Thread: gas gauge does not work, sometimes?

gas gauge does not work, sometimes?

uhh ya haha.. this has happend the 2nd time in 2 months. my gas gauge stopped working untill I shut off the car and restarted it. it usually happens right after I fill the car up with gas. and im not putting more gas in after the cut off shuts the gas pump off..

its not a real big problem cuzz I wouldnt care if I had no gas gauge anyhow.. I use my trip meter to know how much gas I have in the tank.. when I get around 300miles I know its time for a fill up

anyways.. any of your gauges do this ?

I don't mean this to be an @ss, but this defintely is a topic covered here before. if there was ever a topic to search for, this would be one

But yes, a lot of us have this problem.

there are 2 ways to fix this... you can either beat your dash with a big stick until the guage reads again... or you can take the cluster out and clean the needle with alcohol (it gets gooey and then sticks)... although the first option is fun... the later is more practical...

Sean

Serious?

There's also the possibility of incorrect readings from the fuel sending units.

right... but when the fuel sending units are not functioning properly it will read like he has an empty tank... (gas light will be on)... if that is not the case... and it is just stuck... as it seems to be in this case... cleaning the goo that gets on the needle will repair this problem... 9 times out of 10 it is a goo problem as opposed to a fuel sensing problem...

Sean

OG Moderator
    Fuel sending unit and low fuel is two different sensor. So you can have the needle pointing to empty but the low fuel light is not on if the fuel sending unit is the problem.

Had the same problem with my C36.........
    Just run the highest octane fuel you can get with a bottle of injector cleaner........fixed my issues!

GM cars had the same issue........they ran injector cleaner through a tank to resolve.

Have a hard time thinking that your needle is sticking

Originally posted by misterblack
    Have a hard time thinking that your needle is sticking

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=4&fid=15

Sean

thanks for the link.......but did they find out if that was the actual problem?

oh...btw.....the link you posted....the guy wrote back with this:

"I think the gauges are in a sealed unit, are they not?
    Anyway, to be honest that is not the real problem: The real problem is the the indicators - I think it has to be realy problems but I would like to have heard from somebody who really knows about this kind of problem."

btw.....was not trying to say that your suggestion would not work.....just said that it's not something I would consider.....had no idea you would take it personal....sorry to hurt your feelings!

thanks again!

oh....I think this guy may still have that fuel issue......anyone else have suggestions?

please misterblack read the post... the guy with the handle "hawk" is a mercedes tech... so i usually take what he says into consideration... and so should you...

and you obviously dont know much about a 202... judging by most of your strage posts...

like this

if you actually had experience in the subject of which you are posting... you would know that the guage pod is definitely NOT a sealed unit...

how do you think we change to the white faces??

...anyway... if the 1 or both fuel sending units are bad you will have to jack the rear end of the car up to get to them... its very difficult and i would definitly suggest making sure its not just the needle sticking... as that is a much easier fix...

...and just for you misterblack... http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ight=gas+guage

In regards to the fuel sending unit issue.. its not a DIY job.. the fuel tank needs to be drained and then the fuel sending units need to be replaced... they are located on the underside of the car on the bottom of the gas tank... need to get the car in the air.. remove covers for sending units, need special tool to remove sending units also! there r 2 sending units.. one on the left I think gets the return fuel from the engine and pushes it back into the tank to be reused again.. the one on the right side is the fuel level sensor/fuel tank pressure sensor.

so definitely check to make sure its not a gooey needle issue before you try to tackle the fuel sending units...

Sean

For real, repairing the fuel sending units aren't easy. I was quoted almost $800 from my mechanic. He showed me what needed to be done and I was like, eh.....it doesn't bother me THAT much anymore!

alphanumeric...give the needles a try.....if it works...problem solved...but please post when you find out what the issue is.

djdoughboy.....thanks!

youre weird man... but your welcome...

Sean