Thread: Replacing of heated seats switches with folding mirror switch

Replacing of heated seats switches with folding mirror switch

I'm currently in the midst of fitting the facelifted w210 (folding/dimming/blinking) mirrors onto my w202. As my car does not come with folding/dimming, I need to add these in and I’ve gotten the necessary switch and harnesses.

My w202 comes with heated front seats but I won’t be needing them in the near future as I’m taking it away to a warmer climate ( 30 C all year round ) hence I was thinking of removing the switches and putting the folding switch in them.

The problem is that I’ve tried removing the switches only to find out that it comes together with a busbar connecting the two switches leaving me with two holes on the console. I also found out that the ASR and the tilt/motion sensor switches could not work with the removal of the heated switches as some of the contacts are integrated to the busbar assembly.

So my questions are :

1. Is there a blanking plate that could be used to cover the additional hole other than putting another mod in?
    2. Any way to overcome the ASR and tilt/motion switch not working? I’ve noticed that two connections at the bottom of each switch is missing due to the removal of the busbar assembly ( assumed that they’re the live and earth connection ).

I know the obvious answer is to place the switch at the OEM placement which is next to the mirror adjuster switch but I’m not confident with my dremel skills especially with prospect of bu****ing the install and the price of a replacement console.

Any help and pointer is greatly appreciated.
    rizal
    1998 E240 Avantgarde Black
    1998 C200 Esprit Black

Since you have plastic-panels, I would advise you to make a new hole in the lower panel. I'm quite sure someone will point you to the proper placement and how to remove the panel..
    ::: Sven :::

me i did a new hole in the panel where the windows buttons are.

it's really easy just ask someone with a milling machine

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Thanks for the replies.I was thinking that the panel have some metal layer in it like the wood trim in my w210, hence the reluctance of doing a new hole. If that's the case then I guess its tool time .

I just need to practice on something first before proceeding on the real trim.
    rizal
    1998 E240 Avantgarde Black
    1998 C200 Esprit Black

I did it directly on the trim, came out perfect, unfortunately the pics are on my laptop.

There is a metal layer, but for a milling it's like punching a peper.

Etienne

OG Moderator
    My w202 comes with heated front seats but I won’t be needing them in the near future as I’m taking it away to a warmer climate
    Would you be interested in removing the heated seat pads and wiring and switches and selling them to me??
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

can you just buy a new bottom panel where the window buttons are with a premade button spot? if so where
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

Install it in the factory location at the shift console panel.

If you dont want to drill you can just buy it at the dealer. The plastic (cf looking) panels are 1/10th the price of the wood ones.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    Would you be interested in removing the heated seat pads and wiring and switches and selling them to me??
    I am also searching for heated seats

Seems that the best is to buy complete front seats...

Etienne

what does that other button do next to folding mirrors? and how much for blur wood panel?
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

OG Moderator
    that button is for rear sunshade..
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

those be for the power rear sunshade
    W203! yeah... 203.. bite meeh

was there another option that can be done back there instead of rear sun shade? and does anyone have a pic of that?

***C43***

Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    what does that other button do next to folding mirrors? and how much for blur wood panel?
    I've got quoted like around 300$ canadian for the burl wood panel (mine is cracked)

I said f*ck off I'll do something else about it.

Etienne

OG Moderator
    I've got quoted like around 300$ canadian for the burl wood panel (mine is cracked)
    I said f*ck off I'll do something else about it.
    COVER IT IN REAL CARBON FIBER!!!!

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    COVER IT IN REAL CARBON FIBER!!!!
    Yeah that's what I'm planning to do, I already have the fiber and resin and vaccum system for that (we are building carbon fiber wheelchairs prototypes) so I'll use that equipment.

I'll probably do it next spring.

Etienne