Thread: good deal on navigaiton head unit

OG Moderator

good deal on navigaiton head unit

I have often considered this model...for my 202 and for my 528i. What do you guys think of this? Anyone ever actually used one?

great price and all. its just not pretty enough.
    2000 W202 C230K SE (Sold)
    2007 W203 C230

i have it... I think the styling is great very OEM like and non attention drawing

plus it plugs right in.. no special harness..no special brackets...

it looks great in the dashboard..ill post a pic

the only thing is its discontinued and i dont think they have updated maps since 2001..i have a friend that worked for harman kardon and i have a beta disk that came out june 2004 but only for the east coast.
    98 c230

upgraded grille
    harman kardon traffic pro

discontinued?!?!? definately a problem. I like the fact that it is plug and play though. It does look like it would take to long to operate for quick directions or plugging in addresses but then again I don't know it's functionality. About a month ago someone posted a nice nav system for 999....

sux they don't make the new nav disks for it. Are you sure another company doesnt make compatible disks???
    1998 C280 sport

dont pay attention to the sloppy install job. it was last winter when i got it and it was 20 degress outside. i have since ran the satelitte antenna behind the dash. installation was a snap. it was $900 a year ago. i payed $500 i use it everyday even if you know where you're going seeing the estamated time of arrival is great.

98 c230

upgraded grille

Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
    It does look like it would take to long to operate for quick directions or plugging in addresses but then again I don't know it's functionality.

sux they don't make the new nav disks for it. Are you sure another company doesnt make compatible disks???
    actually enetering places is pretty easy ..its predictive text. even street addresses are in there...

i dont ever know if they released the new disk i got in june..i quit calling harman to pester them

it is one disk for east side of usa one for west side.. i only have a copy of the updated east side. you can copy it like a regular
    CD though once you upgrade it using the beta disk you cannot go back to using the old disks i think becasue its a firmware upgrade too

i anyone on the east side of USA has one or gets one ill send you a copy of the disk if you want
    98 c230

upgraded grille

Unhappy

i've been pondering this unit for quite a while as well. thanks for the pics detriot 202. i always wondered how it would actually look in the car. did you buy a changer as well? one thing that sucks is i'd lose my changer and (useless) phone if i did this.
    AMG or nothing.

CKlasse
    I LIKE IT... is the LED display only one color?

Does this one have any video outs? I'm wondering whether u can hook it up to a monitor. i'm not a big fan of the LED.
    95 c220
    17\" Vault wheels

Currently working on my \"carputer\"

to answer ur guys questions..

yup the display is only one color. they sell it in three seperate colors yellow, green, and orangish red.. made for land rovers and bmws i think

no video output

it has phone hookup capibilities but i dont use it so i dont know whats compatable. see this pdf for photo of the back of it maybe you can see if your changer will fit

the only thing that dident plug and play was the revese signal.. you have to dig up some wire from your tranny so the thing knows when you are in reverse. big deal i know when im driving backwards.. after you pull out your drive way it recallibrates anyway.

remeber this thing only works with cars already wired up for speed sensitive volume control. and id assume non fiberoptic. so i dont know if older 202s have it.. i think so though. i have a 98

http://www.hktrafficpro.com/4773_Install_US_CD1.pdf
    98 c230

upgraded grille

Yesterday I was in a 2004 Land Rover Freelander and it has...as a factory option....the Traffic pro. There are two discs supplied by LandRover; an east and a west. Both disc are copyrighted 2004. I dont if that is any newer than the discs discussed but might be an option to look into if someone is trying to find an updated disc

Originally posted by detroit202

i anyone on the east side of USA has one or gets one ill send you a copy of the disk if you want

detroit202,

I called Harman Kardon this morning... they said the two CDs
    that came with the unit are the latest and ONLY discs available.

I bought the TrafficPro unit a few days ago and will probably
    install it this weekend.

Anyway, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to send
    me a copy of the '04 East-USA disk you have? If so, please
    let me know. Click my profile to send me email...

THANKS!!!

bobcat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I had just ripped out and returned the $2000 Pioneer
    AVIC-N1 DVD in-dash navigation system, which was unacceptable
    because of excessive cooling fan noise. The dealer was very
    nice and allowed me to exchange the unit three times.
    All four of them made the same noise and the store manager
    heard it also. It's got cooling fans behind the
    headunit and sound just like computer cooling fans. I can
    even hear it at 60mph with music playing...

Now I will probably give the TrafficPro a try.

email sent !
    98 c230

upgraded grille

Beta disc

I would sure like to try that disk also- any possibility?

Thanks

Tim

Originally posted by detroit202
    email sent !
    Thank you very much!!!! Got it over the weekend.

hey gorister- any updates on the disk from the land rover?

my only issues w/the unit are that it doesnt play mp3s and that the maps aren't updated. looks like this puppy is on the road to obsolescence...