Thread: Manual w202 pops out of 3rd Gear

Question Manual w202 pops out of 3rd Gear

I appreciate this might not be something most of you will be able to help with - I don't think the w202 was ever available in the US as a manual transmission.

However, I am hoping some of the Euro members might be able to help - maybe even Steve will read this........

1999 C230 Kompressor, manual, 98K miles.

Pops out of 3rd gear.

OK going up to 3rd and under load, but under light load, braking etc pops out of gear.

Mechanic thinks mounts are OK so problem is internal to the box.

Anyone else had this?

Any ideas?
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport. Manual.
    17\" AMG\'s, AMG \'43 Exhaust, Xenons, Custom Grille, 10\" JL Sub, Kenwood MP3, Handsfree and 5.8\" LCD DVD SatNav

hey graham,
    iv been in a WRX with this same problem,the teeth on second were badly worn......

iv just had the benz box in for a refresh all gears were fine,they just did bearings and seals...cost me $1065.....it better shift alittle better!!!

Regards,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Try shifting with your RIGHT hand?
    Yes, I have a few mods, but they\'re so discrete, my wife hasn\'t noticed them.

2000 C 230 K

Hey Graham, I've already replied on your English Forum, being mine also manual, really sorry to hear about this problem. I'm not a mechanic but, as per my little experience it should be, as said, an internal box problem, probably a worn gear

What's is strange is also if MB manual gearbox are not the best, they should last for a lot of kilometers/miles (as also experienced by Steve on his Classic Dinosaur with 555000? km).

Good luck.

i had the same problem with my infiniti g20... mechanic couldnt find a problem, i just had to hold the shifter in place for all gears, b/c 2nd/3rd and 5th would pop out
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

Originally posted by alboogiee
    i had the same problem with my infiniti g20... mechanic couldnt find a problem, i just had to hold the shifter in place for all gears, b/c 2nd/3rd and 5th would pop out
    a mechanic have to find the problem.

it was my beater... i didnt care to spend the $$ on it when it still went point a to b... he did basic diagnosis, pulled code, i wouldnt authorize pulling the tranny apart or a clutch job...
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

it was my beater... i didnt care to spend the $$ on it when it still went point a to b... he did basic diagnosis, pulled code, i wouldnt authorize pulling the tranny apart or a clutch job...
    No wonder it wasn't fixed then!

Mine is coming apart soon and a new clutch going in at the same time.
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport. Manual.
    17\" AMG\'s, AMG \'43 Exhaust, Xenons, Custom Grille, 10\" JL Sub, Kenwood MP3, Handsfree and 5.8\" LCD DVD SatNav

Ok I understand you are perfectly right.

But my comment was referred to the mechanic that, in any case, should be able to diagnose where the problem is

Originally posted by 1998K
    Ok I understand you are perfectly right.

But my comment was referred to the mechanic that, in any case, should be able to diagnose where the problem is
    very much agree, i have since then changed mechanics twice mostly due to incompetence and high prices...
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

very much agree, i have since then changed mechanics twice mostly due to incompetence and high prices...
    incompetence and also high prices
    :bored: