Thread: dash kit for aftermarket radio

dash kit for aftermarket radio (did search)

I'm finally gonna break down and give a shot at installing my Sony deck in my 95 C 280. I've got my list of parts: VW/Audi harness, high low converter for Bose, radio removal tools, antenna adapter...my question is, do I need a dash kit to make it fit correctly in the single DIN slot?

does the VW/Audi harness idea really work?

OG Moderator

Re: dash kit for aftermarket radio (did search)

Originally posted by davis449
    I'm finally gonna break down and give a shot at installing my Sony deck in my 95 C 280. I've got my list of parts: VW/Audi harness, high low converter for Bose, radio removal tools, antenna adapter...my question is, do I need a dash kit to make it fit correctly in the single DIN slot?
    You should not need a dash kit. Your sony head unit should have a sleve to make it tight to the dash.

Thanks pnsji, I appreciate it. I'm gonna buy the stuff now. I was waiting on a response about this so I could just buy all the stuff at one time. From your pics on this in your Nakamichi 400 thread, it doesn't really seem all that hard to wire up and the best part is I don't have to cut my factory wires. If you (or anyone else for that matter) has any more advice\thread links on this I would appreciate it. I'm probably gonna tackle it this weekend provided I get all the parts in by Fri. Couple more questions: what settings should I use on the Hi Lo converter? What's optimal for the Bose system? Can that VEN 4.5 handle 52 watts per channel, cause it says max handling is 45?

OG Moderator
    It should be fine. You need to tune the gain on the high low converter. Let's say the volume on the head unit goes from 0 to 40, the speakers should sound loud when it's at 30 (75%). Tune the gain to match that.

The other thing I saw that I was kinda curious about in the pics you had in that one thread. What were those extra plastic lookink pieces? They were in between the VW harness and the other clear plastic end. The way it looks to me is that the VW harness only has one end and a bunch of wires coming out of it. Is this correct? Is wiring that HI LO as easy as matching the color wires up to one another or is it more complicated than that. Don't get me wrong. I can connect the wires and everything, I just wanna make sure I don't hook it up wrong.