Thread: got H&R full kit, but...

got H&R full kit, but...

first of all, i got my H&R the other day and after installed.. it looks just awesome. ( one thing that disturbs me is that i think the front is too slammed and the rear isnt that lowered.. ) but anyway, my front tires used to scrape when i turn 80%+ steering wheel, but after changing it to 225 tires its fine.. ( yes.. much more comfortable without the annoying sounds )

BUT, when i used to had my stock suspension ( everything ) there were no problems turning 0-100% steering wheel. now with the car with sport suspensions when i turn around 80%+ the steering wheel, i feel that theres a joint that's loose and you can turn the steering wheel very wobbly.. ( i dunt kno how to exactly explain it ) but yea.. its a wierd feeling..
    to be honest, its fine.. but its just the 80%+ steer wobbly feeling thats alittle annoying.. ( tell me if its natural when u have sport suspensions or not )

btw, any H&R suspension and spring users? these kits are SOO bumpy..

hey,
    I'll "attempt" to answer this.....

when you lower your car there are a few things in your steering and suspension geometry that change...

one is your front camber,this can cause the wheels to pivot on the outer edges when you turn in the 80% area...thus giving you a floating effect from the steering wheel,and in my case at this point the steering wheels now pulls its self round!!....this is also affected by size and type of tire used....

secondly,your steering arms will now be toeing in or out,if you have not had it corrected....this also causes the car to "track" due to geometry changes as you go over ups and downsin the road,and will also effect the way the car acts under full lock...

and check your lower arm bushes,and nuckle joints for wear..

Regards
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

I've changed from stock elegance set up to H&R + Koni externally adjustable damper. A part the loss of comfort, yes a lot , I don't have that problem on the steering.

...but I'm running on 16" tyres, only 205 width

Originally posted by 1998K
    ...but I'm running on 16" tyres, only 205 width
    hey 1998K,....yeh running tires that size should run fine,but if your like me and run 235/35/19 up front,then tight turning is never as smooth again!!(its close though) ....yet just another sacrifice for big rims and tyres...

....iv got my ext adj dampers set to soft all round,
    how about you?

thanks for the reply guys..
    just wondering, will the "floating" effect do any harm to the car? in terms of damaging etc..

Originally posted by 23K
    hey 1998K,....yeh running tires that size should run fine,but if your like me and run 235/35/19 up front,then tight turning is never as smooth again!!(its close though) ....yet just another sacrifice for big rims and tyres...

....iv got my ext adj dampers set to soft all round,
    how about you?
    Hey 23K,
    19 wheels are quite impressive. Passing from elegance set up I really was shocked to stiffer H&R and Koni ride but car is like a train now before was like a boat

First three mounths ride was quite stiff after a little use the damper seems me now are a little softer. (obviuosly I refer to the same set up: 80% of max stiff both front and rear).

But since a pair of days I've reduced to minimum (a quarter of turn) to enjoy for a couple of weeks the older elegance comfortable set-up.

Originally posted by yusuke280
    thanks for the reply guys..
    just wondering, will the "floating" effect do any harm to the car? in terms of damaging etc..
    glad to help...
    there will be no damage to your car....
    but there will be an increase in tire wear due to increased camber and caster...

-the increase in positive caster MAY make the steering "slightly" heavier in the corners...and really wear the edges of your tires when turning Full-lock...

-the increase in positive camber will wear the inside of the wheel under normal driving and help along with the caster to wear heavily on full-lock

another point to consider when lowering your car is to release the tension on the fixed rubber bushes on all of your suspension arms after installation,if you have not done so already....
    this will help preserve the life of the bushing.

Regards,
    Paul

Originally posted by 1998K
    Hey 23K,
    19 wheels are quite impressive. Passing from elegance set up I really was shocked to stiffer H&R and Koni ride but car is like a train now before was like a boat

First three mounths ride was quite stiff after a little use the damper seems me now are a little softer. (obviuosly I refer to the same set up: 80% of max stiff both front and rear).

But since a pair of days I've reduced to minimum (a quarter of turn) to enjoy for a couple of weeks the older elegance comfortable set-up.
    yeh mine was very boat'ish to before the upgrade...but is on rails now too...I had them set to hard the first week....but now i just use them on the softest value....my gurl likes it that way lol...i'm whipped....

actually i have h&r's and they handle really well and flat but pretty comfortable. actually feels like a G35 ride, donno what yall mean by bumpy?

i'm using bilstein sports up front and stock rears (reason, i'm broke, and building a project civic hatch)
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front
    - 17\" MOMO\'s

Originally posted by 23K
    yeh mine was very boat'ish to before the upgrade...but is on rails now too...I had them set to hard the first week....but now i just use them on the softest value....my gurl likes it that way lol...i'm whipped....
    I perfectly understand your problem, similar to mine

In any case also at softest value ride comfort is quite far from oldest elegance-boat set-up.

I didn't know about the suggestion to "release the tension on the fixed rubber bushes on all of your suspension arms after installation". I hope the shop did it when installed the new suspension :bored: