Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

Is there any binding in the switch when you flip the wiper on? I had to replace mine at the same time I had the lubrication issue..mostly because I got mad at it and flipped it on and off so much it broke. Its a mechanical switch inside your combo (turn signal switch). You also may want to try helping the wiper move to help determine if it's the motor...
    97 Brabus C280 Sport

Funny, it was right after my combo switch died, I started having the sticky wiper arm syndrome. & Thanks to his very thread, I saved $800

And no problems since

-Dan
    Some might say I enjoy the drive a bit too much... I live to pilot myself with efficiency

No no no no no no selling...

in the wrong Forum

without having 30 previous Posts.

okiedoekie

Sticky windsheild wiper

Just yesterday my wiper was getting stuck at certain points of it's sweep. I read on this thread about removing the two covers to expose the sweep mechanism. I did this and relubricated the two rods with the sliders (even though they seemed in perfect condition) and tried using the wiper. Still the same fault! It turned out to be the sliding joint which the wiper arm is joined to! This is more susceptable to weather and dirt being only partially covered, so more likely to fail than the covered mechanism. Don't get me wrong, the other area can fail!

I lubed up the slider rod and tried it out, worked perfectly. I recommend cleaning the gunk off the joint before giving it the lube as to prolong the life.

I was glad this was such a cheap effective solution to a seemingly VERY EXPENSIVE problem!!!

Re: Wiper Problem

Originally posted by CMSw202
    First- I'd like to mention how much I appreciate this forum and everyone that posts. I've learned so much since I've discovered this site and I've just been amazed how much information is posted here.

Second- This is a great thread. I recently ran into my own problems w/ my wiper. I have a 1994 c280. My wiper just stopped working; no movement whatsoever. So what do I do? Search this forum for wiper problems and here we are. I've tried to do the instructions posted for oiling the internal wiper mechanism and to no avail my wiper is still not working. I can hear the motor turn on, but still no movement.

Any suggestions?
    i jus ran into this problem yesterday...i found the nearest garage to look at it & the said it was the wiper transmission

any other suggestions before i have it replaced...$60 for part but labor is $100 =$160, not a bad deal since i had to drive an hour from work to home in the rain yesterday...im glad i made it home in 1 piece
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

Thx BoominBenz...I a have 99 and couldn't get the big plastic cover off (#5)....anyhow. I just got to (#4) on your instruction and applied lithium grease to the shaft...and it's nice and smooth again....make sure it's fully extended (43 degrees).....

Re: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

well atleast their charging you $200 less of what they charged me!! and i found out later that i just needed to grease the wiper linkage and etc.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    ...keeps slowing down during the middle portion of the windshield. And I don't have the faster speeds anymore. Ironic as it has been raining really hard the past few days.

Was working fine this morning, but during lunch it started up. VERY annoying.

So i drop by the dealer and inquire about the problem. They check it out and say my motor is broken and needs to be replaced, as well as the relay as it's probably being burned out by the excess motor load.

You know how much to fix this?

$1500!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!

So here's what i need according to Smythe:

202-820-53-42 - Electric Motor - $223
    202-820-46-26 - Relay - $100
    202-820-07-07 - Gearing - $700!!!

So this is just for parts. They are going to charge $550 for labour!!!!

OMG I almost had a heart attack.

Granted my extended warranty should cover it, but dang!

Anyone have this same problem?

Still deciding what to do now....
    2004 S500

Wiper = Quitter

Ok - so I was having issues with my wiper, in that I was driving in semi-torrential rain on the hwy and the wiper just quit in mid-wipe! I limped home with the hazards on and found this post, which was VERY helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Many of you are talking about greasing up the arms and mechanical parts behind the wiper cover.
    This was not my problem. I opened it up and it was greased fine and moving freely. So then I took off the cowl and all the plastic covers to get to the motor and linkage (My motor still was working - I could hear it, so I ruled out fuse/relay issues quickly). The motor ran, but the wiper didn't move. So, I felt around in there and the linkage was kind of loose on the driver's side by the motor. I pulled the whole assembly out and inspected it to find that the linkage was loose on the motor and needed tightening - I tightened it (the motor has splines to make the linkage actually move). This job took ~20 minutes all toll, and cost $0.00. I couldn't bear thinking about laying out a grand or more for this repair, so I tinkered around and figured it out, and I was GLAD I did. PLEASE check yours before dropping tons of money on it - it could be something that simple.
    Please see detailed pics below.

*SOLD* :-( 1994 C280 Spruce Green/Kiwi w/Parchment Int.
    Avant Garde Grille, Eagle Eyes Headlights & Clear Corners
    Alpine head unit w/Ipod connect, upgraded cupholder, replaced stupid cassette holder with tray
    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
    2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 3.5

Re: Re: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

Originally posted by Renn 208
    DTM wiper mod...of course!

Wow though, I never realized that the wiper parts were soooooooooooooo expensive. May I ask, how did the gearing break? Or more directly, what's wrong with the gearing so that you need to replace it?
    how do you do the DTM wiper mod?
    when ever i have the wiper on and im turning my car off i kinda try to time it so it stays in the middle. but it doesnt always work, only on good days lol
    but this wont help if im driving, and ive hear of removing th fuse, but i just think thats retarded. i would think there a way to reset the computer timing for that
    1997 C 280
    1984 190D 2.2 5 SPD!!
    1995 E300 Diesel * RIP*
    2003 C230K Coupe...Sold!

Re: Re: Re: My windshield wiper motor is going out...

Originally posted by mike mac
    how do you do the DTM wiper mod?
    Send a message to strictlyspeakin - he also did a write up on it. It's just a matter of doing what I did in the above diagram and just setting a different "park" position. It really isn't that hard.
    -G
    *SOLD* :-( 1994 C280 Spruce Green/Kiwi w/Parchment Int.
    Avant Garde Grille, Eagle Eyes Headlights & Clear Corners
    Alpine head unit w/Ipod connect, upgraded cupholder, replaced stupid cassette holder with tray
    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
    2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 3.5

I had this problem, I just used some silicone spray that doesnt leave residue. This is something I use on the pulleys, ect on my sailboat and withstands weather great.

Excellent posts from BoomingBenz and greenphant!

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    Mine broke a while back. What happened was the nut that holds the linkage to the motor shaft came off.

I found a place online that sells the motor for a little over 100. I would take apart the assembly and if the linkage is all ok then just replace the motor yourself. From what I have seen with these monowipers everyone wants to replace the entire system when just one part is broken.

I will try to find the link of the place with the motor and post it.
    Same problem I had. I went to the scrap yard n picked up the entire assembly for like $40 but when I got home I realized that it was just the nut that had come off. I put it on and tightened it n viola. It works just fone for now. I will keep the assembly for like a week just to make sure then ill return it

Thanks!! The stopping wiper arm has been lubricated thanks to the tips here.
    I can add that a long strong room key worked a charm to "unhook" the oval cover plate.
    Everything was clean and very very dry

I used Prolong spray-on grease. It is recommended for sunroof rails and gears as well as any other application exposed to water.

Thanks guys. I will lube mine asap.