Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camber Adjustment For 'rear' Of 202

CKlasse

Camber Adjustment For 'rear' Of 202

Hey,

Those who lowered their car and seek to adjust their rear camber back to -.5 to -1.0 should already knew that W202 does not have adjustable camber.

Recently, I inquired a major alignment products/tools manufacturer, Speciality Products, Inc regarding a camber kit for the GOLF MK IV (Bro's), PASSAT, and of course the beloved W202. They recommended Spec-Prod shims for the rear. The calculation/installation are tricky, but it does the trick. Now, I only have them done on the GOLF & PASSAT last week, so by all mean, durability or endurance is something to be seen.

Furthermore, these shims are nothing more than tappered off plastic 'spacer' installed behind your drum/rear break. The angled shim corrects the Camber quite effectively.

Finally, I am having the same kit installed on the W202 in a week or so. If anyone has some experience with the same products, please do share the bads and goods.

The following is the company's info.
    Speciality Products Inc.
    800-525-6505.

Ciao!

Re: Camber Adjustment For 'rear' Of 202

Originally posted by CKlasse
    Hey,

Those who lowered their car and seek to adjust their rear camber back to -.5 to -1.0 should already knew that W202 does not have adjustable camber.

Recently, I inquired a major alignment products/tools manufacturer, Speciality Products, Inc regarding a camber kit for the GOLF MK IV (Bro's), PASSAT, and of course the beloved W202. They recommended Spec-Prod shims for the rear. The calculation/installation are tricky, but it does the trick. Now, I only have them done on the GOLF & PASSAT last week, so by all mean, durability or endurance is something to be seen.

Furthermore, these shims are nothing more than tappered off plastic 'spacer' installed behind your drum/rear break. The angled shim corrects the Camber quite effectively.

Finally, I am having the same kit installed on the W202 in a week or so. If anyone has some experience with the same products, please do share the bads and goods.

The following is the company's info.
    Speciality Products Inc.
    800-525-6505.

Ciao!
    How much did you pay for em?? did you have a shop install them or did you do it??

RegaRdz

J nolte
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

CKlasse
    There were three of us, however, it was our instructor (MechEngineer) who did most of the work. It costed $20 per box of 4 shims. One corner requires upto 2 shims.

They shoved those on my MkII but mines where out of metal though. I didnt go to a special shop for them though. Just went to a local alignment shop and he said that my aligment was out of wack because of my drop that he would put these wedges in.

However mines was installed between the the shock and the lower shock bolts for the push.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

CKlasse
    Nokia,

Did it last long? Considering what's this made off, I would say no more than 2 years before readjustment needed.

They are "expendable" so each time you get an alignment you should have them stick in a new set. But if youre asking if they kept with the car instead of fly off while driving.... they stuck.

OG Moderator

Question

Would please someone post an update when available

this would be a good mod, since the chamber kit cost approx $300

Regardz,

J Irwan

CKlasse is this it?

CKlasse
    Nokia..no, those are the plastic kind. I have had bad experience with those. The new one is made of nylon of some sort. It supposed to be much stronger. I'll post picture if I have a chance.

OG Moderator
    hm.......:ermm: :ermm:

How do you mount this...

from the pic , looks like it has to be mounted behind the hub carrier...????

Regardz,

J Irwan

CKlasse
    Yes, they are mounted behind your brake shield/drums.

Why don't you have the rear camber links you can buy from Benzsboy installed. They will do a better job and will not ever go out of adjustment.

http://benzboy.com/Parts/carview.php?view=43

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

OG Moderator
    is it just those two bars that adjust the camber?? that looks really simple.

Yes, just those two bars. They have threaded rod ends on each end and allow easy adjustment of camber.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

First, I read benzboy custom makes them and he isn't making anymore.

Seconed, those are for a W124.
    2005 TSX Graphite Pearl Auto With NAVI
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

1997 AMG C36 (RIP Thank God)
    OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    Speedybenz custom rear camber arms
    W210 mirrors

Well he is making them as I have a set in my garage to install and while for a W124, they do fit a W202.

And they are very nicely made and complete.

Jeff

You sure they fit? I thought you had to modify the control arm fo r them to fit like drilling new mounting hold or something?

man got a contact # and how much?
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    W210 mirrors

It say's drilling required and for racing only?
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

I think you need to drill a new hole in the upper control arm or something like that so you can attach the comber rod. The stock hole is either too small or too close to fit the rod.
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    W210 mirrors

He used 1/2" rod ends and the stock holes are 12mm. So you need to open up the holes 0.040", which would be like 5mins with a small round file.

The refenece to racing is that these arm do not have any rubber bushing, so thier is some potential to have some unwanted noise. But with good rod ends the noise is nill.

Jeff

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by speedybenz
    He used 1/2" rod ends and the stock holes are 12mm. So you need to open up the holes 0.040", which would be like 5mins with a small round file.

The refenece to racing is that these arm do not have any rubber bushing, so thier is some potential to have some unwanted noise. But with good rod ends the noise is nill.

Jeff

Jeff,

Can't he make correct size for the hole, so we don't have to anything to make the hole fit..???

Have you fitted this on your car yet...?
    Also what is the update the bushing man...?

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

CKlasse
    Jeff,

any chances you have installed these on your C43 by now? How much adjustment do these rods have. Thanks

CKlass,

I was going to put them on but decided against it. I know there would be several degrees of camber adjustment if they were on.

I am positive that you could start with -2 degrees camber and adjust the wheels to 0 camber.

But I am looking into Metric Rod ends and Metric tie rods so I could make sets of these so they will just fit right up.

I have a quote on metirc heim joint rod ends, now I just need to find the tie rods.

Jeff

Speedy, you think you can make some for sale to some of us?
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    W210 mirrors

Yes, on these camber adjustment rods/links I would want to make 4 to 6 sets. The cost of the rod ends go done some and the effort on this fabrication is not too much more to make several sets.

I would like to get a list of people and then take a deposit forthe parts cost.

The cost will only be the parts cost plus the cost of any outside labor.

Rough estimate is about $200 for the two camber links, one for the left and right side of the car.

I will do my search for metric tie rods to finish up the parts list.

Jeff