Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

Mine broke a while back. What happened was the nut that holds the linkage to the motor shaft came off.

I found a place online that sells the motor for a little over 100. I would take apart the assembly and if the linkage is all ok then just replace the motor yourself. From what I have seen with these monowipers everyone wants to replace the entire system when just one part is broken.

I will try to find the link of the place with the motor and post it.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by kameraguy
    Hahahahha! yeah, cheapest parts first. I adhere to that too, hence why i'm using Rain-X at the moment (works ok). Next up....a tube of grease!
    or you can drive really fast and the water will fly off the car. . . but maybe not since GAS is costing an arm and leg nowadays/
    Got BRABUS?

Originally posted by 714guy
    or you can drive really fast and the water will fly off the car. . . but maybe not since GAS is costing an arm and leg nowadays/
    Off topic but damm, your right. I can't find premium for less than $1.99. Wonder what the excuse is this time?
    On Topic. I love the monowiper. I just wish it retracted about 1 or 2 inches more (had a retracted park position) so that it was out of sight. Parking on the right side was not the answer. More water runs up in drivers view with the first swipe. I could never do Steve's vertical park. That would just be added attention for me and I don't need that. The high spped thing really does work. Go fast enough and you don't even need RainX. Road grime from traffic in front messes things up though.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

Guys, I took apart my wiper assembly and it had lots of grease everywhere on the linkages. But I still greased the piston rods, linkage and as many bushings as I could get to and low and behold she is wiping again!

I appreciate all the help on this and I especially need to thank BoomingBenz for posting up the easy tutorial. All the steps were right on the money. I sure don't know how strong your hands are but man i needed to pry off the cover clips with the head of a long bolt! That was pretty tight. But other than that everything was easy peasy.

When looking at the piston design I can see how the grease got pushed out to everywhere. Looks like a tight fit for the bushings. After i applied the grease and gave it a few wipes, that grease was also displaced and the pistons looked clean. I hope whatever thin layer still exists stays on for quite a while. To be safe i'll keep a small amount of grease in my car just in case this happens again.

This was a great lesson for me and hopefully it'll help someone else too

Maybe this should be a tech tip?

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and the MBZ world. I'm glad to have found such a great forum that helps everyone enjoy their MB's without emptying their wallets at the stealership for minor repairs.

Just out of curiousity, what models/years came with the monowiper setup?

I can do a more formal writeup with more pictures if you would like. Let me know

Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

What you posted is cool enough. if you want to make it more formal then I sure wouldn't mind. Let me know. You can post up a formal thread and then it can be a tech tip in the repair forum. I'll ask the mods to see what they think.

Thanks!

BoominBenz,

Since my wiper's been "hanging up" for a couple of weeks this caught my eye. In my mind it "felt" like it just needed a bit of lube somewhere in the linkage - and that kind of thing keeps me from heading to a dealer.
    Such a simple fix!

Thanks from me and my still solvent bank account.

Don
    97 C230

WHOOOOOT!!!!!

YEAH! thanks boomin!!

damn last night comin home when itwas pouring my wiper seized up in the middle of the windsheild. I was like oh shit my wiper motor just died. SO after driving very slow the rest of the way home almost crashing numerous times, i get online to search for "windsheild wipers" this thread pops up. I read Kams first post and start to worry that this damn mono wipe is gunna cost me 1000+ bucks to fix! Then i read boomins writeup and do the same, works fine now!! thanks man!! this is y i love this forum!! tons of good info! A++++ THis should be a tech tip write up!!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Glad it helped you out. I would hate for someone to have to spend that much money on a new wiper mechanism that just needs to be lubed!!!

Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

OG Moderator
    I will agree that the tip provided for lubing the wiper will help. but maybe only for a while.. Ive seen customers with the same problem and I have lubed it up.. and have never seen them again. and other times they are back in a week or 2 with a completley siezed wiper!!
    luck of the draw I guess!!

and for everyone wondering why the dealer wants to sell you everything.. (the motor, linkage and gearing).. its becasue the gearing or possibly linkage is seizing up causing extra load on the motor.. slowing everything down when it hits the middle spot.
    so If you just replace the motor, you have fixed a third of the problem.. and you will be back with another seized or slow wiper. so they say replace it all so the problem doenst return, a costly repair......but needed.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Re: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

Originally posted by kameraguy
    ...keeps slowing down during the middle portion of the windshield. And I don't have the faster speeds anymore. Ironic as it has been raining really hard the past few days....
    So, I am now having this problem and I cannot click up to the 3rd speed and when on the off position it keeps going (trying to) in interval mode. What was the experience when you lost your speeds. Hoping I don't have to replace the combo switch. Feels like I am gonna break it if I try to force to 3rd speed. Please advise what happened to yours. Thanks!
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

If your combo switch physically won't move to position three then there is something obviously wrong. Possibly something lodged or broken inside. Are there any other problems with the wiper portion of the combo switch? Do the other positions work correctly?

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Yep, they all work correctly, but I think you may be right about something mechanically wrong with the switch. It just happened to occur at the same time as my wiper issue because I was turning them on and off so as not to burn out the wiper motor more than I need to.
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

OK, so I greased up the wiper mechanism and now it moves smoothly! Thanks everyone!!! It's at least fixed for the moment.

Now for the bad news...I somehow broke my combo switch (the part that turns the wipers on) so that I only have interval and off position. I live in Seattle and it's now winter...so I definitely need 2nd and 3rd speed. Anyone know how to take the combo switch apart so I can see what's going on in there?
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

In Charge
    Originally posted by 97Brabus
    Now for the bad news...I somehow broke my combo switch
    What the hell did you do now!?!?!? j/k
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

97brabus, If you are coming to the gtg on Saturday we can swap out the switch in no time if you want. It will take about 30min, let me know and I will bring some tools. If you want I can see how much I can get one for at my work, I work at Phil Smart "the stealership". It sucks to not have your wipers, it's been raining like mad lately. Let me know.

Benzaddict,

I would definitely be interested in checking your price. I may take a shot at repairing it if it's spendy...so if you could find out if there's a schematic that shows how to disassemble it (the knobby part with the wiper switch) that would be helpful too.

Denlasoul - I think I got pissy with the switch when I was trying to see out the windshield. The switchy got b*tchy!!!
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

Here's the best I can do for you for a schematic:

http://blauschwarz.home.comcast.net/wiperschem.gif

Later
    Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Bump.

I had white lithium grease in my garage. This post just saved me $800.

Thanks CLUB202.COM!!
    Some might say I enjoy the drive a bit too much... I live to pilot myself with efficiency

Yep! Thanks over here too!
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

For real, this place can save you some serious money! This thread as well as the the seat-switch thread nokia posted has been of great help to so many people already!

In Charge
    Originally posted by AWD_Dan
    I had white lithium grease in my garage.
    Ha! I used to coat my BMX bike brakelines with white lithium grease!
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Ha! I used to coat my BMX bike brakelines with white lithium grease!
    I had a can of it to use for my boat propellor!

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Wiper Problem

First- I'd like to mention how much I appreciate this forum and everyone that posts. I've learned so much since I've discovered this site and I've just been amazed how much information is posted here.

Second- This is a great thread. I recently ran into my own problems w/ my wiper. I have a 1994 c280. My wiper just stopped working; no movement whatsoever. So what do I do? Search this forum for wiper problems and here we are. I've tried to do the instructions posted for oiling the internal wiper mechanism and to no avail my wiper is still not working. I can hear the motor turn on, but still no movement.

Any suggestions?