Thread: Caliper Painting Prep....?

Caliper Painting Prep....?

Any recommendations on how to prep them? just some light sandpaper and cleaning? that would be my best guess...if so any recommended grit?? thanks!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Cleaning with industrial degreaser

and then sandblasting

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

degreaser no problem but if you just happen not to have a sandblaster laying around....? =)
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

then sand manually, but I doubt you'll be able to do a good job manually since it's not flat and there are many little hard to reach parts.

The grit doesn't matter, use coarse in order to clean it well. It's not like youre sanding wood, you won't worn the part.

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Clean it as much as you can. Let it dry completely. Then mix the paint in the amount that you would use coz it dry's up easily.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

im just going to use the ford engine red spray paint.... from what ive heard/read this should be ok (about 3-4 coats) am i right? or should i be using sumthin else? thanks!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

OG Moderator
    im just going to use the ford engine red spray paint.... from what ive heard/read this should be ok (about 3-4 coats) am i right? or should i be using sumthin else? thanks!
    Thats what I used.. Ford red engine heat paint.
    I did 2 coats.. but now it doesnt look as bright as it once did, so tou may want to try more coats.. or use the caliper paint from foilatech.. a buddy at work used it to paint his calipers and they came out really nice.
    I used a wire wheel to clean my calipers before painting..
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

i used ford red as well..my calipers lookED good, but now theyre covered in dirt and stuff. i am thinking about painting them black to add depth behind the rims.

i recommend the GT caliper paint that tirerack sells
    i've used it on 2 cars, very nice and glossy and kit includes prep sprays and wire brush etc.
    \"F*** new model cars, we ridin\' ol\' school\" €

yeah i saw the g2 kit on ebay and was gunna ask about it... maybe ill go that route instead...thanks!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

just use a wire brush

just use a wire brush and a good cleaner such as a solvent or even use gasoline to clean them, or diesel. they are the best cleaners... thats if u dont mind the smell