Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: system makes my car RATTLE!

system makes my car RATTLE!

i heard if i cut a hole or add ports in my rear deck that my sub will sound much better and my trunk will not rattle as much. can anyone back this up? i have a non-sport c230k and there is no hole where the rear armrest is. would this be the problem to all my rattling??

OG Moderator
    The best way it to put matting on your rear deck and trunk lid. You can try dynamat or some other company and then install them.

I just got (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T1 subs in a sealed box. Then I removed the reardeck speakers and left that open and applied one layer of Xtreme Dynamat. And there is no rattle i can hear unless the bass drowns it out.

will this get rid of my rattling trunk?? i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling

Originally posted by albanianbenz
    I just got (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T1 subs in a sealed box. Then I removed the reardeck speakers and left that open and applied one layer of Xtreme Dynamat. And there is no rattle i can hear unless the bass drowns it out.
    how did u take out the rear deck speakers?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by ryhi
    i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling
    That's why you need dynamat.

how did u take out the rear deck speakers?
    The simple answer is you need to take out the rear deck. Please use search.

dynamat is too expensive..

other alternative that work just as well..

secondskin.. fatmat.. brownbread.. etc.. search ebay..

will this get rid of my rattling trunk?? i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling
    are you sure its the trunk and not the vent in the trunk, sounds like its flapping?

YES

Originally posted by audiophile
    are you sure its the trunk and not the vent in the trunk, sounds like its flapping?
    Yes, EXACTLY! Mine sounds like theres a piece of rubber or plastic, "flapping" around under neath the trunk. Is there any way to fix this, as it is so freaking annoying. thanks-

-sholly

its the trunklid AND the flapping.

yea...what the heck is that flapping lol
    i can't figure out what it is!

Are you guys talking about a sound heard from inside, or outside? Dynamat on the rear deck would only insulate the sub more from the cabin, am I right?

For inside rattles, try removing the black plastic tray inside the first aid kit area, it could be rattling against the sheet metal below it. Then, of course your first aid kit lid has nothing to latch to, which is a whole new problem. I know the lid to my first aid kit rattles quite a bit ever since the double sided tape I used on it failed. Also, make sure none of the speaker wires below the rear deck (between the carpeted surface and the sheet metal) are rattling against the metal. Felt and double sided tape can fix that.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

i only hear rattles outside..

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by vbrock1137
    Dynamat on the rear deck would only insulate the sub more from the cabin, am I right?
    When the rear deck rattle, you want to dynamat the surface between the metal reinforcement and the rear shelf. You do not want to block the hole. The dynamat will be a layer between the metal and the shelf so it will not rattle.

Originally posted by pnsji
    When the rear deck rattle, you want to dynamat the surface between the metal reinforcement and the rear shelf. You do not want to block the hole. The dynamat will be a layer between the metal and the shelf so it will not rattle.
    Please confirm that the whole holes have to be also covered by the dynamat.

Thanks a lot

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 1998K
    Please confirm that the whole holes have to be also covered by the dynamat.
    Not for the real deck. You want to allow some air moving from the trunk to the cabin. This is how the bass created by the subwoofer could go into the cabin.

i dont think you can cover up that vent on the passenger side of the trunk (thats what causes the flapping noise on mine also) because it allows for pressure equalization when you close your trunk. i really want to get rid of those damn flaps though.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

i think those flaps are for the battery, i.e. vent

so I assume

So I assume this means they must stay... Damn, it sounds like a piece of linoleum floor tile is slapping against something when the bass is cranked. Ah well, the disadvantages of havingh a system...

-sholly

Not for the real deck. You want to allow some air moving from the trunk to the cabin. This is how the bass created by the subwoofer could go into the cabin.
    thanks a lot, so you are saing that I cover with dynamat but keep open the 2 holes in order to permit the bass from the sub-woofer in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm so idiot please confirm again sorry for my bad english

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 1998K
    thanks a lot, so you are saing that I cover with dynamat but keep open the 2 holes in order to permit the bass from the sub-woofer in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm so idiot please confirm again sorry for my bad english
    Yes

OG Moderator
    BTW, matting the trunk lid:

Edit:
    Here is matting behind the rear deck. Please notice that the speaker hole is not matted.

good info thanks everyone

Yes

thanks a lot you are very nice.

you could plug up the holes if you have an optima or some sealed maitnence free battery.