Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator making noise

Alternator making noise

Does anybody know why the alternator would make a rattling noise, if not alternator mabye something around it but im sure its it!

Elvir
    Baaa

Re: Alternator making noise

Originally posted by C280 JR
    Does anybody know why the alternator would make a rattling noise, if not alternator mabye something around it but im sure its it!

Elvir
    Maybe it's one of the pulley. Or if it's the alternator then
    the bearing on it is broken.

hvmercy

what do you mean bearing?, also the noise is making a plastic type of rattling noise.

ELvir
    Baaa

my alternator started having a grinding sound after rinsing the engine. must be a bearing
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front
    - 17\" MOMO\'s

Rattling noise is often the tensioner shock. Have you had yours changed?

Originally posted by LV202
    Rattling noise is often the tensioner shock. Have you had yours changed?
    no i have not...how much does it cost

Elvir
    Baaa

The little shock is behind the water pump pulley a tad and is 20 bucks.

The rubber gasket (at the top shock eye) gets dry and cracks. Then it's metal on metal = the clacking/rattling sound. Some people take the top bolt out and slide a rubber washer between the shock eye and mating surface. I did that first and it muffled the sound. Then it got brittle too and the sound came back.

I put the shock in after that and it's been quiet since. The old one was worn OUT.

The way to test is with a large screw driver, breaker bar etc. Whatever you can get down there. Locate the shock (flashlight might help), then start the car. CAREFULLY slide the scewdriver down and pry it against the shock. Try it a couple of different ways. If the noise stops...then there is the problem. It gets quiet real quick.

Does the sound stay constant no matter what? Or just on start up?

honestly...i have not herd it these two days...i started my car two days ago, and it made nosie, i took it to the service, and it stopped when i was there..but im sure it would be back..im gonna try what you said

Elvir
    Baaa

Yea maybe it's on the way out. Be careful prying anything against it. Make sure you have some light on it when you do it.

ok i heard it again....i want to know, how big of a problem is this, is it something that needs to be done right away or can it waait

Elvir
    Baaa

Is the noise constant?

It can wait...IF that is the problem. Did you do the test to see?

i tried some stuff but i still cannot confirm where exactly its comming from...you would not happen to have any pictures would you..

Elvir
    Baaa

i tried some stuff but i still cannot confirm where exactly its comming from...you would not happen to have any pictures would you..

Elvir
    Is the noise constant?

Did you pry against the shock, or are you saying you couldn't find it?

Is it a clanking type sound?

When you answer the questions I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

i just tried to pin point the location..cause i dont know where exactly it is coming from, but its coming somewhre around the alternator...right now i its slightly lighter sound i can bearly hear it next to the engine noise..but the ratling that its making is somwhat like a plastic sound even tho there is no plastic around that area...and its coming from the left side of the engine..close to the headers.(which i tought was the problem also)

Elvir
    Baaa

Sometimes the noise will travel and be in a totally different area than where it came from.

Oil weight? What are you using? Does make a tapping noise on start up? And get better when it warms up?

Only when it starts up? or Constant

Tomorrow when it's cold disconnect the air pump harness (Air pump is right under the Alt. Harness can disconects at top). Then start the car. If there is no noise then you are hearing the air pump bearing going south. If you still hear noise then proceed to look elsewhere.

You haven't answered my other questions so I can't help you any further right now. Did you pry against the shock or are you unable to find it?!?!?

i dont quite know what the shock looks like

Elvir
    Baaa

ok....i got under the car, and the noise was coming from this black round piece of box, it looked it had a small square mesh on a side, it sat below the alternator...anybody know what this box is??

Elvir
    Baaa

Air pump is under the alt.

Air pump bearing goes south and makes noise on start up , when it is used.

You can disconect the air pump and start the car. If there is no noise then there is your problem.

Follow the wiring harness from the air pump, above the alt, and behind the front (black) cover. You take the cover off, then reach back and disconect the harness.

Start the car up and see if the sound goes away.

Let us know the results to help future people with this problem.

there is a fat hose that connects right to it, can i take it out there? and now that i pinpointed the problem, most likely how serious is that...and what does it do..

Elvir
    Baaa

there is a fat hose that connects right to it, can i take it out there?

Elvir
    No.

Once you start the car with it disconnected, THEN you have pinpointed the problem. If it is the problem, then it is most likely the bearing gone bad. In which case you will have to replace the entire pump.

It warms up the cat on cold start.

have you checked the belt tensioner? mine needs to be replaced because it makes the clicking/rattling noise everytime load is put on the engine (shift into a moving gear at idle, turn on headlights/AC..). its pretty loud also, you can hear it from the inside of the car.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

The little shock is behind the water pump pulley a tad and is 20 bucks.
    are your referring to the belt tensioner? if so, where did you see it for $20? ive searched for the part and the cheapest one is around $200.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Originally posted by ricerokets4life
    are your referring to the belt tensioner? if so, where did you see it for $20? ive searched for the part and the cheapest one is around $200.
    No, I'm talking about the belt tensioner shock. This makes a rattling sound because the bushing wears away allowing the metal to bang up against the metal.

200 bucks is about right for the tensioner sad to say.

No, I'm talking about the belt tensioner shock. This makes a rattling sound because the bushing wears away allowing the metal to bang up against the metal.

200 bucks is about right for the tensioner sad to say.
    yeh, ive been holding off on the repair cuz im getting the feeling my mechanic is ripping me off (still less than dealership though). he says ~$500 for labor to replace the entire belt tensioner assembly. i checked on various forums for some DIY instructions but to no avail.

maybe its because of a faulty shock? how do you tell if its the shock and not the tensioner itself?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Originally posted by ricerokets4life
    yeh, ive been holding off on the repair cuz im getting the feeling my mechanic is ripping me off (still less than dealership though). he says ~$500 for labor to replace the entire belt tensioner assembly. i checked on various forums for some DIY instructions but to no avail.

maybe its because of a faulty shock? how do you tell if its the shock and not the tensioner itself?
    The shock is on the earlier models but not sure if it is on your year or not. Anyway, get a flash light and check down there. Mine was pretty tucked away. To see if it is the shock (once you find it, and assuming you have one) pry a breaker bar or long screwdriver against it with the car running.( Be careful while you are doing this, you don't want any accidents.) Lean on the shock and if the sound goes away that's it.

Do a search on http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3?s=

and see if you can get an answer from a tech there. It's tough to believe the tensioner is shot at 6 yrs old.

Keep us posted.

Edit: 500 for labor seems pretty high to me. Unless there is something totally different about the tensioner on a V-6 compared to an I-6.