Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K&N filter

CKlasse
    basically, its a memory bank that reads OBDII correct? How do you retrieve the data?

EDIT: Oops nevermind..I just went to the site and got the info

Includes data logger, software on CD, download cable, and power adapter. Requires Windows 95 or above, at least 5MB free hard disk space, and one free serial port. Add our optional USB-to-Serial Cable to connect to USB.
    Pretty nifty!

Go to a K&N, they do work, contrary to what a lot of people say. They are for real and a good investment, I started in 94 with my first K&N in my wife Audi 100S wagaon, today the car is still running great with 95k+ miles. Just had a tuneup and I had the mechanic install Bosch plus 4's, the original plugs were nice and clean also the car never had a MAS failure.
    Benzmeister
    1999 C280

Originally posted by pnsji
    Hehe I installed K&N already and I do NOT think it helps my engine at all (except allowing more dirt inside the engine).

So I do not agree with the jnolte that he told everybody that it helps the engine...........

WELL, I think they do help... Anywayz what are you talking about??? In the scotty-c website it says you like them hippocrite. hahaha lol.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

In Charge
    ok, from what I can gather on the forums, it looks like a K&N filter with excessive oil can hurt your cars. i also noticed alot of the people posting have the M104 based engine. i am guessing it has something to do with the location of the MAS. since it is right up the way form the airbox/filter, then it is probably easier to get oil on the MAS.

now, on my car I dont even know the location of the MAS. I am guessing it is buried somewhere after the airbox. I know the airbox is attached to a wire/mesh-like opening going into my engine. I am guessing it is right after that or even further down the way?

my point being, is that M104 engines are proned to the MAS failure b/c of the close location of the MAS. if my car's MAS is relatively close to the airbox, then I should see a MAS failure coming up i the near future (knock on wood).

anyone know where the MAS in a C43 is located?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

When you pull your airbox off and see that round piece with the screens, that is your MAF. It connects to a 90 degree elbow that runs into your throttle body. The MAF is about 4 inches long.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

I've read on some other Mercedes boards that Mercedes has a problem with the MAS in the V6 model year 99 C class. I've read about people having them changed once a year. So I don't think the K&N if oiled correctly causes the problem. When I got a check engine lite, I called my dealer and he said on the phone it's probably the MAS, he went on to say they replace them frequently in C280 V6
    Benzmeister
    1999 C280