Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 18x9 WHEELS

I live in an igloo and i have an ice rink in my backyard.

Everyday after work I have to go hunt for seals and beavers in order to make dinner.

Yes we say 'eh' but i say 'aiya' more.

T dot O dot
    2005 TSX Graphite Pearl Auto With NAVI
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

1997 AMG C36 (RIP Thank God)
    OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    Speedybenz custom rear camber arms
    W210 mirrors

Originally posted by Rocky
    I live in an igloo and i have an ice rink in my backyard.

Everyday after work I have to go hunt for seals and beavers in order to make dinner.

Yes we say 'eh' but i say 'aiya' more.

T dot O dot

HAHAHAH. WHere in canada do you live???
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Originally posted by jnolte
    HAHAHAH. WHere in canada do you live???
    T dot O dot = Toronto
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 18x9 WHEELS

Originally posted by JRE320
    I just saw what you talking about here. I say BUY IT NOW!!!!! for $949!!! Then we can trade. You get 2 of my 18x8 for your front and I'll get 2 of your 18x9. Email me and we'll talk about it.

Hey Jre

i talked to him and he says he can send them to 2 diffrent places sooooooo. If you want to do this trade email me your address and phone number..
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

HEY JRE U WANNA DO THE TRADE OR NOT??? I have been trying to contact you all day i dont know if ur busy or what but tell me what you think.

I can either get him to send them to my house and your house then you send me my rims or i can get all 4 sent to my house and you send your rims to me and i send your 2 to you?? Its your choice!!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

This thread has kinda gotten off track, but I figured I would throw my experiences in the ring for posterity.

My 1995 C36 is lowered with H&Rs and has Blistein sport shocks. I run #2 pads up front and #3 in the rear

Original setup:
    17x7.5 225/45/17
    17x8.5 245/40/17 AMG Mono's (stock wheels etc)

No rubbing, no issues - as MB intended

Next wheels
    225/40/18 & 245/40/18 Nitto 555 on 8.5x18 Brabus Mono IVs

The tires don't rub, unless the car is loaded and turning tight corners or on large bumps. The rears are perfect- nice ride, good wear etc. The fronts were a different story. The 225 is too narrow for a 8.5 rim. This stretched the tire and cause a number of issues:
    1) Rounded side wall - looks like crap
    2) weakens the tire at the point of contact with the road. This led to tread separation after 20k miles
    3) Incresed wear on the inner edge of the tire

Next tires:
    235/40/18 Yoko AVS DB2, same nittos on the rear

The tires looks much better. 235 is about as narrow as you can go on an 8.5 rim. But the fact that the width is correct and the tire is not stretched means that the tire is taller. Thus the car does rub on when the wheels are locked and you are turning.

What have we learned from this: 8 is the widest 18" rim you want on the front and 225 tires will fit it perfectly.

Not to start a flame war, but here is my 2 cents on the situation. 18's look great, but 17" rims are lighter, ride better, cost less and the tires are cheaper and last longer. To be honest most of us need to get over the vanity of running 18's and just head back to 17's it is what our cars were designed to run and what they run best on. If you show your car, the ignore me, 'cause you ain't gonna win shit on 17's. But if you drive you car, roll with 17's.

~dnm

Edit: thank god I don't get paid to spell....
    1995 C36 AMG

Originally posted by kodiak
    This thread has kinda gotten off track, but I figured I would throw my experiences in the ring for posterity.

My 1995 C36 is lowered with H&Rs and has Blistein sport shocks. I run #2 pads up front and #3 in the rear

Original setup:
    17x7.5 225/45/17
    17x8.5 245/40/17 AMG Mono's (stock wheels etc)

No rubbing, no issues - as MB intended

Next wheels
    225/40/18 & 245/40/18 Nitto 555 on 8.5x18 Brabus Mono IVs

The tires don't rub, unless the car is loaded and turning tight corners or on large bumps. The rears are perfect- nice ride, good wear etc. The fronts were a different story. The 225 is too narrow for a 8.5 rim. This stretched the tire and cause a number of issues:
    1) Rounded side wall - looks like crap
    2) weakens the tire at the point of contact with the road. This lead to tread sepperation after 20k miles
    3) Incresed wear on the inner edge of the tire

Next tires:
    235/40/18 Yoko AVS DB2, same nittos on the rear

The tires looks much better. 235 is about as narrow as you can go on an 8.5 rim. But the fact that the width is correct and the tire is not stretched means that the tire is taller. Thus the car does rub on when the wheels are locked and you are turning.

What have we learned from this: 8 is the widest 18" rim you want on the front and 225 tires will fit it perfectly.

Not to start a flame war, but here is my 2 cents on the situation. 18's look great, but 17" rims are lighter, ride better, cost less and the tires are cheaper and last longer. To be honest most of us need to get over the vanity of running 18's and just head back to 17's it is what our cars were designed to run and what they run best on. If you show your car, the ignore me, 'cause you ain't gonna win shit on 17's. But if you drive you car, roll with 17's.

~dnm
    Well said and I totally agreed.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Originally posted by jnolte
    HEY JRE U WANNA DO THE TRADE OR NOT??? I have been trying to contact you all day i dont know if ur busy or what but tell me what you think.

I can either get him to send them to my house and your house then you send me my rims or i can get all 4 sent to my house and you send your rims to me and i send your 2 to you?? Its your choice!!
    Calm down and don't get too excited. You got MAIL!!!!!!
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Originally posted by JRE320
    Calm down and don't get too excited. You got MAIL!!!!!!

Yeah yeah i got it
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

OG Moderator
    in my opinion 17" is too small for W202 especially in todays trend

I'd consider 17" only for winter mode and track usage..

I think 18" is the best choice for everyday use, since It would probably the best combination for looks and performance

Sure 17" would have more comfortable ride, there is no doubt...

but what I like to have is to make my car looks as aggressive and elegance at the same time..

I am the type of person who never satisfied with stock
    that's just me

Look at this for comparison

18" AMG Monoblok II

vs

17" AMG SLK

Yeah 18s look good. The 17s look goofy
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition