the SL600 Final Edition. They are 4 piston, aluminum Brembo's with 13.7" rotors.

I hear they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc.

But If you wait a week or so I will have my new brakes that are of better quality than the Mercedes AMG stuff, and are much lighter and will have more braking force.

Cost is about half of Aftermarket Brembo Setup.

Jeff

Jeff,

When you said "... they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc."..

which one do you mean and to which it will bolt right up..??

Also keep us posted with the custom brake for you C43

Please let us know

Regardz,

J Irwan

In Charge
    Jeff:

I thought the C43 was a 2 piston caliper and the E55 was a 4 piston. If that is so, I would be interested in upping to a 4 piston. I, too will look into the SL600.

I havent fully evaluated my braking needs and requirements. I plan on s/c my car, and would like to have at least a 4 piston caliper setup. If, the C43 is indeed 4 piston then I will leave them alone. Unless, of course, I feel the need to upgrade. Are the C43 2 or 4 piston?

I remember reading about your brake system setup. Weight saving would be ideal, and maybe someting to go after in the future.

Regardsless, keep us posted.

DLS

Edit: Ok, where did the 98 C43 get its brakes? E55 first arrived in 99, and on mbusa the 2000-2002 are 4 piston, not sure about the 99. The 99 and 2000 C43 probably did get its brakes form the E55. I gotta pop off my wheel and see for myself. Maybe I do have a 2 piston and the 99/00 has a 4 piston.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

C36 brakes are 4 pistons
    i see no reason why C43 wouldn't be same

60-0 in about 106-107ft ;p
    not bad for a 4 door auto

OG Moderator
    Denlasoul...

C36 has 4 pot caliper with 12.6" rotor (by ATE)

C43 , CLK55 (w208) and E55 (W210) has 2 pot caliper and 13.1" 2 piece rotor (by ATE)

now C32, CLK55 (w209) has 4 pot caliper and 13.6" rotor (by brembo)

the W211 E55 has larger brake I forgot the spec but they are the same as SL55. I think they 8 pot caliper brake and about 14" rotor..

I hope this clear up some confussion

Regardz,

J Irwan

anyone know the disc size for a stock 2000 c280?

OG Moderator

Re: C32 front brakes on a W202?

Originally posted by SLK Boy

hey man,

are you still looking....

I am selling mine never used ...
    check out the classifieds

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I hear that it won't fit right, as you have to fit the caliper on the opposite side -

Given that the calipers have sequential pistons, the order of them would be reversed, decreasing the effectiveness of braking.

Also, note that the rotor/disc will only come unidirectional, so it will be reversed on the other side, further reducing effectiveness, especially in cooling.

^Posted by Luwin

This is correct. They bolt right up but they will not work as effectively as they do for the C32 they are designed for. I almost did this conversion too but backed out because of this dilema.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by DougandhisC280

^Posted by Luwin

This is correct. They bolt right up but they will not work as effectively as they do for the C32 they are designed for. I almost did this conversion too but backed out because of this dilema.

I will say it again it will be bolt-on straight up

Since the mounting position on the C32/W203 as trailing caliper you would have to reverse it on W202/W208/W210 as a leading caliper.
    But it will work.

I however found out a way to install it correctly on W202/W208/W210 a.k.a not in the reversed way (like most people who had done this convertion).

check this thread out.

I am also aware of the one directional vented rotor part.
    However, if you do this brake convertion it shouldn't be worse than C32.
    Although to get the maximum brake is not achieved here with the rotor being one side (directionally vented) obviously Mercedes thought that this should be fine for street use.

But if you want to Autocross, or track the car you GOTTA pay the premium buy the best brake you could buy i.e MOV-IT, Brembo, StopTech, APRacing, WilWood, etc..

but for the money it is no brainer it cost 1/5 of brembo and 1/4 of Stoptech and MOV-IT, and 1/3 APRacing .. you get the idea.

But in short you get what you paid for.

But for the money it is worth it. (better than stock Non AMG car's brakes for sure)

Regardz,

AS far as will E55 Brakes fit on W202?

I believe its a "YES", Cuz not long ago Jack "TP" had put them on his car about a yera ago.

Originally posted by MBATF
    AS far as will E55 Brakes fit on W202?

I believe its a "YES", Cuz not long ago Jack "TP" had put them on his car about a yera ago.
    210 E55
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Now to sum up everything, first of all is it worth replacing the original c36 braking system with the c32 one and why. And wether the answer be yes or no, which braking system upgrade would be recommended to replace the c36 braking system without having to pay lots of money. For example, would the SL600 braking system be an imporvement over the amg c36's, if so why ?

