Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator making noise

ok so what you are telling me is that i need to get an air pump bearing, and not the black box also..btw, how much is that, and can i do it by my self...if you know the price..thanks

Elvir
    Baaa

Originally posted by C280 JR
    ok so what you are telling me is that i need to get an air pump bearing, and not the black box also..btw, how much is that, and can i do it by my self...if you know the price..thanks

Elvir
    You have to first isolate the nosie to know what it is.

The bearing, is not sold seperately. You have to buy the entire air pump. If that is what it is.

If it is the pump...it is a DIY project. If you are that kind of guy. Are you?

i guess i can do it my self, i always tend to have people around on my first new thing that i work on,...but how much is the air pump, cause its really getting anoying having to hear the rattle..

Elvir
    Baaa

i guess i can do it my self, i always tend to have people around on my first new thing that i work on,...but how much is the air pump, cause its really getting anoying having to hear the rattle..

Elvir
    Does the rattle go away after warm up? Say 2- 4minutes? If it keeps rattling it's not the air pump.

New pump is 300 bucks online.

it keeps rattling, non stop, like i said, when i looked under the car, it made noise from the black box...so i dont know what is the process that i need to do to replace that

Elvir
    Baaa

it keeps rattling, non stop, like i said, when i looked under the car, it made noise from the black box...so i dont know what is the process that i need to do to replace that

Elvir
    I doubt it is the air pump then.

Probably the tensioner shock.

Take it to a tech.

Elvir I just had to replace my alternator cause the bearing was done. So much for german precision bearings. Anyway your description of sound and location is similiar to mine. I do have 43 though so may be in diff location. Cost for me with dealer cost on parts was 900.00 total, totally suuuuuuuuuucks.
    98 c43(mine) lots of goodies
    97 c280sport(hers)17 monos only

Originally posted by moedigga
    Elvir I just had to replace my alternator cause the bearing was done. So much for german precision bearings. Anyway your description of sound and location is similiar to mine. I do have 43 though so may be in diff location. Cost for me with dealer cost on parts was 900.00 total, totally suuuuuuuuuucks.

900 bucks!!!??? Are you sh*ttin' me?

Man...find an Indy, unless you have a lot of money you like to throw around.....

I was thinking it may be a pulley bearing too. There is one, directly to the right of the Alt. also.

Best bet is find an Indy and take it to him. See what he says. I doubt it's a big deal.

Actually lookin at receipt now 627 for alternator and 224 labor. 851 total. Dealership is lot o money. But I get Vip treatment cause its my bestfriends family dealership. And hes got a few years and family members to go before he can really give me the hook.

List price for Alt on Fastlane for AMG is 330 bucks. It's usually two bolts and maybe 15 minutes to replace. Glad I'm a DIY.

How do you like Columbia? I have been thinking about moving to Charlotte NC.

Columbia is alright. Its an up an coming college town. Been here about 7 years now. From Mass but went to college here at USC and I'm still here.

looks like im gonna sell the car tomorow, so if it is the same problem 900 bucks is gonna be spent by some other person..hopefully it goes well

Elvir
    Baaa

i went to my mechanic, he siad it cost somewhere around $600 for the part if its fixed, and $800 for a new one..plus labor..he said its somehting like air pump or somehting, inside that black box, but i forgot what its called WHAT IS THE BOXES NAME?...he said the whole box needs to be removed for a new one..

Elvir
    Baaa

You can buy the air pump for 300 bucks online.

where...that is a pritty god deal..comapred to the stealership

Elvir
    Baaa

thanks...i did not know they had it...hope it wont give out on me during my trip to florida...

elvir
    Baaa

Dude if it is the air pump it only comes on for a minute or so during a cold start. It is not something that will leave you stranded. You *may* fail emissions later down the road, but you won't be by the side of the road.

what is the process of replacing an alternator...i already replaced a voltage regulator on the car when it died, but it did not do any good, so i have to change the alternator. On other cars i noticed around one scew it can be adjusted so it can tighten the belt, but on the benz i have not noticed that, all i see is two screws..do i just take those two scres out in order to take out the alternator, or is there more to it than that? and if so what is the process after you put it back into place to tighten it?

Elvir
    Baaa

You have to release the tension on the belt first. On mine you have to unlock the allenbolt (8mm I think) on the front of the tensioner. It is tucked away near the front, feel for it. Then there is a vertical bolt (it is hollow) behind it. Loosen that a turn or two and belt should loosen up. There is a pointer there too (on top), to show you your tension. Look at what it is before you untighten anything. If you can't find the allenbolt hole, use the vertical bolt as a start point. Then look forward. The allenbolt hole is facing the radiator. Get a light and shine it down there to find all this.

Do NOT over tighten it when you put it back on. If it is the same tensioner unit as mine, it is prone to break easily. I.E. keep an eye on the pointer.

Pretty easy once you get going.

where are the allenbolt and the vertical bolt located at, if you could post a picture if you have one?

or can this help...

Elvir
    Baaa

Allen bolt and vertical bolt are part of the TENSIONER assembly. Not the alt. You have to loosen the tension on the belt before you can take the alt off. On my car (1994) the tensioner is on the (facing the car) right side of the pulleys. I had a pic to help another guy, but it got deleted. My digital isn't working right now either.

Pay attention to the directions if you decide to loosen the tensioner. Again, like I said, it is prone to easily break if you over tighten it. Just use common sense. I won't be back online for another 2 weeks or so. So good luck.

Keep us posted.

What ever happened with the air pump? BTW if it is not belt driven it is ok to let it go. No big deal. But if it is belt driven you have to address it.

thanks alot, the air pump still makes the noise..ive been through hell and back with my vacation, where my car broke down, so i really did not have time to focus on that part as it still works in a way...my main concern is the atlernator now...thanks again

Elvir
    Baaa