Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tip tronic tranny for 202

I think that as time goes on Manu-matics will get better

BMW's SMG ( Sequential Manual Gearbox)

VW's DSG (Direct Sequential Gearbox)

Are just the latest version of an old idea which is taking a manual and taking the clutch away. The big woop there.

As for slush boxes with manual modes you guy are missing the point.

Full automatic is always the faster than manual mode.

Manual mode has its advantage when you are driving on the back roads when you can down shift in to a corner which and spool the revs up for the exit. this will make you faster be cause you have more control over the car than in full automatic mode.

Until you actually drive a manu- matic on a twisty back road you won't really get it . I have a 99 Passat with tip tronic and I mostly just leave it in drive but when I am late I put it in tip mode and this allows me to have better choice of the gears for cornering.

I understand that the new MB trans, even when in manual mode still will not hold a gear when the rpm gets to the redline. Now that is sick. I would sell my freakin car if it would not hold a gear. With my car now I can run it into the limiter and it will not shift. At least I got that going for me!

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

Running up to redline in any gear is not the best thing to do.

All tip trannys have that fail safe that it will up shift at maximum engine speed to prevent possible valve float from overspinning or bouncing off the rev limiter.

So this is no new added feature.

Speedy why would you want to run you engine up till the rev limiter kicks in anyway.

The key to getting your car as quick as possible is to keep it in the power band or the rpm range where the most hp and torque is produced.

The is one of the concepts that a CVT transmission is based on.

just spent some time driving a new m3 convertible with the SMG trannie. Fun to drive once going, a little rough when you put it in full automatic though. Shifts like crap in "A" mode. Also, try parallel parking on a serious grade without a clutch - it's a true bitch.

I have no complaints about dropping my automatic a gear or two if/when necessary. Slap shift is fine for the car I drive...

just my two cents.