Thanks to whoever than can accurately answer these questions.

P.S. I need new rotors anyway, mine is cracked so i was thinking of upgrading the whole brake system itself.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 36SlaMMed
    Now to sum up everything, first of all is it worth replacing the original c36 braking system with the c32 one and why. And wether the answer be yes or no, which braking system upgrade would be recommended to replace the c36 braking system without having to pay lots of money. For example, would the SL600 braking system be an imporvement over the amg c36's, if so why ?

Thanks to whoever than can accurately answer these questions.

P.S. I need new rotors anyway, mine is cracked so i was thinking of upgrading the whole brake system itself.

SL600 which model R230 chassis or R129 chassis

If you talking about R129 SL600 then the answer is no.
    Since it using the same rotor and pad as C36.

The only possible upgradeof other model I can see for W202 chassis including W208 CLK and W210 is:
    1.C43 brake upgrade which has 2 piece 13.1" rotor with 2 piston floating caliper (a.k.a sliding caliper).
    2.CLK55(W208)/E55(W210) the same setup as C43 the same caliper and same rotor, but different piston bore (I got this from someone at other forum)
    3.CLK32 AMG 1 piece 13.6 rotor with Brembo 4 piston fixed caliper.
    4.Premium big brake kit with 2 pc floating rotor in 13",14" or even 15" with 4 piston fixed caliper such STOPTECH, BREMBO, AP RACING, ALCON, BAER, WILWOOD, MOV-IT, etc which cost at least 4x of C32 brake

PS:C43, CLK55(W208) and E55(W210) has exatcly the same physical appreance, and the caliper made by ATE.

The reason for C43/CLK55/E55 brake upgrade is not worth it is because part alone (caliper, rotor, pad and sensor) will set you pocket back around $1100-1200 (parts only)

So by looking at this fact C32 brake is the most bang for the buck upgrade.
    Then off course the performance of C32 brake is still no better that those premium big brake kits. But you'd get what you paid for : )

I hope this answer your question.
    Also on another just in case someone ask about W124 500E/E500 brake upgrade it's not worth it why.

95 C36 AMG has 320mm front rotor
    96-97 C36 AMG has 316mm front rotor
    all year W124 500E/E500 has 300mm front rotor (the are some difference in caliper setup between the earier 500E (Brembo aluminum caliper) and later E500 (ATE caliper).

Regardz,

J mad props to you man Thanx a lot.

I have one last question for you..in your opinion if i were just gonna change my rotor, which rotor would be the best for my c36 thats bigger in size and is cross drilled without having to pay lots a money, if you can give me a link maybe someone you know, i really need rotors right away.

Again thanks a bunch

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 36SlaMMed
    J mad props to you man Thanx a lot.

I have one last question for you..in your opinion if i were just gonna change my rotor, which rotor would be the best for my c36 thats bigger in size and is cross drilled without having to pay lots a money, if you can give me a link maybe someone you know, i really need rotors right away.

Again thanks a bunch

What year is your C36 again..?

you can upgrade your rotor and pad, but there is no way you can upgrade to bigger rotor without upgrading the caliper as well.

I have been having a hard time finding my 97 for OE-size aftermarket rotor.

I have been searching for Crossdrilled or slotted, and no one has anything like that for 96-97.
    The only aftermarket OE size rotor is plain 316mm vented rotor.(Brembo via Tirerack or stick with Stock rotor (ATE))

Although I was thinking of getting crossdrilled and frozen or possible slotted and frozen rotor from www.frozenrotors.com or http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

PS:I meant frozen as cryogenic treatment a.k.a cryo treatment

But at the end the cost of each rotor would be around $195 each plus shipping .

Plus from what I have been hearing the best pad upgrade so far for street driving is porterfields R4S (90% low dust compare to OE pad) which cost about $98 for the front set. That's why I decided to give them a try. We have a groupbuy going on at mercedesshop if you interested.

So you see the C32 was my best option , except it wouldn't fit my 18" monoblok wheel. , and that's the reason I decided to put it up for sale instead of keep it.

and if you have a 95 C36, good luck finding aftermarket.
    Since the rotor is 320mm and have HWA - AMG specific part number (HWA 202 specific part number) the only available rotor replacement is only stock.

(PS: if you decide to go for C32, look no further I am selling mine and it is ready to bolt on and you don't have to anything special, since I have done all the works )

Regardz,